Magnifying glass
  • Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
215 replies to this topic | 38 praises

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:06 PM

Lethalstrike
  • Lethalstrike
    5th Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Well, some of my insider sources suggest that the pricing of the Toyota Avanza 1.5 which they will be bringing in within this year is benchmarked against the VW Touran 1.4 TSI.

Considering that the likelihood of the Avanza's OMV to be less than $20k is very high, it is quite laughable that Borneo Motors' & Toyota's head are still up in the clouds to conceptualize such a pricing, especially in today's COE climate. Its seriously a no-brainer to choose the Touran over the Avanza.

The Avanza has the virtues for being a very simple vehicle, armed with a primitive 4-speeder auto-box with an equally anemic 1.5 litre engine. The Touran on the other hand is much more well-built with up-to-date drivetrain (7 DSG), engine (1.4 twincharged) and safety equipment. Even the curb weight difference is telling (1410 kg vs 1095kg)...

The question is will you buy a $100k+++ mini-MPV meant for developing markets such as Indonesia and Philippines? For sure i won't...

TOYOTA-NEW-AVANZA-VELOZ-2011-5.jpg
VW-Touran-Austria-December-2012.jpg

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:17 PM

4rings
  • 4rings
    2nd Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Avanza assembled in Malaysia?
oooo

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:26 PM

Lethalstrike
  • Lethalstrike
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Avanza assembled in Malaysia?

The Avanza is assembled in Malaysia as a form of CKD (Complete Knock-Down) vehicle, in which parts and components are delivered in kits and they just do the final assembly and QC. However, i am quite sure the CKD Avanzas are meant for domestic consumption only.

Thus, the Avanza in which BMS is bringing in is very likely to be from the Indonesian plant directly.

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:37 PM

Porche
  • Premium member
    Porche
    Supercharged
    Author Image

must be mad, a good comparison will be malaysia. they have avanza too

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:03 AM

Coolpica
  • Premium member
    Coolpica
    5th Gear
    Author Image

I rather get Proton Exora Turbo. More spacious, comes with CVT and is equipped with rear aircons.

Edited by Coolpica, 15 April 2013 - 07:05 AM.

Signature. What is that?

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:13 AM

ER-3682
  • Premium member
    ER-3682
    Supercharged
    Author Image

VW Touran is a good M.P.V.,only problem is the D.S.G. gearbox...

Fairlady.

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:28 AM

Tayspiderx
  • Tayspiderx
    5th Gear
    Author Image

DSG sux, 4 speed sux...I rather go KIA Caren tongue.gif
Makinen85 praised this

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:52 AM

Matrix0405
  • Premium member
    Matrix0405
    5th Gear
    Author Image

VW Touran is a good M.P.V.,only problem is the D.S.G. gearbox...

You sum it up well. Touran is a much nicer MPV until the gearbox or other minor problem hit, u wld wished u had got a TOyota. Anyway, Avanza is coming because of the success of Touran in the local market. Otherwise BM more than happy to keep inventory simple and keep feeding COrolla to its customers. MUch like KAH dropped Freed to feed Civic to customers but in Q1 sales figures, honda has ran out of gas, dropped out of top 10.

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:10 AM

TVT
  • Premium member
    TVT
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

The Avanza is assembled in Malaysia as a form of CKD (Complete Knock-Down) vehicle, in which parts and components are delivered in kits and they just do the final assembly and QC. However, i am quite sure the CKD Avanzas are meant for domestic consumption only.

I tot Avanza is assembled in Indonesia?

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:12 AM

Paddie
  • Paddie
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Is Avanza based on a ladder frame chassis? I know the Innova and Fortuner are.

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:31 AM

Gee
  • Gee
    6th Gear
    Author Image

I tot Avanza is assembled in Indonesia?

i would think so too, but Perodua has an assembly contract of it.

strange it is being compared to Touran, not even close.
cmiiw this car is an evolution of a mini pickup with passenger shell mounted.

so and so - capitaine lentement

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:37 AM

Rubbishman
  • Rubbishman
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

Pricing the Avanza against the Touran is crazy. A more appropriate pricing would be between the Suzuki APV and the Daihatsu Terios 7 seater, which are made in Indo and meant for their domestic market.

