Property Agents' commission

Luckcent

They will take action but you must keep calling them and emailing them to follow up to let them know you haven't forgotten the matter.

Most civil service departments are like that.

90% of those in the civil service jiak liao bi, only 10% really working hard.
↡ Advertisement

CEA is sleeping on the job half the time. Moreover, if they want to micro manage every single aspect of the agent's work, CEA would need a team of at least 500 staff. Currently, you send them a complaint about one bogus ad and they will drag their feet and take ages to investigate just that one case.

Aiyoh.

But the misconduct described is very serious isnt it?

Isnt telling the buyers agent a unit is sold when its not fradulent misrepresentation?

Yes it is.......

Refusal to co-broke is a violation, unless it is clearly specified by the client that the agent cannot co-broke.  However, there is really no reason why a client will specify it that way.

I see a lot of post here condemning agents poor ethics and stuff.

Sure, there is some of them, but from my experience on the ground, most agents are alright. They are pretty respectful, punctual and responsive to co-broke. Only a very small handful that sometimes either very slow or not responsive.  

• Praise 1

Yes it is.......

Refusal to co-broke is a violation, unless it is clearly specified by the client that the agent cannot co-broke. However, there is really no reason why a client will specify it that way.

I see a lot of post here condemning agents poor ethics and stuff.

Sure, there is some of them, but from my experience on the ground, most agents are alright. They are pretty respectful, punctual and responsive to co-broke. Only a very small handful that sometimes either very slow or not responsive.

On the surface they are respectful, but behind your back they will do all kinds of nonsense. What they say to other cobroke agents at the expense of their sellers can be really shocking.

i once got an property agent that is helping us lease out the properties on our behalf, yet when i request for the contact number of the tenant, he seems unwilling to provide it to me

• Praise 4

i once got an property agent that is helping us lease out the properties on our behalf, yet when i request for the contact number of the tenant, he seems unwilling to provide it to me

Before or after the contract is signed?

already did, don't understand his gesture, want everything to go through him

It is simple.

He wants to make sure that when comes to renewal, you will look for him. Or if the tenancy will end, he gets to know first since tenant will contact him.

If landlord and tenant contact each other directly, the agent will be out of the loop and there goes his renewal or possible business in helping you to get a new tenant when tenancy ends.

If it is me, it doesn't matter. If landlord is my client, I will be happy to provide the tenant contact if he wants.  

• Praise 1

The tenancy agreement is entered between you and the tenant n the agent is just a middleman. When contract is signed, it is your right to have the contact info of the tenant coz the agent is legally not even a party to the contract. I think CEA should give this agent a screwing.

The tenancy agreement is entered between you and the tenant n the agent is just a middleman. When contract is signed, it is your right to have the contact info of the tenant coz the agent is legally not even a party to the contract. I think CEA should give this agent a screwing.

Depends who the agent represents actually.

if the agent represents landlord and dealing with a direct tenant, then yes, landlord has the right to get the contact from his agent if he so wishes.

If the agent represents tenant (agent takes comm from tenant) ,  and dealing with a direct landlord, then the agent has no obligation to provide tenant contact to landlord unless the tenant agrees to it.

If both side have agents, then very unlikely that landlord and tenant's contact will be exchanged because both landlord and tenants expects their respective agents to work with one another to solve their tenancy issues or disputes. 

However in every cases, if both landlord and tenant happen to meet and willing to exchange contact after some small talk, then it is entirely up to them regardless whether they have agents or not.

• Praise 2

if the agent represents landlord and dealing with a direct tenant, then yes, landlord has the right to get the contact from his agent if he so wishes.

If the agent represents tenant (agent takes comm from tenant) , and dealing with a direct landlord, then the agent has no obligation to provide tenant contact to landlord unless the tenant agrees to it.

If both side have agents, then very unlikely that landlord and tenant's contact will be exchanged because both landlord and tenants expects their respective agents to work with one another to solve their tenancy issues or disputes.

However in every cases, if both landlord and tenant happen to meet and willing to exchange contact after some small talk, then it is entirely up to them regardless whether they have agents or not.

It is illegal and unethical for either landlord or tenant's agent to withhold any information from either the tenant or the landlord. Whether agent for tenant or landlord, neither are party to the contract, so their job ends the moment they bring landlord and tenant together. The landlord must always remember that he has the absolute right to know everything there is to know about his tenant including contact info.

If the agent represents tenant (agent takes comm from tenant) , and dealing with a direct landlord, then the agent has no obligation to provide tenant contact to landlord unless the tenant agrees to it.

This is what an agent would have people believe.

The fact is that an agents job is complete and they are entitled to the commission after the tenancy agreement is signed. If they are disputes after that and the agents try to resolve it, it is due to good will (for future business).

So if the agent doesn't give me the tenants contact details and the tenant doesn't pay the rent, can I claim the rental from the agent?

It is illegal and unethical for either landlord or tenant's agent to withhold any information from either the tenant or the landlord. Whether agent for tenant or landlord, neither are party to the contract, so their job ends the moment they bring landlord and tenant together. The landlord must always remember that he has the absolute right to know everything there is to know about his tenant including contact info.

Another trick by unscrupulous agents. They will try to add in a clause where they are due a commission if the tenant renews (even though they do absolutely nothing other than calling to ask the tenant intends to renew). One should always read all the documents carefully and cross out such a clause before signing.

Another trick by unscrupulous agents. They will try to add in a clause where they are due a commission if the tenant renews (even though they do absolutely nothing other than calling to ask the tenant intends to renew). One should always read all the documents carefully and cross out such a clause before signing.

The agent need to spell that out if there is a renewal commission clause in there! Infact, he should go through every clause with the client before the service agreement is signed.

↡ Advertisement