Planning to buy a preowned S350L. What to look out for?

Yattokame

Planning to get a preowned unit of S350L.... anyone has any experience on what to look out for?

thanx!

Hi, the suspension system. Depending on your mileage, the whole set up needs replacement at around 80K. Very expensive. >S$ 17K.

Planning to get a preowned unit of S350L.... anyone has any experience on what to look out for?

thanx!

New one around the corner. Watch the depreciation. Right about the suspension, I know a few guys who sold off to avoid the charges so there might be a few cars out there waiting for the next unsuspecting buyer.

270hp to lug around 2 ton of metal?

Thanks for your kind contribution to petrol companies.... :D

Edited by Ooosh

New one around the corner. Watch the depreciation. Right about the suspension, I know a few guys who sold off to avoid the charges so there might be a few cars out there waiting for the next unsuspecting buyer.

Can afford S-Class but can't afford changing suspension?

Thanx bearbear :)

Am looking at a rather new unit so should be fine.

Plan to send it to C&C for full servicing anyway...

I believe the >$17k replacement cost is for the air suspension system.

Are there any S350L with conventional suspension system? If so, maybe those are more worth getting. You won't have the magic carpet ride but you will get to save yourself a Rolex Daytona every time you need a suspension overhaul...

The S350 is an amazing value car, and will be even better in a year or so when the new W222 launches (rumour has it will be revealed in the next few weeks)

There are a couple of important things to watch out for.

1) Airmatic suspension - as someone mentioned, its about 4.5K sg per side - you can change individually, but if one goes, the other is a matter of time.

So before u buy, check if it works, (raise it, lower it,) send to C&C and budget for at least 2 dying in the next 2 years. There are cheaper replacements, but it is still worth setting aside some budgets.

2) Electronics - This car has so many moving electronics. Some are easy to fix (bulbs etc), some are painfully difficult like power windows, suction doors, massage seats, electric seats, sunroof switches, etc. Make sure you play with all - if it does not work, negotiate hard to have it fixed, or ask for big discounts or walk away.

3) 120,000 KM Service - this is the big milestone service for the S class. Base servicing with C&C comes up to 2K, and independent operators are at least 1K and above.. something to consider/factor/discount from the dealer that you are buying.

Despite all that is mentioned, there is a lot of "car" for the money - especially if you can find one within the $12000/year depreciation. The S300 is probably a better buy simply for the lower road tax/fc, but its for that reason why its priced higher/depreciation in the market.

Happy Shopping!

Neutral Newbie

C&C quote my dad $14K for a set of suspension. for over 4 yrs of ownership, changed compressor twice, gearbox mounting and rear axle bushing changed annually.

Overall its a great car to drive.

Thanx bearbear :)

Am looking at a rather new unit so should be fine.

Plan to send it to C&C for full servicing anyway...

Bro, once warranty is up, dont bother with C&C servcing.

Kena chop and chop, hee hee.

I believe the >$17k replacement cost is for the air suspension system.

Are there any S350L with conventional suspension system? If so, maybe those are more worth getting. You won't have the magic carpet ride but you will get to save yourself a Rolex Daytona every time you need a suspension overhaul...

Thats why my CLS350, i also didnt want the magic carpet ride.....

Hows the Rolex? Sweeeeee right?