Coilovers

Somebody

Supercharged

I know coilover are uncomfortable but really lowered the car and improve on its handling.

I read that people actually modify their coilover spring rate to something like

8k front, 6k rear

or 6k front and 4k rear.

anyone in here do that before?

How much does a set of coil over cost?

if you are driving VW, maybe u want to take a look at DCC, adjustable from within the car itself.

Supercharged

I guess coilover are not that popular with the drivers in sg.

did a change in spring rate, from 12k 8k to now, 8k 6k..

improvement in comfort, only slight..

I guess coilover cannot strike a balance with performance and performance.

I know coilover are uncomfortable but really lowered the car and improve on its handling.

I read that people actually modify their coilover spring rate to something like

8k front, 6k rear

or 6k front and 4k rear.

anyone in here do that before?

Spring rate only make the ride harder as it takes more weight to compress per inch. Meaning to say when you go through uneven ground, the g force downwards makes it harder to compress when using high spring rate vs low spring rate.

To add on, it depends on the weight of your car for the spring rate rather then guessing what spring rate to go in. You can't be using an extreme high spring rate for a light weight car vs a heavy weight car. 

if you are driving VW, maybe u want to take a look at DCC, adjustable from within the car itself.

Still will be no where close to coil over though I imagine
  • Praise 2

Hows the tanabe sustec pro 5 coilover?

Not sure about Sustec pro 5, but I ditch my sustec pro s-0c, lousy piece of poop there, every single uneven road from bad road work patch or road sink will hit the bump stop. Soft spring with no damping adjustment...

Went for Tein street advance, abit too stiff, but very good for very high speed turn, able to adjust till I have minimum understeer.

I'll elaborate a bit more, my previous ride was a mini and the suspension setup was really hard lol, this is similiar to what I imagine for a proper coilover setup (least someone who is interesting in getting coilovers)

My current ride has adaptive (similiar to the Vw), I can say even on the sports mode still no where close to my previous E46 M Sports setup, the handling if I had to rate them would be

1. Softest - Bmw adaptive (Sports mode)

2. Firmer - E46 M sports setup (2 generations ago 3 series)

3. Firmest - Mini Cooper S

Correct me if mistaken but from my view someone looking into coilovers would look for a setup at least between 2 & 3, I initially got the adaptive thinking it would at least be as firm as my E46 M sports setup but unfortunately it was not. (got me surprised also after I spent to much $$ [:(]  )

Ps the current M sports for F30 (current 3 series) is closer to the adaptive on sports.

idk, worth a look, comfort / street in one package, adjustable in the car on the fly.

• Praise 1

i just installed a coilover .. basically it felt doink doink on day one.

Then after tweaking up the dampening , it got better.

From my experience this is what I can share for you on how to setup the coilover.

Here are the pre-requisites

You must know your OEM spring rate. Front and back.

Worst case if you don't know, find a car that has a similar weight and shape to your car.

Perhaps I would take example if you drove a Accent but has no clue what spring rate , but you knew Mazda 2 has a spec. Then you are pretty close to that figure. 

Best of all if you had specs of Elantra, then you are much sure that elantra being heavier, would had used a heavier spring rate. Then your bracket of error would be somewhere between that of a Mazda 2 and Elantra. 6/4 kgmm would be pretty safe to start off with ( example only )

Then source for your preferred coilover. 

Usually they came in 2 or 3 class. 

Choose the cheaper ones usually tends to be on the comfortable type. 

More expensive ones usually are harsher, since they cater to the racing or track use owners. 

Once installed, request to your workshop guy to adjust to your preferred ride height so that you can start driving it and try to feel and get used to the new (un)comfortable ride.

Start adjusting the dampening.

Here is the correct tips to do so... my way...

Adjust to factory recommended or default setting.

This is usually 2/3 maximum dampening.

Start by adjusting the front dampening ONLY.

Adjust, drive around for a good 15 minute to get used to it.

Adjust up or down again.

You want to adjust it until you dont get head slaps as you drive over uneven roads

Meaning your bonnet doesnt slap up and down or bounce too much.

Once you roughly get the front up, then its time to do the rear.

The rear is easy.

Rear is generally relative to the front.

Adjust rear dampening until you dont get that squat as you go over the rough section of the road.

If you got it wrong, you would feel that your back of your body wants to squat backwards as you go over rough sections of the road.

Dampen it more then.

You will get harsh bumps on your butt if you get it too hard. 

Once you get both ends done, this is not the end.

Start to play around with your tyres' pressure.

not too much but maybe 5 to 10.. if you pumped 230 maybe you want to play around between 220 to 230. Or maybe slightly higher.

Start to drive over road regulating strips at normal speed.

If you adjusted your coilover correctly and tyre pressure correctly..then what you would get is a very muffled sound as you drove over the speed strips..  without that metallic " pliank pliank pliank " sound of a over inflated tyre.

What you want to feel is the "brop brop brop brop " feel... or if you reduce the pressure somewhat a little lesser. you will feel that super comfy sound of " bruup bruup bruup " sound.. 

Enjoy tuning. 

• Praise 1

Dropped my Bravo on R Logic S Spec with the lowest height and dampening to the softest. Its still comfy and perform well in corners. Might wanna check out this brand.

• Praise 1