Neighbourhood or Elite Primary School

Caldina

Twincharged
(edited)

Personally I believe in most cases whether a student do well depends a lot on the student (ability& motivation) and his teacher (who inspires)

Then comes which school.

in general elite school have more well educated and better off financially families. Less likely to end up or be influenced to loan shark runner.

I also think some at least sent their kids to elite school for networking for their parents themselves as well as for their kids. When they go up with these networking better opportunity in life.

I also feel that the school makes a big difference because the students in the school makes a big difference to how the child will turn out. They spend most of their time with their classmates and are more likely to be influenced by their classmates than any friends they have outside of school.

Between a neighborhood school and a good school, I feel that good schools tend to have lesser "bad" students who will be a bad influence. My brother was from a neighborhood sec sch and I was from an average or maybe abit better than average one. The activities which the students take part in after school were very different.

Edited by Nzy
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Reality is parents with more resources/wealth who are upper middle class & above will almost always send their children to the elite schools. Now that the top schools can no longer receive a cash donation for a direct entry, I have friends who have to clock hours at school to do talks, bring school kids to their clinics to gain insights, organize golf Charity events for fund raising etc...u get the point...

Even elite schools filter & welcome parents who can add value to their organization...u are considered lucky if Nanyang Primary take u in as a traffic warden...

That is just a fact of life...

Elite schools or neighbourhood schools, u decide...

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

Ultimately, who created this monster? The creator were reluctant to rectify it. Why? They came from the creation.

• Praise 4

Twincharged

Actually if your kids only see 1 dimension, he/she cannot survive in the real world. Not street smart and need to be spoon fed.

Best is for schools to have mixed environment. Of course they will be spilt into different classes to cater to their individual learning speed. They must learn to live and communicate with everyone.

It depends on where you want to be when you grow up. To be with the elites or work the ground. Why do you think those from good schools like RI and RGS which many of our ministers come from fail to connect with the general public. But they do connect very well among themselves to end up where they are.
  • Praise 1

Hypersonic

can i ask why is henry park primary popular? thx

Becos got ang moh mia... AMTK :XD:

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

can i ask why is henry park primary popular? thx

Zoe Tay's chidlren goes there, that's why.  [laugh]  [laugh]

Seriously, their MEAN PSLE results are rather good. ESpecially the % who scored A and above, All subjects are above national average.

• Praise 2

(edited)

First, let's not confused primary school with secondary school. Some start naming RI n RGS which are secondary schools which take in top students. Obviously the probability of these students doing well later in life will be higher.

From my observation, these students who go through structured training n classes in top schools end up doing well in civil service and middle or back office roles, eg accountants, IT,legal counsel, engineers etc. When it comes to the most impt part of an organisation, ie sales, many of the top performers are from neighbourhood primary schools. I guess it exposes you to different characters and trains you to connect with people from all parts of society and all walks of life. And the top sales people probably make a lot more than back office because they are the heartbeat of any organisation. So well, let's not write off people who go to less well known primary schools. These people who are not mollycoddled since young are a lot more street wise.

Edited by Icemaiden
  • Praise 4

Twincharged

MOE seems to rotate teachers and principals.

Such that those who have done well in  "Elite" schs get to share their "secrets" and prove "their mettle" in not so well known schools

This will be the litmus test for defining what constitutes "good"

Then all schools can be "good" schools liao   [laugh]

Just wonder why there is such things as good and bad government schools? Do we have good and bad hospitals too?

Did MOM created this ranking and send better teachers, principles and of course students to their good schools? If that is the case, the root cause has to be removed first. All schools will then be so good you need not choose. [:p]

• Praise 4

Turbocharged

It depends on where you want to be when you grow up. To be with the elites or work the ground. Why do you think those from good schools like RI and RGS which many of our ministers come from fail to connect with the general public. But they do connect very well among themselves to end up where they are.

Bingo Bro. That is where everything goes wrong. The only way to improves, is from the top.
  • Praise 2

Turbocharged

Zoe Tay's chidlren goes there, that's why.  [laugh]  [laugh]

Seriously, their MEAN PSLE results are rather good. ESpecially the % who scored A and above, All subjects are above national average.

ok which secondary school do their graduates normally goto since no affiliations?

• Praise 1

MOE seems to rotate teachers and principals.

Such that those who have done well in  "Elite" schs get to share their "secrets" and prove "their mettle" in not so well known schools

This will be the litmus test for defining what constitutes "good"

Then all schools can be "good" schools liao   [laugh]

All schools are good school but some are better than others.

Back to basic, will any of the MPs and the Ministers send their kids to Neighbour schools ? Talk is always free.

The principals may be transferred from an Elite school to a less well known schools but the students, parents, background are all different. Not so straight forward in my opinion.

Our system has been entrenched for too long, Not impossible to change but it will take a long long time.

I would choose any primary schools with affiliation and hopefullly all the way to JCs.... example MGS, Fairfield, SJI Primary, St Andrews etc.  

• Praise 2

My kids are in Henry Park, their average scores hover around 85-95 and yet they are in the bottom 30% of their cohort. Tells a lot about the standard of the school. More precisely, the kind of peers they have.

