Australia: Road Trip - Gold Coast

Surpize

quite easy to drive, I did that 2 decade ago when we did a 3 weeks driving in the eastern states covering Melbourne, Tasmania, Sydney then Gold Coast [sweatdrop]

we usually drive at night and had a few adventurous experience but many local has advice not to drive at night cos you never know what will happen on the road.

but I have to say the wonderful experience of watching the galaxy in the sky in the middle of no where when you can't even see your own hand when you turn off the car engine, lamp. Also the sunrise when you cruising along the sugarcane farm before reaching Gold Coast ...... PRICELESS ! :wub: :wub:

I will be going Sydney this coming dec to visit my bro family there, was thinking of driving down to GC. Anyone tried, seems like about 9 hours. Been driving road trips in Europe, US and Malaysia. It shouldn't be that tough right if I keep to the speed limit

Edited by Jman888
↡ Advertisement

Don't want to create another thread.

I'll be going from Adelaide to Melbourne this Nov. Planninf to drive along Great Ocean Road on a relax 5 day trip.

Haven't been to Australia for many years already. So I would like to ask here

1) Which of the car rental is more popular?

2) Do they allow one-way rental?

I'll be going from Adelaide to Melbourne this Nov. Planninf to drive along Great Ocean Road on a relax 5 day trip.

Had good luck with pricing from Hertz. You can do one way rentals but you will pay more.

Hi Folks,

Planning a Road Trip around Gold Coast, Farm Stay at Lamington National Park...

Anyone care to share your experience? Also looking for Australia Map for PaPaGo GPS which I understand an alternative is to purchase in form of SD Card from the Local Agent.

Thanks... [sunny]

I've covered 3000km+ in Perth, Melbourne and New Zealand using Garmin GPS, never got lost. Better to invest in a good reliable GPS.

And also, better to bring your own GPS because you can pre enter all your waypoints into the GPS, do random tests before the trip, so less stress when you pickup your rental car at Brisbane airport.

Edited by Jhyy701

most international car rental allow pick up and return in different location, Avis, Hertz, thrifty....

personally I like Hertz cos it tie up with AAS :D

5-days too much time liao. 3-4 days can more than cover. Yes, one-way rental is common. Can try this site www.vroomvroomvroom.com.au - rates not bad.

But get a big car for the trip - 4L Falcon or something. You'll be glad u did. [;)]

I would say it's fairly easy to drive from the airport to GC.

I would recommend harbour town and robina shopping centre for shopping.

As for food, the ramen place, hakataya ramen, is a good place to enjoy good ramen. Another place you could try is the ashmore seafood and steak located in ashmore. This one seldom people know but tour group always go one.

If need anymore things can ask as I have been living in GC for the past 6 years.

Anyone can advise on the types of cars available for rental over at Brisbane? I'm looking for a large MPV that can sit 6 (4 adults + 2 kids) and hold a good few pieces of large luggages.

What MPV is advisable over there, and is it spacious enough for both passengers and luggage?

And also how is the car condition. How's the driveability?

Saw one post warning about parking. Do they have easy and not too expensive parking in touristy areas?

tks...

I would say it's fairly easy to drive from the airport to GC.

I would recommend harbour town and robina shopping centre for shopping.

As for food, the ramen place, hakataya ramen, is a good place to enjoy good ramen. Another place you could try is the ashmore seafood and steak located in ashmore. This one seldom people know but tour group always go one.

If need anymore things can ask as I have been living in GC for the past 6 years.

Thanks for advice.

I understand the drive from Brisbane airport to GC is pretty straight forward... my only concern is driving in the night as lighting is poor.. (any chance of animals running on to the highway???) & missing the road signs.

Do you know what's the typical traffic condition in the morning from GC to Brisbane airport on a weekday? My flight back to S'pore is at 9:10am.. does that means i need to leave GC by 6am to give myself at least 2 hrs to reach the airport with some time left to return the car & checking in? Thanks!

Anyone can advise on the types of cars available for rental over at Brisbane? I'm looking for a large MPV that can sit 6 (4 adults + 2 kids) and hold a good few pieces of large luggages.

What MPV is advisable over there, and is it spacious enough for both passengers and luggage?

And also how is the car condition. How's the driveability?

Saw one post warning about parking. Do they have easy and not too expensive parking in touristy areas?

tks...

Toyota Tarago aka Estima is popular there.

If staying in brisbane city, no need to rent car. Hotel overnight parking alone will cost A$20-$30/night. They hv a city sights hop-on hop off tour which covers all the touristy places (which ain't much..... [laugh] ).

Toyota Tarago aka Estima is popular there.

If staying in brisbane city, no need to rent car. Hotel overnight parking alone will cost A$20-$30/night. They hv a city sights hop-on hop off tour which covers all the touristy places (which ain't much..... [laugh] ).

Huh... even park at hotel or those farmstay also need pay carpark??

How is the space of Tarago aka Estima huh? If third row wanna seat comfortably, is there space still for luggage?

How is the space of Tarago aka Estima huh? If third row wanna seat comfortably, is there space still for luggage?

you can go to the car rental website to check their fleet and prices, parking at farm stay usually free. what he soya referring to was the down town Brisbane parking rate.

farmstay maybe the cows and sheep will jaga for u free. [laugh]

but city hotel hv to pay......that is, if they even hv a carpark to begin wif. otherwise park in those wilson parking and it's even more ex. last time when i stayed at sydney swissotel, they no carpark n nearest one was A$70/night! [sweatdrop][sweatdrop]

whether boot big enuf or not, go google for pixs n decide for yourself lah.

Just to share [laugh] .. i just came back from perth. They dont have Tarago anymore... all using kia carnival now across all rental companies there. Must get one with cruise control so on the freeways there, much easier to cruise along since most vehicles adhere to the speed limits there strictly

I stayed in the CBD area for 2 nites... what i did was parked the car overnight near very near the hotel (which was free from 6pm to 8am). And payed for the parking till 10am at 3.70AUD/hr fits my sight seeing juz nicely.

Oh.. and we had 6 luggages (3big+3mall) and 6 adults .. still pretty roomy

Thanks for advice.

I understand the drive from Brisbane airport to GC is pretty straight forward... my only concern is driving in the night as lighting is poor.. (any chance of animals running on to the highway???) & missing the road signs.

Do you know what's the typical traffic condition in the morning from GC to Brisbane airport on a weekday? My flight back to S'pore is at 9:10am.. does that means i need to leave GC by 6am to give myself at least 2 hrs to reach the airport with some time left to return the car & checking in? Thanks!

The roads from Brisbane Airport to GC should be well lighted if you travelling on the expressways.

Just make sure you don't speed as they are very strict on this.

Also there is a toll which you need to pay when you come out from GC airport to GC if you are using the expressway, I missed paying that and was fined when I came back

I would suggest leaving GC earlier just in case there are unexpected situation.