• Reply to this topic
60 replies to this topic | 15 praises

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:53 AM

Jman888
  • Jman888

by the way the quantity also not alot sleep.gif

Drug trafficker in S'pore becomes the first to escape death penalty
By Rahimah Rashith | Yahoo! Newsroom 10 hours ago

A 29 year-old involved in drug trafficking has escaped death penalty in the first capital case prosecuted on Wednesday under the amended Misuse of Drugs Act.

Abdul Haleem Abdul Karim was convicted of trafficking a Class A controlled drug and possessing drugs for the purposes of trafficking.

However, under the revised Act which came into effect in January, he satisfied the dual requirements of having only played the role of courier and also that he provided substantive assistance. Instead of capital punishment and death, he has been sentenced to life imprisonment and the maximum 24 strokes of the cane.

For substantively assisted Central Narcotics Bureau (CNB) in disrupting drug trafficking activities within Singapore, he received the Certificate of Cooperation by Attorney-General Steven Chong.

His partner-in-crime Muhammad Ridzuan Md Ali, 27-year-old was also convicted of the same drug charges but has been sentenced to death as he did not fulfill the requirements.

Abdul Haleem and Muhammad Ridzuan were both arrested on May 6 2010, and were given two charges of having not less than 72.50 grams of diamorphine in possession for the purpose of trafficking and having in possession for the purposes of trafficking no more than 14.99 grams of diamorphine.

Abdul Haleem took a consistent stance as set out in his statements and under cross-examination, and was observed to be a truthful and straightforward witness said Deputy Public Prosecutor Shahla Iqbal.

Singapore lawmakers amended the Misuse of Drugs Act and Penal Code to ease the mandatory death penalty for drug traffickers and homicide offences last year.

Courts can now impose a life sentence instead if the accused is found to be "only a drug courier" and has assisted the Central Narcotics Bureau (CNB) in a substantive way or if he is suffering from mental impairment.

骑白马的不一定是王 ,可能是唐僧;带翅膀的也不一定是天使,有时候是鸟人。

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:06 AM

Rainbowbiatch
  • Rainbowbiatch
    2Fast2Furious
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Before he was sentenced yesterday, Abdul Haleem Abdul Karim, 30, asked to be hanged if his friend, Muhammad Ridzuan Md Ali, 28, was sent to the gallows.

Choking with emotion, he told Justice Tay Yong Kwang: "If you are sparing my life and not sparing his life, I'd rather go down with him."

But the judge replied: "The court does not have complete discretion to do whatever you want me do."

http://www.straitsti...enalty-20130411
五月天-純真

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:06 AM

Vhtfhwlego
  • Premium member
    Vhtfhwlego
    NOS-ed
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Under the new ruling, tax payers has to fund his life imprisonment...
24th Aug 2006, we lost a planet!

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:13 AM

Toothiewabbit
  • Premium member
    Toothiewabbit
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Before he was sentenced yesterday, Abdul Haleem Abdul Karim, 30, asked to be hanged if his friend, Muhammad Ridzuan Md Ali, 28, was sent to the gallows.

Choking with emotion, he told Justice Tay Yong Kwang: "If you are sparing my life and not sparing his life, I'd rather go down with him."

But the judge replied: "The court does not have complete discretion to do whatever you want me do."

Waahh, rare spirit of brotherhood...

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:16 AM

PorkChong
  • PorkChong
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

life sentence maybe got discount..come out 30years later or earlier??

Edited by PorkChong, 11 April 2013 - 11:17 AM.

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:24 AM

Icedbs
  • Icedbs
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Under the new ruling, tax payers has to fund his life imprisonment...

I would rather think that I am funding a hope that a young guy like him will turn around and be a useful person to society next time.

Edited by Icedbs, 11 April 2013 - 11:29 AM.

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:26 AM

Xefera
  • Premium member
    Xefera
    Supercharged
    Author Image

Suspect that he is then one that got his brother into trouble.

