Between Hyundai Elantra and Toyota Altis.....

Dechachng

Supercharged

Perceived reliability: Altis. I used to own Avante for 4.5 years. No major problems execept wear and tear. My brakepads lasted 110K km.

Errr you give the advantage to Altis but go on to say you drove AVANTE for 4.5yrs without major problems? Like not tally.

Supercharged

which one do you think is more value for money?

Suggest you try out i30. Basically has whatever Elantra has plus full panaromic roof and electronic parking brake.

And maybe while you're at it take a look at the new Kia Forte too.

5th Gear

Korean car are poor in reliability and quality, only good to look at for a while. The answer is obvious. Altis.

西成秀树, 三口百惠 era over liao. Now PSY era :D :D

Suggest you try out i30. Basically has whatever Elantra has plus full panaromic roof and electronic parking brake.

And maybe while you're at it take a look at the new Kia Forte too.

is the 2013 Kia Forte in the showroom? I heard from SE that it will arrive in June and first delivery is in July

5th Gear

西成秀树, 三口百惠 era over liao. Now PSY era :D :D

Somemore Altis is Tomyam.

Aiyo why bother ? You can see the Ts is merely starting a troll thread just to create awareness for the so called better car in a MIK. By all means let them buy lor .

At the end of the day , it is up to one's choice to go for a MiK car with so called looks that cannot last or a boring car where everyone knows how to repair when faulty. You don't see people going around boasting their MIK better looking than a merc or Audi , not even vw.

I'm currently driving the Elantra GLS. Sat in my friend's Altis. Prefer the quietness of the Altis; Especially road noise.

I can't really tell the difference between the engine noise of the Elantra and Altis when accelerating and cruising at 90-110kph though. Elantra also don't seem to like road bumps and irregularities, with the body being light at 1190kg kerb-weight (lighter than the Avante that it replaces). Currently getting 11.5km/L under normal driving conditions. I did get as bad as 8.5km/L when I absolutely thrashed the car by flooring the accelerator when moving off everytime as much as possible for a week and then some. Haha.

If you want the latest design, go for Elantra (though I suggest getting the K3, simply because it'll have more features for same price or less than Elantra Elite!) and possibly a better interior quality too. Kia also tunes the chassis and steering for better control (less body roll in corners, more stable chassis when going over road bumps and humps) and more feedback respectively. The K3 has also received good media reviews prior to public launch in the many countries around the world!

That said, with the recent introduction of the new 2013 Toyota Vios, I'm pretty sure the Altis will be getting a new design sooner than we think (although there has been concept models unveiling at the previous Motor Shows around the world, but is still a concept design nonetheless).

So hold on for the new 2013.5 Altis and 2013 K3 to reach our shores alright? Haha. Japanese aren't out of the competition yet.

5th Gear
(edited)

I'm currently driving the Elantra GLS. Sat in my friend's Altis. Prefer the quietness of the Altis; Especially road noise.

I can't really tell the difference between the engine noise of the Elantra and Altis when accelerating and cruising at 90-110kph though. Elantra also don't seem to like road bumps and irregularities, with the body being light at 1190kg kerb-weight (lighter than the Avante that it replaces). Currently getting 11.5km/L under normal driving conditions. I did get as bad as 8.5km/L when I absolutely thrashed the car by flooring the accelerator when moving off everytime as much as possible for a week and then some. Haha.

If you want the latest design, go for Elantra (though I suggest getting the K3, simply because it'll have more features for same price or less than Elantra Elite!) and possibly a better interior quality too. Kia also tunes the chassis and steering for better control (less body roll in corners, more stable chassis when going over road bumps and humps) and more feedback respectively. The K3 has also received good media reviews prior to public launch in the many countries around the world!

That said, with the recent introduction of the new 2013 Toyota Vios, I'm pretty sure the Altis will be getting a new design sooner than we think (although there has been concept models unveiling at the previous Motor Shows around the world, but is still a concept design nonetheless).

So hold on for the new 2013.5 Altis and 2013 K3 to reach our shores alright? Haha. Japanese aren't out of the competition yet.

Some may don't like the new model which is not tested in our road yet.

Unlike Elantra and Altis already here quite somtime.

Can have lot of feedback from here.

Edited by Hshs

Then what's the reason of buying a new car? Haha. Isn't one of the drawing factor being it untried and untested?

that's the early adopters...lol

Supersonic
(edited)

I personally think depends what you want. If you are those who always change car within 5 years, get elantra should be ok. But if you plan to drive beyond 5 years or even past 10th year, in terms of reliability maybe altis is better?! Another factor is if you want a sunroof car, then elantra is the choice. [:p]

Edited by 13177

Altis is using Dual-VVTI technology. What about Elantra??

May not exactly be DVVT technology I believe, but called MPI.

In fact now, it's starting to be commonly applied; GDI with light pressure turbo technology. GDI is not a new technology though. It was introduced way way back. First popularly introduced in the Mitsubishi Galant GDI. Haha.

The general trend now is downsizing and turbocharging. Hyundai has the 1.6GDI Turbo (now currently on the Veloster). I do hope that subsequently, this engine makes it to more of their lineup, including Kia's.

Hyundai-Kia already are having the 2.0GDI Turbo 275bhp engines on their i45, K5, Santa Fe in USA for their 2nd / 3rd year now. The only complain would be that the engines actually drink quite a bit more than their on paper would suggest. But these engines were meant to replace the 3.3V6 265bhp engine options they previously had on the Sonata NF and Santa Fe as well. Haha.

When people see 2.0L, they expect 2.0L fuel economy. But they forgot the turbo is giving them added performance as well. It's efficient cos it's using wasted exhaust gas to spool 'turbines', thus giving added boost, but they also tend to link efficiency with fuel consumption, which sometimes isn't the case.

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

May not exactly be DVVT technology I believe, but called MPI.

In fact now, it's starting to be commonly applied; GDI with light pressure turbo technology. GDI is not a new technology though. It was introduced way way back. First popularly introduced in the Mitsubishi Galant GDI. Haha.

The general trend now is downsizing and turbocharging. Hyundai has the 1.6GDI Turbo (now currently on the Veloster). I do hope that subsequently, this engine makes it to more of their lineup, including Kia's.

Hyundai-Kia already are having the 2.0GDI Turbo 275bhp engines on their i45, K5, Santa Fe in USA for their 2nd / 3rd year now. The only complain would be that the engines actually drink quite a bit more than their on paper would suggest. But these engines were meant to replace the 3.3V6 265bhp engine options they previously had on the Sonata NF and Santa Fe as well. Haha.

When people see 2.0L, they expect 2.0L fuel economy. But they forgot the turbo is giving them added performance as well. It's efficient cos it's using wasted exhaust gas to spool 'turbines', thus giving added boost, but they also tend to link efficiency with fuel consumption, which sometimes isn't the case.

MPI/GDI and DVVT describe different aspects of engine technology.

Turbo not necessarily more efficient than NA due to low compression at low RPM.

Edited by SnapEl

Actually the only reason the Altis is reliable is that they are using the old and tested stuff. Nowadays when people buy a car, they prefer something with new technology. Look at the VW. The DSG has so much problems but people still buy. I believe every car has their share of problems even Toyota. It is whether is major or minor. My previous Avante which I bought secondhand 1 year old. I drove for another 4.5 years with a mileage for 160kkm with no problems except wear and tear. Even the wear and tear parts lasted above 100kkm before I change. Generally I feel all MIK and MIJ cars are reliable cos I hear more serious problems from contis. [:)]

↡ Advertisement