2nd hand car dealer FAQs n concerns

Yattokame

Hi guys... hoping you could help answer some of the points raised by my colleagues

were having lunch when the hot topic on cars popped up again. the younger colleagues are really keen to get a car now so they bombarded me with tonnes of questions but some I could not answer - hope to find some help here.

1) How to ensure the dealer won't take my money and run road?

2) After bank loan approved, how to ensure dealer will transfer the car to me (like what happened recently)?

3) How to ensure the dealer fully settle my car before I transfer the car to him? (I suggested bringing cashier's order to the bank.... am I right? Have done this before)

thanks a lot

↡ Advertisement

Supercharged

Hi guys... hoping you could help answer some of the points raised by my colleagues

were having lunch when the hot topic on cars popped up again. the younger colleagues are really keen to get a car now so they bombarded me with tonnes of questions but some I could not answer - hope to find some help here.

2) After bank loan approved, how to ensure dealer will transfer the car to me (like what happened recently)?

3) How to ensure the dealer fully settle my car before I transfer the car to him? (I suggested bringing cashier's order to the bank.... am I right? Have done this before)

thanks a lot

spend a day going around with the dealer... ask them to do all the paperwork and you issue the cheque on the spot

Simple... Tell them not to buy from small dealers..

Buy from the big ones like Prime Cars, CarTimes, Hua Yang, Republic Auto.

Safest especially Republic and Prime. One belongs to Cycle and Carriage, another owns Prime taxi

TS, first warning,,, wtf u start a topic chit chat.....and in general car discussion. PLS NAME THE DAMN THREAD PROPERLY IF YOU WANT MILEAGE

ANOTHER TIME LIKE THIS, AND YOU WILL GET THE OFFICIAL WARNING!

HAVE CHANGED THE TITLE FOR CLARITY

thanks a lot

1) Bo bian, make sure the agreement is properly worded

2) AFAIK, the bank will not release the funds until the car is transfer to your name.

3) In Singapore, a car HAS TO be fully settled, in other words, without any owing amount before the car can be transferred. (make sure you get the transfer confirmation with LTA or onemotoring letterhead from the dealer.)

Supercharged

Safest especially Republic and Prime. One belongs to Cycle and Carriage, another owns Prime taxi

but their price is not so competitive....

Neutral Newbie

Hi,

I'm glad to see this thread as I do have some questions pertaining to dealing with 2nd hand car dealers (esp during this "critical" period).

A small car dealer told me that sending the car to STA for evaluation has to be "queued" now as there are too many cars sending over during this period. In fact, the earliest date that he managed to booked is 1 wk from now. He advised that I proceed to apply for the loan 1st as the bank loan application also needs to be "queued" now. As I have told him that I will not buy the car if the STA grading is C and below, can I/should I proceed with giving him my CPF statements/pay slips to submit for the bank loan application now before the STA results is out?

Any advice is very much appreciated. Thanks! :)

what are the various ADs' used car companies name? Republic auto...who else?

wearnes

performance selection

premium

porsche pre-owned

thats all i can rem off hand

Hi,

I'm glad to see this thread as I do have some questions pertaining to dealing with 2nd hand car dealers (esp during this "critical" period).

A small car dealer told me that sending the car to STA for evaluation has to be "queued" now as there are too many cars sending over during this period. In fact, the earliest date that he managed to booked is 1 wk from now. He advised that I proceed to apply for the loan 1st as the bank loan application also needs to be "queued" now. As I have told him that I will not buy the car if the STA grading is C and below, can I/should I proceed with giving him my CPF statements/pay slips to submit for the bank loan application now before the STA results is out?

this is new. I'd find another dealer with a similar car if possible. or pray hard.

Hi,

Whatever your requirement is deaf ear to them. Once loan approved there is no turning back. I bet when you walk out they will start calling you they manage to jump queue in STA. Or they already know the car grade is below par. Appreciate you name the dealer for others to avoid.

Neutral Newbie

Hi,

The loan application is not legal binding until you sign on the HP agreement after the loan approval. If your purchase agreement is conditioned to void the deal after grading C, you still could do so irregardless of the loan outcome. If your credit profile is not strong for loan, it'll only be fair for the dealer to try the loan first before going thru the trouble of sending the car for inspection.

And yes i believe that STA would take a longer time due to the surge in used-cars sales recently. Why don't you call STA directly to verify on the earliest booking instead of hearing from others?

Supercharged

The loan application is not legal binding until you sign on the HP agreement after the loan approval. If your purchase agreement is conditioned to void the deal after grading C, you still could do so irregardless of the loan outcome. If your credit profile is not strong for loan, it'll only be fair for the dealer to try the loan first before going thru the trouble of sending the car for inspection.

And yes i believe that STA would take a longer time due to the surge in used-cars sales recently. Why don't you call STA directly to verify on the earliest booking instead of hearing from others?

true... call them yourself... keep listening to the dealer and soon you will fall into their trap... maybe not this dealer but another...

Hi,

call STA and ask...

I always thought is walk in, can book meh?

snow,

most important don't put any deposit.....

fyi, whenever I request dealer to send for inspection to the workshop of my choice, I never placed deposit

Neutral Newbie

Prime Cars makes very high margin but very, very poor after-sales service! Basically sell and forget. Few friends went there and all gave same feedback. Boss stingy and stuck up.

Our group will definitely NOT buy there again.