First Drug trafficker to escape death

Jman888

QUOTE (Rainbowbiatch @ Apr 11 2013, 11:06 AM) *

Before he was sentenced yesterday, Abdul Haleem Abdul Karim, 30, asked to be hanged if his friend, Muhammad Ridzuan Md Ali, 28, was sent to the gallows.

Choking with emotion, he told Justice Tay Yong Kwang: "If you are sparing my life and not sparing his life, I'd rather go down with him."

But the judge replied: "The court does not have complete discretion to do whatever you want me do."

http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-news/...enalty-20130411

Waahh, rare spirit of brotherhood...

If my younger brother were to die,i would also die together.

Brotherhood or not? [:)]

True, since both decided to take the same path, should remain together till the end [:(]

I would rather think that I am funding a hope that a young guy like him will turn around and be a useful person to society next time.

But he can't as the wouldn't be able to release due to life imprisonment.

I do know that he can "work" in the prison and perhaps his finished product may help the society by a little.

Man arrested with 920g of heroin at Woodlands Checkpoint
02 Jan 2014 20:56
SINGAPORE: In the first large drug haul of the new year, the Central Narcotics Bureau (CNB) seized about 920 grammes of heroin at the Woodlands Checkpoint on Thursday.
CNB said the heroin seized has a street value of about S$97,000 and investigations are ongoing.
CNB said that at about 5.20am, officers from the Immigration & Checkpoints Authority referred a man riding a Malaysian-registered motorcycle to them for checks.
CNB officers conducted a search and found two bundles, believed to be heroin, on the man.
One bundle was tucked in front of the 25-year-old's lower abdomen area, while the other was in the back of his trousers.
- CNA/ms

There are people still trying their luck [shakehead][shakehead]

(edited)
Drug trafficker on death row is re-sentenced to life imprisonment and 15 strokes
Published on Jan 06, 2014
By Ian Poh
A 29-year-old man on Monday became the second convicted drug offender on death row to be spared a date with the hangman.
Subashkaran Pragasam was instead given life in prison and 15 strokes of the cane in the High Court. This follows the case of Malaysian drug trafficker Yong Vui Kong, 30, who was re-sentenced to the same punishment last November.
The reprieve for Subashkaran follows recently amended drug laws which give judges the discretion to impose life terms and caning on drug traffickers, instead of the mandatory death penalty. These apply to drug couriers who help the authorities in a substantive way, and and those whose mental illness makes them less responsible for their actions.
Subashkaran had already been certified by the Public Prosecutor to have substantively assisted in disrupting drug-trafficking activities. Justice Choo Han Teck found that that he had only been acting as a courier when caught with nine packets containing 186.62g of heroin and commuted the man's punishment accordingly.

one more came back from the gate [sweatdrop][sweatdrop] but his was caught with small quantity.

Edited by Jman888

to add on to this thread, another was found but is released. Based on the story below, he will die anyway! I believe you all here will know why. Unless he is jailed for life! Then again, inside jobs may be possible.

Cheong Chun Yin, who was sentenced to death in 2010, is now eligible for re-sentencing after helping the authorities to disrupt drug trafficking activities outside Singapore.

SINGAPORE: A convicted drug trafficker who was sentenced to death may escape the gallows after providing the authorities with substantive assistance in disrupting drug trafficking activities outside Singapore.

Cheong Chun Yin, who was sentenced to death in 2010, is now eligible for re-sentencing after the Public Prosecutor decided to certify that he had helped the Central Narcotics Bureau (CNB) in a substantive way, in light of new information received.

Cheong had been refused a Certificate of Cooperation under the amended Misuse of Drugs Act last year, after the Public Prosecutor determined that he had not fulfilled the criteria. Represented by lawyer M Ravi, Cheong filed for a judicial review in the High Court in January, but the application was dismissed.

He then filed an appeal against the High Court’s ruling, which is scheduled to be heard in the week of Nov 24. On whether the appeal would still go ahead, Mr Ravi said Cheong was inclined to withdraw it and file an appeal for re-sentencing.

“We are relooking things now,” Mr Ravi said, adding that Cheong was “very relieved”.

Cheong was arrested in 2008 and found to have been in possession of 2.7kg of diamorphine.

After being found guilty and sentenced, he appealed against the decision in 2011, but it was dismissed by the Court of Appeal.

On Jan 1 last year, together with all the others who were convicted of capital drug offences prior to that date, Cheong was offered the chance to help the CNB disrupt drug trafficking activities, as a result of amendments to the Misuse of Drugs Act.

The Act was amended together with the Penal Code in 2012 to remove the mandatory death penalty for certain types of homicide and drug trafficking offences.

A drug trafficker must have played only the role of a courier and either have cooperated with the CNB in a substantive way, or have a mental disability that substantially impairs his appreciation of the gravity of the act.

-TODAY/cy

Cheong Chun Yin was the subject of another comprehensive PR campaign by M Ravi (after Yong Vui Kong) to increase public awareness in hope of earning him a second chance. We'll never know how much PR comes into play when such decisions are made, especially when AGC has the absolute discretion that it has. But increasingly, M Ravi is proving himself to be an effective champion for his causes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4UAYiQGRK4

to add on to this thread, another was found but is released. Based on the story below, he will die anyway! I believe you all here will know why. Unless he is jailed for life! Then again, inside jobs may be possible.

Cheong Chun Yin, who was sentenced to death in 2010, is now eligible for re-sentencing after helping the authorities to disrupt drug trafficking activities outside Singapore.

More than 2kg of cannabis seized at Woodlands Checkpoint
PUBLISHED ON FEB 26, 2015
BY RACHEL TAN
cannabiswdlnd2602e.jpg
Cannabis and other drugs seized in a Home Team operation on Feb 25, 2015. -- PHOTO: ICA/CNB
SINGAPORE - More than 2kg of cannabis and other controlled drugs were seized yesterday at Woodlands Checkpoint after a routine car check.
At 9.35am on Wednesday, an Immigration and Checkpoints Authority officer found three bundles suspected to contain cannabis in the car of a 20-year-old Malaysian.
Central Narcotics Bureau officers launched a follow-up operation to arrest a suspected accomplice. The 23-year-old Malaysian accomplice was captured near Woodlands at about 11.20am the same day.
Upon further inspection, officers found a drug haul containing 2.2kg of cannabis, 248g of heroin, 294g of Ketamine, 720 Erimin-5 tablets and 50 Ecstasy tablets in the Malaysian-registered car at Woodlands Checkpoint.

trying their luck using young as an excuse?

trying their luck using young as an excuse?

Hang them .... :angry:

F*rk care even if their whole family members kneel in front of Istana ... [mad]

Edited by Picnic06
  • Praise 1

Actually all year round got people trying their luck. I'm pretty sure those caught were probably less than 10% of the total.

does this new law favour those who are more invovled in the trafficking cartel (and so are in a position to offer more substantive assistance to CNB) vs those who are peon-level drug mule, who can offer less assistance?

if so, the more morally culpable person gets to get off the deathrow, but the less morally culpable person does not

actually, from another pov, those young kids doing trafficking, are we sure its not against their will? And seriously, what are the chances of getting caught by agency officers? out of 100 people bring in, i dont think 100 get caught..what about those containers coming in from pasir panjang etc?

food for thot

↡ Advertisement