Have a say: Do you really need car in sg?

Mllcg

Status symbol, family mover, needless expense or just plain out of reach - cars are different things to different folk.

While COE prices and car ownership here have always been a topic of much disagreement and controversy, high prices and recent government-imposed loan curbs have really fuelled the current debate on cars.

The Government is now undertaking a long-term review of the COE system and also hopes to shift mindsets away from car ownership and towards public transport.

But what do you car-owners and aspiring car owners think?

Do you think you can survive in Singapore without a car? Can you raise a family without a car? Is a car a luxury or a necessity?

If you take public transport, how do you cope with crowded trains and buses? Do you burn a hole in your pocket taking taxis?

Do you aspire to own a car or are you content without one?

Tell us your stories, and your views.

I

↡ Advertisement

if I have a choice, I prefer a helicopter or private jet. worse case, batmobile also can.

this topic discussed many many times, from is car a luxury to is it a necessity to 6.9m to property prices to.... err, that's the many off topics discussed under those similar threads.

hmmm.... maybe should bring back the bull carts or horses.... no air pollution but dung-lution.... maybe those trees can spring back to life quicker than ozone layer expanding daily.

Safe ride and enjoy it, whilst its affordable.

Cheers

• Praise 1

I think gahment can explore other ways to transportation by freeing bus service up to allow private bus company to operate. Gahment have this fear of the 1955 hock lee bus riots that will happen is ludicrous. Back dan the bus unions were organised by communist. Now that the cold war is over we should allow private bus companies to operate in populated areas. Let there be competition between gahment run and private run bus companies. And not monopolies the market and keep rising fares.

i won't say a car is a need. But it gives me great convinience and saves time. this 2 factor alone kept me on car ownership..so far...

I think gahment can explore other ways to transportation by freeing bus service up to allow private bus company to operate. Gahment have this fear of the 1955 hock lee bus riots that will happen is ludicrous. Back dan the bus unions were organised by communist. Now that the cold war is over we should allow private bus companies to operate in populated areas. Let there be competition between gahment run and private run bus companies. And not monopolies the market and keep rising fares.

If they had the balls, might as well open up the public transport market in SG to players from HK and JPN as well? This will really liberate the monopoly here and force both SMRT & SBS to really compete.

But, no way this is going to happen as public transport is Temasek's cashcow. And they will give some jackass reasons like Singapore is only so small, more players dabbling around with our public transport will do more harm than good bla bla...

Edited by Lethalstrike

The only way to change most Singaporeans' mindset is if it hurts the wallet.

if I am the government, I will advertise, with the cost of ownership, what the amount of money you could have used for instead.

Also hard to change the mindset of existing car owners. Once you drive, its hard to go back to pre-driving days. Either phyological (like the mindset of taking public feels like going back to square one), face, used to the convinences etc.

Like drugs, once started very difficult to quit. Public transport also strained to the max so lagi more difficult, it will be a huge step backwards in our quality of life.

Plus our mindset has been tuned towards relentless pursuit of upgrading our lives.

Like if we now want to move away from home ownership also difficult right? In many countries home ownership is not anywhere like ours eg. UK/US only 60+%

i definitely can. Been travelling on bus and train of late too so dun think why i cannot. Heck, would save me a helluva $$$...but then, do i need to save sooooooooooooooo much? might as well get my private space for tpt...priceless