People may swing to the cheaper but better spec Proton Exora or the upcoming new Kia Caren. IMO, I think the Kia Caren would be a good contender for this compact MPV category.
"Your apartment will be worth a fraction of what it is."

"Your jobs will be in peril, your security will be at risk and our women will become maids in other people's countries."

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:48 AM

Sabian
  • Sabian
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Benchmark mah.

Maybe their benchmark is 60% of Touran price?

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:53 AM

Luckcent
  • Premium member
    Luckcent
    6th Gear
    Author Image

No need bench mark these cars.....as long as the cars don't break down
especially gear boxes, any car is good. Period.
==================================================

Failure is not defeat unless you stop trying

==================================================

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:27 AM

Shift_lock
  • Shift_lock
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

If it comes down to Avanza or Touran, it's not such a clear choice for me. Ancient 4AT or advanced and extrememly problematic DSG. I would rather skip both and look elsewhere.

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:43 AM

VellfireS
  • Premium member
    VellfireS
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

If it comes down to Avanza or Touran, it's not such a clear choice for me. Ancient 4AT or advanced and extrememly problematic DSG. I would rather skip both and look elsewhere.

Ancient but reliable.. laugh.gif
The Great Melon TIKO Ranger since 2011

Posted 15 April 2013 - 01:38 PM

Lethalstrike
  • Lethalstrike
    5th Gear
    Author Image

i would think so too, but Perodua has an assembly contract of it.

strange it is being compared to Touran, not even close.
cmiiw this car is an evolution of a mini pickup with passenger shell mounted.

Yes, the Avanza in Malaysia is CKD, with assembly contract by Perodua. At least, it used to be that way, not sure about now.

The Indonesian plant for the Avanza is actually a Daihatsu plant, which isn't surprising since its owned by Toyota as well.

I think they are looking at sales volume to justify its pricing. The ttl volume of Suzuki APV and Terios 7 seater might be too insignificant to be used as a price gauge and profits assumptions. So, they benchmark against Touran loh.

Posted 15 April 2013 - 02:09 PM

Elmo
  • Premium member
    Elmo
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Despite the ridiculous comparison and pricing it will still sell well, so long as the COE comes down.
Rental companies will also prefer a more reliable brand to base their fleet on.

Once VW solves its DSG problems then Toyota can kiss their sales records (at least locally) goodbye.
PSN ID: Havock3662

Posted 15 April 2013 - 02:14 PM

Bavarian
Avanza? Wahahahaha... I woudn't be seenin one.
I think, therefore I am.
I think so, therefore I erm...

Posted 15 April 2013 - 02:17 PM

Shift_lock
  • Shift_lock
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

Ancient but reliable.. laugh.gif

True. If I die die have to choose one I will definitely go for the Avanza. Save $$$ on repair

Back to Japanese Talk  ·  Car Brands Top Reply to this topic

Related user reviews on sgCarMart.com

Volkswagen Touran

Volkswagen Touran  |  Rating   Submit Review

Reviewed by Incubus22  |  2nd Gear

Not the best lookers MPV around but certainly one of the most drivable!

My family is contributing to our population growth thus found a need to have a bigger car but yet has to be economical in terms of FC/Road Tax/Insurance. Test drove the usual suspects which compromises of 5008, C4, Wish and Mazda 5 (Stream ge... » Read More

Volkswagen Touran

Volkswagen Touran  |  Rating   Submit Review

Reviewed by Tianyou83  |  Neutral Newbie

Reliability remained a challenge!

Registered a 2013 Touran Base Model in late Nov 2013. So far, it fits well to the function of human mover Coupled with challenges. All the best if you intend to own 1.

Related New Cars search on sgCarMart.com : Toyota Avanza, Volkswagen Touran, Volkswagen Touran Diesel

Quick Reply

Tags: toyota, avanza, volkswagen and 2 more...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users