Guess he will be guilty for text rest of his life if he escapes but the other goes to the gallows.

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:29 AM

Jman888
  • Jman888

you jump, i jump huh.gif huh.gif

骑白马的不一定是王 ,可能是唐僧;带翅膀的也不一定是天使,有时候是鸟人。

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:07 PM

Rubbishman
  • Rubbishman
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

I thought life imprisonment in Singapore is around 25-30 years?

Anyway, more on life imprisonment with reference from the Oriental Hotel Case

http://infopedia.nl....2011-04-04.html
An extract from the above:
Other legal developments

In March 1997, Abdul Nasir was sentenced to life imprisonment and six strokes of the cane for staging the kidnapping of two police officers in 1996. At the time, life imprisonment was taken to mean 20 years, and the sentence would run consecutively with Abdul Nasirs other sentence of 18 years for robbery with hurt. However, Abdul Nasir appealed against the sentence of life imprisonment, asking that the two sentences run concurrently.

The case came before the Court of Appeal, presided over by Chief Justice Yong Pung How, which dismissed the appeal and ruled that the two sentences should run consecutively. In a landmark ruling, the court also defined life imprisonment to mean imprisonment for the rest of a convicted persons natural life.

However, the latter ruling did not apply to Abdul Nasirs case, so the total length of his incarceration remained at 38 years, with a possible reduction for good behaviour.

"Your apartment will be worth a fraction of what it is."

"Your jobs will be in peril, your security will be at risk and our women will become maids in other people's countries."

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:10 PM

Gitanic
  • Premium member
    Gitanic
    Supercharged
    Author Image

QUOTE (Rainbowbiatch Apr 11 2013, 11:06 AM) *

If my younger brother were to die,i would also die together.

Brotherhood or not? smile.gif

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:12 PM

20G
  • 20G
    6th Gear
    Author Image

the other one might be his boyfriend?

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:22 PM

Yrvsport
  • Premium member
    Yrvsport
    5th Gear
    Author Image

both should give a second chance (equal) no matter what...

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:27 PM

20G
  • 20G
    6th Gear
    Author Image

both should give a second chance (equal) no matter what...

theres a reason why drug peddlers or traffickers gets the maximum. why are these 2 different?
wld u say the same if ur family is abusing drugs and the supply is from them?

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:59 PM

Zuoom
  • Zuoom
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

actually both are treat rather equally. it's only because the other dun have the "cert".

the guy getting life lucky/unlucky to get the cert is spared death.

looks like the courts still have not ease up on not hanging the drug couriers, mules, pushers etc.
which might not be a wrong thing as the effect of the drugs are basically bad.

along with the minus of how people normally fund their addiction to the drugs.

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:31 PM

Mllcg
  • Premium member
    Mllcg
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

life sentence maybe got discount..come out 30years later or earlier??

this is singapore. not USA.

in singapore, life means for whole natural life

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:38 PM

Ahseng
  • Premium member
    Ahseng
    5th Gear
    Author Image

actually if kanna life imprisonment i'd rather get the death sentence.

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:39 PM

Jokerd
  • Jokerd
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

I would rather think that I am funding a hope that a young guy like him will turn around and be a useful person to society next time.

There is no 'next time' for life imprisonment, unless you mean next life...

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:40 PM

Mllcg
  • Premium member
    Mllcg
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

actually if kanna life imprisonment i'd rather get the death sentence.

the red pill or blue pill..

both equally bad

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:00 PM

Robin
  • Premium member
    Robin
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

very heng the law came into effect
hope he learns a lesson sweatdrop.gif

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:02 PM

Toothiewabbit
  • Premium member
    Toothiewabbit
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

the other one might be his boyfriend?

waahh, then it must be love...

Back to Lite & EZ  ·  Non-Car Related Top Reply to this topic

Quick Reply

Tags: First, Drug, trafficker, escape and 1 more...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users