• Praise 2

Supersonic

Elite schools are also about networking, to help them stay above the rest. Unless u dropout, its. Pretty difficult to b below 100k per annum by 40yo.

People in my batch, some my childhood friends, played the same playground...

Today, the 'lousiest' guy i know is a snr mgr. Those i've interacted w as classmate, sch mate, same neighbourhood...

Snr mgr, DPP, Economist, MP, Director in consultacy...appeared on In Conversation on TV, MIW.

the last i met was the economist. My ex classmate n once close friend. Stay either condo or likely landed based on address. Near my place. Jio me ear prata at jalan kayu, told me can join the FB, lots of our year SJI boys. I smile smile, but didnt contact him again. No point meeting-up n feel even lousier bout myself.

My wife is from today what is a within top 5 gers school. She went poly since no intention for uni. Her classmates moved to JC, uni. Today the 2 close classmates. 1 is a doctor, the other an inhouse counsel of MNC. Wife who went poly n stopped, maybe 1/3 their pay if lucky.

Thankfully i have 2 daughters. So can piggyback to enter wife's primary school. I will constantly remind them to never b a fallen one like their father. Stay within the network of minimally the middle class, just follow n stay within the circle.

Networking/cryonism if u will, is something that bnb schools cannot offer.

• Praise 3

Wah cronyism. Wah. Dun like dat leh.

Perhaps the idea of bussing in kids may help that idea of meritocracy.

Not to take kids out of elite school, but to put them in from neighborhood schools.

An option the parents can sign in on. Say P2 exams, start P3 in elite school.

A floating minimum score akin to PSLE.

Some one wrote that our system has been entrenched for too long. Yup, our form of education was descended from the Middle Ages I think. Even then only the elites had the best teachers and were of noble blood. Peasants that could afford to go to school were fortunate to get a literate person.

Usually teachers were from the clergy.

Genetics came from a Priest and his study of peas.

Chemistry from Moslem scholars.

So.

Yeah. It has always been that way, somewhat changed but you can see the tradition. All over the world.

90210 baby.

Henry Park. Yup. Good ole brown shorts. (Insai joke)

Is it the neighborhood population that make the school elite?

Yes.

Can transplants and grafts into population become elite, yes.

Is it more common for progeny from elite neighborhood to be 'successful' yes.

So, for some people, getting into St Pats may be a viable alternative then some neighborhoods.

You better believe it, some neighborhoods have a high percentage of funky parents. The likes you never believe possible in this day and age. I would sue myself if I allowed my kids to go there.

Although graduates of said school do become physicians and litigators, the percentage is minute compared to the outstanding achievements of the majority. If you catch my drift.

Someone highlighted Rulang.

The traits of the families with kids in Rulang, commensurate with say Radin Mas families? Or St Hilda's?

Turbocharged

Elite schools are also about networking, to help them stay above the rest. Unless u dropout, its. Pretty difficult to b below 100k per annum by 40yo.

People in my batch, some my childhood friends, played the same playground...

Today, the 'lousiest' guy i know is a snr mgr. Those i've interacted w as classmate, sch mate, same neighbourhood...

Snr mgr, DPP, Economist, MP, Director in consultacy...appeared on In Conversation on TV, MIW.

the last i met was the economist. My ex classmate n once close friend. Stay either condo or likely landed based on address. Near my place. Jio me ear prata at jalan kayu, told me can join the FB, lots of our year SJI boys. I smile smile, but didnt contact him again. No point meeting-up n feel even lousier bout myself.

My wife is from today what is a within top 5 gers school. She went poly since no intention for uni. Her classmates moved to JC, uni. Today the 2 close classmates. 1 is a doctor, the other an inhouse counsel of MNC. Wife who went poly n stopped, maybe 1/3 their pay if lucky.

Thankfully i have 2 daughters. So can piggyback to enter wife's primary school. I will constantly remind them to never b a fallen one like their father. Stay within the network of minimally the middle class, just follow n stay within the circle.

Networking/cryonism if u will, is something that bnb schools cannot offer.

So is this a good system and should we promote such a system? Might as well we try to keep it within the family instead of the person with the best ability to do the job. There goes the question, are we having the best on top to lead that we have been signing?

Well, keyboard warriors, this is a forum just to air and release stress. Nothing change after you leave your computer or handheld devices. :a-bang:

• Praise 1

Supersonic

There are inventive ways to spur one's child. Relying on class position benchmarking is, as you say, not so useful when you're top of your cohort. It boils down to whether the parents want to spare the effort and time.

My problem is that my girl is in a "good" school and she is doing very well. In sec 1 and sec 2 exams, level position always in the top 10 out of 200+ students.

I don't pressure her but I think she puts too much pressure on herself. Prone to breaking down once in a while cuz she feels stressed. I am trying to get her to relax and chill a bit. This last week of holidays, I want to take her to gardens by the bay, zoo, art museum, go matting etc but she says she has too much work.

Sometimes topping the school also stressed cuz she probably feels that it would be shameful and embarrassing if her position falls.

Turbocharged

Loki I can't tell you if it is good or bad for your daughter. Not everyone is borned to be president or will enjoy being one.

To lose a daughter is worse than having her score and not knowing what she wants in life.

Let her pase herself and bring her to less developed world to appreciate how people live their life.

↡ Advertisement