Australia: Road Trip - Gold Coast

Surpize

5th Gear

If you are a food lover. You should able to enjoy.

Went there during my honeymoon. Food there are fantastic.

↡ Advertisement

Twincharged

Just to add, there is a jap restaurant that sells v v v good hakata ramen. Its along e main strret in gold coast with lots off jap and chinese restaurants. The noodles are superb and if the noodles are not enough, you can add noodles at no extra charge.

You remember the name?

I am thinking of bringing my family (kids age 3 and 5) in end July to GC due to cooler weather. Do you suggest for package tour or F&E?? Thanks All.

I am thinking of bringing my family (kids age 3 and 5) in end July to GC due to cooler weather. Do you suggest for package tour or F&E?? Thanks All.

it depends:

how much you know about the places (do enough research before you go)?

do you and your spouse like exploring places at your own pace and not worry about getting lost (especially panic with kids)?

how long would you be going?

Hi all,

Anyone has recommendation for car rental in goldcoast?

Will be going in Dec with a big group and will need transport.

Thanks in advance.

it depends:

how much you know about the places (do enough research before you go)?

do you and your spouse like exploring places at your own pace and not worry about getting lost (especially panic with kids)?

how long would you be going?

Not adventurous type but thinking that tour package will miss out nice local places and food. Planning to be there at least 1 week. Will July / August timeframe be very cold? Thanks.

Not adventurous type but thinking that tour package will miss out nice local places and food. Planning to be there at least 1 week. Will July / August timeframe be very cold? Thanks.

i thought so especially you have 2 toddlers, i usually worry for the kids and spouse who is not that adventurous.

However, Gold Coast is very tourist friendly place, if you are comfortable with driving (like experience in driving up north) and some navigation, the place is quite slow and relax, compare to joining tour group. GC dun really have winter, but July/Aug can be a bit chill especially in the evening.

1 week is good for the kids to enjoy the 3 theme parks and a few market place and shopping/eating.

i thought so especially you have 2 toddlers, i usually worry for the kids and spouse who is not that adventurous.

However, Gold Coast is very tourist friendly place, if you are comfortable with driving (like experience in driving up north) and some navigation, the place is quite slow and relax, compare to joining tour group. GC dun really have winter, but July/Aug can be a bit chill especially in the evening.

1 week is good for the kids to enjoy the 3 theme parks and a few market place and shopping/eating.

3 and 5 are a decent age so do not worry too much. Just make sure you have stuff to entertain them while on flight.

GC is a good and friendly place for kids. Everything is slow in that sense. Driving is relatively easy too but like any F&E travel, do some research like reading up forums such as Tripadvisors etc.

I went in July last year, cool in the afternoon and chill in the evening.

Turbocharged

Buy unlimited entry to theme park online, and plan the trip to theme park on weekday if possible. Weekend is more crowded..Their opening hour is short actually... I went on weekday, then again on weekend... The crowd on weekend will make it not enjoyable frankly...

Turbocharged

Hi all,

Anyone has recommendation for car rental in goldcoast?

Will be going in Dec with a big group and will need transport.

Thanks in advance.

For holiday, just get from those big boy, don't save a few bucks then spoil the holiday when have hiccups.... I rent from avis, a very new forte, mileage less than 1k when I rent it.... I book online, collect on the spot .. btw, take note child seat is a must over there, .. [:p]

I've booked the flight to Brisbane this coming Dec & will touched down at 7:30pm. I intend to hire a car straight from Brisbane airport to drive down to Surfers Paradise.

Anyone here can advice if is easy to drive at night from Brisbane airport to Surfers Paradise? I suppose the highway would be without street lighting & will need to be watchful on the road signs [sweatdrop] ???

I've booked the flight to Brisbane this coming Dec & will touched down at 7:30pm. I intend to hire a car straight from Brisbane airport to drive down to Surfers Paradise.

Anyone here can advice if is easy to drive at night from Brisbane airport to Surfers Paradise? I suppose the highway would be without street lighting & will need to be watchful on the road signs [sweatdrop] ???

In Dec, the sunsets at around 8pm. So its still bright when u touch down. Brisbane has abt 14hrs of daylight in summer. Beware! The thermometer could reach 40 degree C at times during summer time.

Driving from Brisbane airport to Gold coast may take u up to 2 hrs. Pls keep within speed limit as they are very strict on this. The toll bridge could save u some time. Enjoy!

It's an easy drive down the pacific hwy. But a GPS would be handy coz usually abit blur getting outta the airport to join the hwy and esp when nearing GC. Can stop at the many fast food places along the hwy to catch a quick dinner.

Thanks Aaron & Soya for your replies.

Will be getting the GPS from the car rental.

For the toll bridge/roads, do they accept cash or do they only accept those 'TouchnGo' card like our NSHW??

Thanks Aaron & Soya for your replies.

Will be getting the GPS from the car rental.

For the toll bridge/roads, do they accept cash or do they only accept those 'TouchnGo' card like our NSHW??

They dun use card n their toll system beri leceh one. Last time i rented from Hertz & Budget n they hv the e-tag that comes wif the rental car. Wif that, they will auto bill ur credit card used for the rental for the toll charges + a $1 or $2 admin fee per day of usage. Hassle free. [;)]

But be careful if u parking in brisbane hor - sibei expensive. [sweatdrop]

They dun use card n their toll system beri leceh one. Last time i rented from Hertz & Budget n they hv the e-tag that comes wif the rental car. Wif that, they will auto bill ur credit card used for the rental for the toll charges + a $1 or $2 admin fee per day of usage. Hassle free. [;)]

But be careful if u parking in brisbane hor - sibei expensive. [sweatdrop]

ya man, I parked at one of the shopping centres in Brisbane and it came up to SGD$47 for about 4 or 5 hours. [knife]

also, carparks are relatively hard to find.

they are usually centralized ones that is shared by a few blocks/streets, so you can expect to walk a little. keep your eyes out for the carpark sign tho, they're large signs with "P" on it.

oh, and the drivers there literally give you way as soon as you signal. most of them will slow down quite significantly for you as soon as they see you signal. so just signal and make sure its safe then quickly go in.

Edited by Eighttales

no issue if you have studied the map prior your trip, I was staying in surfers paradise hotel and drove to Brisbane for dinner and back after 9pm, I duno why we did that but just want to go there to explore.

I will be going Sydney this coming dec to visit my bro family there, was thinking of driving down to GC. Anyone tried, seems like about 9 hours. Been driving road trips in Europe, US and Malaysia. It shouldn't be that tough right if I keep to the speed limit

↡ Advertisement