Magnifying glass
  • Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
48 replies to this topic | 0 praises

Posted 13 April 2013 - 03:09 PM

Viceroymenthol
  • Viceroymenthol
    Supercharged
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

sadly, engineering is not looked upon well here as compared to western countries.. sad.gif

I would love to ask Mdm Ho, a professional engineer herself, her opinion on why this is the case and why went wrong along the way. I am sure besides the standard govt-speak, she would have some valuable insights of her own.

Posted 13 April 2013 - 03:10 PM

Viceroymenthol
  • Viceroymenthol
    Supercharged
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Double post deleted

Edited by Viceroymenthol, 13 April 2013 - 03:11 PM.

Posted 13 April 2013 - 03:31 PM

Gitanic
  • Premium member
    Gitanic
    Supercharged
    Author Image

I would love to ask Mdm Ho, a professional engineer herself, her opinion on why this is the case and why went wrong along the way. I am sure besides the standard govt-speak, she would have some valuable insights of her own.

We dumped manufacturing lor.

My family and immediate relatives have 3 engineers,one w phd. mellow.gif

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:38 PM

Maseratigood
  • Maseratigood
    Banned

From the first post in this thread, all of you are talking about jobs lah, employment lah, competing with FT lah... shows that our mindset is still at that basic level.

I think what the Forum writer is trying to get at is: WHERE THE FARCK ARE OUR STEVE JOBS AND MARK ZUCKERBERG? We only have Sim so far and he is fast fading into the sunset.

We need more innovators and visionaries. We don't need more low end IT slaves, those can be gotten quite cheaply and easily from our neighbouring 3rd world countries.

What it takes to be the next Sim? ---- technical know how + creativity, entrepreneur spirit, drive, willingness to slog it out instead of just looking for quick buck, etc

Look around us, or in every batch of graduates from uni or polys every year, do we see many who posses these qualities?!

We do see many becoming GIC / MNCs employees, or bank RMs, real estate agents...

Edited by Maseratigood, 14 April 2013 - 04:39 PM.

美酒加咖啡, 一杯加一杯, 海友hoonkee

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:31 PM

Razer_Blaze
  • Razer_Blaze
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

Have completed a few projects I am proud of myself but regrettably such passion does not bring in the dough.

Anyone in the engineering sector will know what we mean.

So you know what sort of advice I will offer if my children ever asks about taking up a career in this field.

Same situation as you, but for me I loved coding and building enterprise application. I have to force myself to move up the value chain as many employers don't
realise the value that such people can bring to the company's growth. All they care is about is making their P and L statement look good.

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:48 PM

Razer_Blaze
  • Razer_Blaze
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

From the first post in this thread, all of you are talking about jobs lah, employment lah, competing with FT lah... shows that our mindset is still at that basic level.

I think what the Forum writer is trying to get at is: WHERE THE FARCK ARE OUR STEVE JOBS AND MARK ZUCKERBERG? We only have Sim so far and he is fast fading into the sunset.

We need more innovators and visionaries. We don't need more low end IT slaves, those can be gotten quite cheaply and easily from our neighbouring 3rd world countries.

1) Mark Zuckerberg is a Programmer.

2) Bill Gates was a Programmer when he founded Microsoft.

3) Steve Job was technician and he designed circuit boards for Arcade game machines before founding Apple with Steve Wozniak who is an engineer and programmer.

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:28 PM

CH_CO
  • CH_CO
    6th Gear
    Author Image

1) Mark Zuckerberg is a Programmer. <- nerd
2) Bill Gates was a Programmer when he founded Microsoft. <- Nerd

3) Steve Job was technician and he designed circuit boards for Arcade game machines before founding Apple with Steve Wozniak who is an engineer and programmer. <- cool nerd

Dude i am not getting personal , but they happen to have similar backgrounds. So whose the next nerd here?

Edited by CH_CO, 15 April 2013 - 04:33 PM.

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:36 PM

Razer_Blaze
  • Razer_Blaze
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

Dude i am getting personal , but they happen to have similar backgrounds.

I never had the intention of offending anyone, I was just highlighting facts and never said anything offensive or anything hurtful directed at you or anybody in this forum.
If you want to get personal, it is your problem not mine.

Edited by Razer_Blaze, 15 April 2013 - 04:37 PM.

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:39 PM

CH_CO
  • CH_CO
    6th Gear
    Author Image

I never had the intention of offending anyone, I was just highlighting facts and never said anything offensive or anything hurtful directed at you or anybody in this forum.
If you want to get personal, it is your problem not mine.

probably a typo , was in the midst of correcting it

Back to Lite & EZ  ·  Non-Car Related Top Reply to this topic

Quick Reply

Tags: Forum, More, home, grown, geeks and 1 more...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users