Will a bigger capacity battery help ?

Meadelx200

Last July installed 2 no. FINE CR-200HD cameras with 'Power Magic' in continuous running mode.

My 2l Picnic also has a typical Pioneer 7" Audio System with 2 front & back speaker and a pair of tweeter.

Had 2 backseat LCD as well.

After running the cameras for a 1-2 weeks my Alternator charging system happen to die off. (cost >S$2k to change, new battery is 45 AH.)

Suspected the 'Power Magic' or the new installed cameras causing the problem. Re-installed to an original 'Power Magic'

The problem now is the battery will drain off (unable to start up the car) if it is left for more than 1-2 days.

Check with AD - no problem, check with camera installed guy - no problem as the Power Magic is able to power-off the cameras at a preset voltage of about 11.8VDC.

They suggest replacing with a higher capacity battery.

Any comment?

Thanks.

↡ Advertisement

Last July installed 2 no. FINE CR-200HD cameras with 'Power Magic' in continuous running mode.

My 2l Picnic also has a typical Pioneer 7" Audio System with 2 front & back speaker and a pair of tweeter.

After running the cameras for a 1-2 weeks my Alternator charging system happen to die off. (cost >S$2k to change, new battery is 45 AH.)

Suspected the 'Power Magic' or the new installed cameras causing the problem. Re-installed to an original 'Power Magic'

The problem now is the battery will drain off (unable to start up the car) if it is left for more than 1-2 days.

Check with AD - no problem, check with camera installed guy - no problem as the Power Magic is able to power-off the cameras at a preset voltage of about 11.8VDC.

Any comment?

Thanks.

Just isolate the rear cam to normal recording and guess should be OK, if not change to 65AH. Yr hifi is normal since no woofer?

You overloaded the electrical system that damaged the alternator. Now you want to overload it more with a bigger capacity battery? You should also upgrade the alternator to charge a bigger battery. My suggestion is to get an external battery pack for the cams. The battery pack can be charged using the car power socket. That way your car battery won't be affected.

Any comment?

Thanks.

Getting a higher capacity battery make the alternator to work even harder prolonging the charging time.

If you frequent have short trip, battery not fully charge and will not live long.

Like Bro. Kb27 said you need to upgrade the alternator as well.

Getting a higher capacity battery make the alternator to work even harder prolonging the charging time.

If you frequent have short trip, battery not fully charge and will not live long.

Like Bro. Kb27 said you need to upgrade the alternator as well.

agreed. the alternator is not up to mark here.

Battery state of charge at about 12.0V is already 0%.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article...state_of_charge

What do you think a battery at 11.8V can do ?

According to FineVue,(http://www.finevu.net/powerprotection.htm) when we use their Perfect Power the battery will still be able to start up at 11.8vdc.

(but my air-con, AV player, cameras will still be in power on mode). The trip voltage is fixed at 11.8v.

Just isolate the rear cam to normal recording and guess should be OK, if not change to 65AH. Yr hifi is normal since no woofer?

Assuming I need the rear camera as well. No woofer, just normal AV player.

You overloaded the electrical system that damaged the alternator. Now you want to overload it more with a bigger capacity battery? You should also upgrade the alternator to charge a bigger battery. My suggestion is to get an external battery pack for the cams. The battery pack can be charged using the car power socket. That way your car battery won't be affected.

These are the equipment in my car :-

1. Pioneer AVH 4500DVD ? with 2 Front & Rear speakers, tweeters (always ON)

2. DBVT Digital Tuner (always ON)

3. Rear Camera (always ON)

4. FineVue camera x 2 (always ON) ~ 300mAH combine

5. 2 LCD Players (On Standby mode)

6. AIRCON

Based on the above, am I overloading my electrical system on Start-Up ?

I will check with Toyota the max capacity battery that my current alternator can take ? Is this a wise choice ?

Any potential problem if I leave the current setup status quo ?

Last choice maybe the 'battery pack', any recommendation?

Thanks!

" FineVue camera x 2 (always ON) ~ 300mAH combine "

Base this comsumption on 24/7 - 0.3amp x 24 = 7.2amp per day

If you leave yr ride idle for 2 days = 7.2 x 2= 14.4amp

Yr battery is 45amp hr , therefore after 2 days yr battery charge status = about 68%

Most battery will not start up once the discharge is below 75 - 70% ( it vary due to engine and starter conditions)

Any comment?

Thanks.

Bro, I will suggest you pay a visit to Soon lee auto, look for Sunny. He can advice you whether your car equipment is working fine. They have equipment to check that. Good service & friendly boss. They located at Geylang. Boss hp # is 97478220. Call them before go down as they are really busy.. [:)] [:)]

Assuming I need the rear camera as well. No woofer, just normal AV player.

change bty to AH65 if alternator is not a problem.

Supersonic

According to FineVue,(http://www.finevu.net/powerprotection.htm) when we use their Perfect Power the battery will still be able to start up at 11.8vdc.

(but my air-con, AV player, cameras will still be in power on mode). The trip voltage is fixed at 11.8v.

My point is, you shouldn't just believe the seller, in this case, finevue.

A battery at 11.8V has hardly enough energy to crank start your car.

Let's say, you have a fully charged battery at 12.66V.

The battery is new or almost new and it has 400 cca.

That means it can provide the 150 to 200 amp required to crank the engine.

Starter motor is normally rated about 1 kW and above and it sucks a lot of power or current.

During crank, the voltage drops from 12.66V to about 10.x V. Some more powerful battery can maintain a higher voltage above 11.x V.

Now, when your battery energy is depleted to 11.8V.

It hardly has that 400 cca available, more like 200 amp or less.

This is near or often below the 150 amp required to crank start the motor.

The crank voltage most likely will dip below 8V, rendering the battery incapable of turning over the motor.

What's worse is that your battery may not be new. As it gets older, its cca starts to go down.

So your baseline starts to go down.

There is a correlation between battery voltage and current available.

When you start pulling current out of the battery, the voltage will drop.

Any comment?

Thanks.

Your 45Ah Battery I strongly believe is just a Maintenance Free with Low CCA number.

If you do not have 24/7 in car cam, this size and type will work fine.

With a cam that runs 24/7, you need to get a heartier battery with higher CCA and also use a deep cycle battery type - they call it Enhanced Flooded Battery (EFB).

EFB has deep cycle capabilities that can withstand regular discharging and recharging cycles that your car camera is inflicting onto the battery. A cheap maintenance free battery will not take this load and will fail prematurely.

You can look for Varta EFB battery. Cheap and Good.

↡ Advertisement