Neighbourhood or Elite Primary School

Caldina

Yes, so it depends on individual child. But I still believe that being in a "good" school is more beneficial cuz, even if a child is unable to excel in that school, the parents can step in an ensure that the child understands that he/she isn't lousy as long as they do their best. But of course it will become a problem if the child is in an elite school and the parents still expect the child to come in first without understanding the limits of their own children.

But when a child goes to a school where the standards are lower, it is hard for the parents to show to the child that they are able to do better if they put in their best effort, especially if the child is already the top in class. Just like how my parents were encouraging me to read more and learn more when i was in primary school, but i didn't feel it was necessary as I was the "best" already. I felt I was already doing my best since I was always topping the cohort.

There are inventive ways to spur one's child.  Relying on class position benchmarking is, as you say, not so useful when you're top of your cohort. It boils down to whether the parents want to spare the effort and time. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged

There are inventive ways to spur one's child.  Relying on class position benchmarking is, as you say, not so useful when you're top of your cohort. It boils down to whether the parents want to spare the effort and time. 

I think this is easier said than done. If everyone around is is lousier than you, its human nature to lower down your standards. 

To me, the most impt thing about an elite school is the competition it affords. 

• Praise 2

You say competition, I think improvement and development opportunity, not emotional depression.

Bounce bounce, on the bounce.

Starship troopers!

(edited)

Are we talking about elite primary of secondary school? For primary school, there is no concrete evidence that the elite primary schools produce better students. In fact, many of the top PSLE students (which was reported in the past) came from neighbourhood schools. Or rather some neighbourhood primary school in Jurong like Rulang become "elite" after producing top students year after year.

I think this is easier said than done. If everyone around is is lousier than you, its human nature to lower down your standards. 

To me, the most impt thing about an elite school is the competition it affords. 

Edited by Icemaiden

(edited)

Yes, so it depends on individual child. But I still believe that being in a "good" school is more beneficial cuz, even if a child is unable to excel in that school, the parents can step in an ensure that the child understands that he/she isn't lousy as long as they do their best. But of course it will become a problem if the child is in an elite school and the parents still expect the child to come in first without understanding the limits of their own children.

But when a child goes to a school where the standards are lower, it is hard for the parents to show to the child that they are able to do better if they put in their best effort, especially if the child is already the top in class. Just like how my parents were encouraging me to read more and learn more when i was in primary school, but i didn't feel it was necessary as I was the "best" already. I felt I was already doing my best since I was always topping the cohort.

Not for everyone i think.."good schools" that is.

I was from catholic high...never broke out of the last 20 every year from sec 2 onwards. lol

Edited by Ahseng

I think it does. If I had gone to a "good" school, I might have gotten even better results. My parents felt that going to the nearest school is the best, so I ended up at a school where no one wants to go to. Only on the last day of pri 1 registration then there will be people registering cuz they have no choice already.

Over there, I was always top in class and I felt I am very good already. Should have no problem getting a good score for PSLE, so I didn't study much for it. Didn't have tuition and didn't study much at all. All I did was complete my homework everyday. Ended up getting an average score which enabled me to enter a better secondary school. It was when i was there then i realized that I was not so clever after all.

Although I was the top 10 for PSLE in my primary school, I was last among those who entered the secondary school without affiliation. If I had been in another primary school where the standard was higher, The PSLE score I got would have put me somewhere in the middle or towards the bottom if I had been in those elite primary schools. If I knew that was the standard, I would have studied alittle bit more for PSLE and gotten even better results and would have more choices for secondary school which is the most important phase IMO.

hmm kinda true last time.

I was top 2-3 dog in my school also. then go sec school onwards, then can be average/median score already arm cheo liao  [laugh]

But i think the competitiveness in primary school nowadays is much higher. Even in neighbourhood primary schools.

• Praise 1

Are we talking about elite primary of secondary school? For primary school, there is no concrete evidence that the elite primary schools produce better students. In fact, many of the top PSLE students (which was reported in the past) came from neighbourhood schools. Or rather some neighbourhood primary school in Jurong like Rulang become "elite" after producing top students year after year.

Rulang has been the best primary school in the west since 1990s liao.  [:)]

Granted there aren't many long history primary schools in the west originally.

Twincharged

Not for everyone i think.."good schools" that is.

I was from catholic high...never broke out of the last 20 every year from sec 2 onwards. lol

I was from the same school. Although I was always in the middle or towards the bottom, at least the O level results I got was still better than national average and still eligible for most JCs except the top 2. In fact, for my cohort, the last student in school can still enter a good JC. The standard is higher and we were pushed to study harder.

My brother who was contented being average in the same primary school I went to, ended up in a neighborhood secondary school and there was less stress, but the average students there also had lower expectations and to them L1R5 of 20 and below is enough. Can tell they are more relaxed and less likely to study and push each other to work harder. Only a handful of them were working hard to score as high as they can for O levels.

• Praise 2

Twincharged
(edited)

IMO, the top PSLE students are usually the very bright ones who will score very high for PSLE no matter which school they go to. I think the average PSLE score is more important than the top score of the school. Almost every school will have a student who can score 275 and above. 

Edited by Nzy

Hypersonic

You shouldn't gauge by one or two top students.. They are consider outliers, students who are born smart and not becoz of the education system

We should look at the mean scores of the cohort. And generally elite  and a few neigborhood schools has consistently produce very high mean PSLE scores. Now these data aren't available anymore, as MOE does not want to create unofficial school ranking. 

• Praise 2

Minister told us all schools are good schools.

Just ignore those better, best and elite ones [laugh] [laugh]

Biggest joke :D

All Singaporeans know that NOT all schools are good schools ...

Yala...all schools are basically good schools, just that some are good-er...some are good-est. 

but as a baseline they're all good.

:)

Its true all schools are good schools.

They check them every year.

No leaks in the roof, the wall not cracking,

the building not falling down, so its perfectly

good. 

:D

• Praise 1

(edited)

Yala...all schools are basically good schools, just that some are good-er...some are good-est. 

If you are truly applying to a neighbourhood school, shouldnt be too difficult to get bah. Unless it's in a neighbourhood like SK or Punggol whereby the young children density is high.

This is from my analysis of the schools in my neighbourhood.

Edited by Lala81

Yes, tend to agree.

Much as we always like to lament about inequality in schs

But to be honest, the govt has done an excellent job improving our sch environment, quality of teachers and ways of assessments etc over the years.

Sometimes we feel a sense of injustice when our kids cannot get into branded schs or selected into elite programmes.

But by and large, the general standards in our schs are high.

From the parents perspective, its more with who the kids rub shoulders with, whether with so and so famous persons' children or grandchildren or with children of lesser known people

Certainly this is one area (improving the culture and promoting good peer influence) that all our schs can further improve upon.

• Praise 14

Turbocharged

We should build some elite schools in one of the remote island to cater for the special group of people. From there, they can then go oversea to elite schools and don't come back.

The rest of the government schools must be of equal standard. With classes to cater for different ability of each child. That is why they are built near homes.

Let the PLSE result determine which school you can apply for secondary. No special points for affiliation or grandmother association.

Special sport school for those excel in sport or other special performances.

Why make education so complicated? Why bread classifications at such a young age? Who started all these? 

Turbocharged

Just wonder why there is such things as good and bad government schools? Do we have good and bad hospitals too?

Did MOM created this ranking and send better teachers, principles and of course students to their good schools? If that is the case, the root cause has to be removed first. All schools will then be so good you need not choose. [:p]

↡ Advertisement