Toyota Avanza's price benchmarked against VW Touran

Lethalstrike

Neutral Newbie

Avanza is a old van based "7" seater meant for the poorer countries. Can't even hold a candle against Touran lar (if Touran fix their DSG). My friends in Malaysia have this old model old Tech for (n) years man. Singaporeans are taken for a ride here but I guess practicality is the key. Who cares if it old tech, as long as it won't breakdown can already. This really degrade the automotive industry here.

Neutral Newbie

Well, some of my insider sources suggest that the pricing of the Toyota Avanza 1.5 which they will be bringing in within this year is benchmarked against the VW Touran 1.4 TSI.

Considering that the likelihood of the Avanza's OMV to be less than $20k is very high, it is quite laughable that Borneo Motors' & Toyota's head are still up in the clouds to conceptualize such a pricing, especially in today's COE climate. Its seriously a no-brainer to choose the Touran over the Avanza.

The Avanza has the virtues for being a very simple vehicle, armed with a primitive 4-speeder auto-box with an equally anemic 1.5 litre engine. The Touran on the other hand is much more well-built with up-to-date drivetrain (7 DSG), engine (1.4 twincharged) and safety equipment. Even the curb weight difference is telling (1410 kg vs 1095kg)...

The question is will you buy a $100k+++ mini-MPV meant for developing markets such as Indonesia and Philippines? For sure i won't...

Before we can make any inferences or opinions, we need to verify your "insider sources". But since its insider guess you won't tell us. However you need to be careful not to flame Borneo Motors if this "insider sources" are not accurate.

True. If I die die have to choose one I will definitely go for the Avanza. Save $$$ on repair

But 1.5 NA engine with antique 4 speeded, on an MPV. It will be a very slow ride to grandmother's house.

Edited by Kiadaw

Before we can make any inferences or opinions, we need to verify your "insider sources". But since its insider guess you won't tell us. However you need to be careful not to flame Borneo Motors if this "insider sources" are not accurate.

My insider is from Toyota Motor Asia Pacific itself. Its true that they are doing their pricing study for the Avanza based on the Touran, since the latter is the best selling MPV for engine displacement less than 1.8 litre.

So its logical to deduce that the pricing for the Avanza will not be cheap, considering the kind of vehicle it is?

Tried the 1.3L old model Avanza in Malaysia - power is ok (maybe light weight) but it was seriously bumpy. IIRC, it was using leaf springs at rear.

In Indonesia, it is known as Kijang.

Boring, yes. Reliable? Definitely more than VW.

Tried the 1.3L old model Avanza in Malaysia - power is ok (maybe light weight) but it was seriously bumpy. IIRC, it was using leaf springs at rear.

In Indonesia, it is known as Kijang.

Boring, yes. Reliable? Definitely more than VW.

The Kijang is not the Avanza. It is the Innova which is a bigger MPV.

I think different culture different mentality towards these two cars. The toyota is no doubt more popular in Indo and MY as that's their reliable transportation tool. Their country land area is vast and no proper public transportation. A toyota is the basic reliable workhorse for them to move from point A to point B. Singapore is a small island, ppl are well to do. VW not as reliable but at least still got bus/mrt/taxi.

Well, some of my insider sources suggest that the pricing of the Toyota Avanza 1.5 which they will be bringing in within this year is benchmarked against the VW Touran 1.4 TSI.

Considering that the likelihood of the Avanza's OMV to be less than $20k is very high, it is quite laughable that Borneo Motors' & Toyota's head are still up in the clouds to conceptualize such a pricing, especially in today's COE climate. Its seriously a no-brainer to choose the Touran over the Avanza.

The Avanza has the virtues for being a very simple vehicle, armed with a primitive 4-speeder auto-box with an equally anemic 1.5 litre engine. The Touran on the other hand is much more well-built with up-to-date drivetrain (7 DSG), engine (1.4 twincharged) and safety equipment. Even the curb weight difference is telling (1410 kg vs 1095kg)...

The question is will you buy a $100k+++ mini-MPV meant for developing markets such as Indonesia and Philippines? For sure i won't...

my avanza = $100k

ur touran = $100k

when i saw ur car broke down cos of the dsg, my smile = priceless :D

If innova in sg, price will be same as touran but for avanza i rate this car equally with APV or slightly higher price. Just ride avanza 3-4 days back in indo and in highway sitting in rear machiam ride horse

Does it crash well ?

Sorry i dont think so even for innova. It seems that these two model which built specially for indon and malaysia market doesnt have a good safety

↡ Advertisement