Reliability of 7-GTronics

Siewss

Turbocharged

I would think all auto gear (ATF)needs to service regular at least every 30k -40k, also the filter needs to replace every 20k. Right oil must be use also. Cnc told me mb needs to do normal service for engine oil at 15k, (half a year) . Think this is too long for oil change.u never know wat service they do if send to AD, cos cannot see. Once warranty gone and needs high cost for service, most owner will trade in for new cars, win win for AD, either earn parts profit or the new cars.

Actually the manual mentioned servicing every 10k instead of 15k if you drive in highly stressed conditions.. like in sg

• Praise 2

5-6 yr old , its about time to touch up the airconn.

but 80K lifespan for a GB seems pretty short for a car. :wacko:

He bought his E230 used, so maybe his odo's been rigged.

He checked around with his friends who own Merc and they said that the 7G-Tronic last around 4 yrs. Perhaps these are all the 1st generation 7G-Tronic.

Actually the manual mentioned servicing every 10k instead of 15k if you drive in highly stressed conditions.. like in sg

I think it's a good idea to over-service. I used to change my oil and coolant at half the stipuated interval, just for peace of mind. Strangely, I was actually dissuaded by the AD service adviser. Anyway, I got a bit lazier as the car got older, so now it's back to normal servicing interval.

not all auto GB built the same.what is there to svc auto GB every 20k km?

I thought most auto gears have auto transmission fluid(ATF) ? How the gear box runs to keep the temp cool without fluid n lubricant?

http://autos.yahoo.com/maintain/repairqa/t.../ques123_0.html

http://www.helium.com/items/961997-how-to-...eds-maintenance

Edited by Heavenspirit

Turbocharged

I think it's a good idea to over-service. I used to change my oil and coolant at half the stipuated interval, just for peace of mind. Strangely, I was actually dissuaded by the AD service adviser. Anyway, I got a bit lazier as the car got older, so now it's back to normal servicing interval.

well.. there are different schools of thoughts. i've seen heated debates on servicing intervals previously.

some die die stick to manufacturer recommendation, insisting its a waste of money.

well..its up to individual.

one thing.. if u mod the car.. like lupping bigger turbo, etc, manufacturer recommendations don't count anymore [;)]

Thanks. It appears 7G-Tronic gearbox problem is not so uncommon after all. Always good to do a search prior to any purchase.

something fishy about this 7 Gears it seems.. VW also same with their DSG.. [:/]

something fishy about this 7 Gears it seems.. VW also same with their DSG.. [:/]

Oh,Mercedes 7 speeder,much less problem than the DSG.

• Praise 1

what mileage been clocked

good question. this kind of discussion has no point without mentioning the mileage.

just like the rim and tyre thread. "i bought csc5 for 200$" without mention of size. [bigcry]

• Praise 1

Sorry 4matic here mean the airsuspension

Maybe someone here can explain as well cos I aalso not sure

I owned w212 before and it's a E250 2010 with 5 speed auto

i tot 4matic is the equal of 4 wheel drive for merc?

i have been wondering, if all this lighting shifter is so good, why the Japaneses don't do it? They dont know how to or they dont believe or know something else..?

Isit? i know my 2011 W212 come in 4speed gear change and cgi engine. So i assume its 4matic.

Sorry 4matic here mean the airsuspension

Maybe someone here can explain as well cos I aalso not sure

I owned w212 before and it's a E250 2010 with 5 speed auto

• Praise 1

When i last serviced in C&C, the technician briefly explain the diff between my 4 speeder and 7G. He said they flew to Germany for training on this.

I cannot really grab all the technical term and jargon he used. But i do remember he say my 4 speeder is less problematic than the 7G although its rougher in engine noise.

Thanks. It appears 7G-Tronic gearbox problem is not so uncommon after all. Always good to do a search prior to any purchase.

4 speed gb scrapped a long time ago by mercedes already. If you only have 4 gears i.e 3 shifts when accelerating from stop, means your gb up lorry already for the 5th gear. 4-Matic refers to 4 wheel drive. Air-matic refers to air suspension. 5G-tronic or 7G-tronic refers to gear box. Could also be because most merc start in second gear unless otherwise intended by the user. If yours i in E mode all the time, probably second gear start is common hence only 3 shifts and not 4 as you would expect from a 5 speed.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1