Between Hyundai Elantra and Toyota Altis.....

Dechachng

People will still buy Toyota lah. Look at the latest Camry for example. It's simply fugly. And the 2.0L is outdated as ever in the engineering. But I still see people flocking around it at the showrooms.

Let's see how the new Toyota Vios will fare under the S$60k COE environment.

Those who got the Kia Forte during the low COE prices, were public transport converters. Once COE prices went up, they took the opportunity and sold it for a profit. Thus, you hardly see the Forte on our roads now. They were hugely popular during the low COE prices.

Despite seeing many new gen E-Class, 5-Series, S-Class and 7-Series on the roads, I'm seeing much more Nissan Sunny, Toyota Altis and Mitsubishi GLX.

So really, the rich just keep on trading in their cars whenever the facelift / new model arrives, and those who really need a cheap, no frills family car, instead of complaining that COE prices are expensive, they turn to the much cheaper alternative of the above mentioned japanese family sedans. Those who don't want to suffer the huge depreciation of new cars, are willing to wait a few years for the cars to be available 2nd hand.

Everybody who needs 4 wheels whether for status (to the rich, it's a need, I guess to maintain their image in one way or another), or as an alternative to our hopeless public transport, do get what they need.

Turbocharged
(edited)

In case you dont know, the Toyota Camry is Korean Car of the Year award winner, dude. How bad can it be ?

Edited by Ingenius

In case you dont know, the Toyota Camry is Korean Car of the Year award winner, dude. How bad can it be ?

http://www.toyota.co.kr/contents/showroom/...Y&section=4

They are getting the USA version. Not the Asian version (which is disgusting; Macham like getting an inferior product).

I was in the USA last year and tested the 2.5L. Looks and feels much better than our very cheapo looking Camry that we get here. And the Koreans don't get the aged 2.0L 147bhp 4AT version. They get the same engine specs as USA; 2.5L and 3.5L V6.....

Dude , i have seen two corrollas driven til scalp , one ended up in batam as a cab and the other was sold to another which extended . Both were is good working condition even after 10 years and could easily drive for another 10 . Easily over 250kkm for both and if one claims it is reliable why the need to change?

That said , i would only consider MIJs like allions and axios and not altis which is thai made. The quality difference is simply too big.

160k km is not too bad.

The family Avante is now around 140+k, 5 years. Aircon never spoil, no expensive breakdown, no major repair.

Of course, maybe we are returning to the era whereby cars must last >200k because of the current market situation.

But back then when coe was <$20k, I believe a lot of buyers will target change car in 5th year, so an MIK is more than enuff as a form of transport for this purpose.

In today's market, resale MIKs will not be too affected since Avante has established its own reputation, and for people who hard up for the 50% downpayment, a relatively cheap 2nd hand car with smaller downpayment will always have buyers.

(edited)

160k km is not too bad.

The family Avante is now around 140+k, 5 years. Aircon never spoil, no expensive breakdown, no major repair.

Of course, maybe we are returning to the era whereby cars must last >200k because of the current market situation.

But back then when coe was <$20k, I believe a lot of buyers will target change car in 5th year, so an MIK is more than enuff as a form of transport for this purpose.

In today's market, resale MIKs will not be too affected since Avante has established its own reputation, and for people who hard up for the 50% downpayment, a relatively cheap 2nd hand car with smaller downpayment will always have buyers.

Dude , typically from what i hear the problems will start to come after the warranty period. The major problem only occur during the 6~7 year mark , maybe you can update us during that time whether if it is true. Pointless claiming it is reliable when it have not cross the 10 year mark. A simple ratio , how many here actually driven a MIK to scrap without any problems vs how many here that has driven a toyota to scrap with similar claims (out of point but just to highlight my accord is on its 9th year , nothing spoiled too over 290kkm as i driven it to KL many times)? I am not sure of the ratio maybe you can highlight to me?

As for MIK like what you said , it is a cheaper form of a car as compared to other makes , it might not be necessary better than the rest but the cheaper upfront cost is what draws people to it. To me , it isn't much of a difference to me whether if a slightly "smaller" downpayment makes much of a difference. A second hand MIK is worth considering given the % rate of depreciation is pretty high, of course it might be lower than a first hand conti but in term of % wise , it might not. Just check it on sgcarmart.

this temporary 50% ruling is actually pretty good , i really hope this would be in place for a pretty long time. It reduces the risk of people the mentality of changing a car every 5 years and it simply means people have to be more prudent in their spending and this in turn is good over the long run. I still stick to my stand , no money don't learn people buy a car. If wanna buy a cheaper option don't tell the whole world your car is the best in the world. Cost wise over the longer run , MIK might not be necessary cheaper as i mentioned before in our previous engagements.

Prices of avante and corollas(various models) aren't that great a difference during 2009 where COE is below 10k , it is the best comparison. Of course i am not advocating selling a car for profit , but it simply shows the difference in "perceived" value. If one is wrong you can claim it is one off , are you telling me the whole market are full of people which is wrong?

Edited by CH_CO

Supercharged

Dude , typically from what i hear the problems will start to come after the warranty period. The major problem only occur during the 6~7 year mark , maybe you can update us during that time whether if it is true. Pointless claiming it is reliable when it have not cross the 10 year mark.

Who died and made u the authority on the definition of "reliable"? Have to wait for 10years to ascertain whether a car is reliable? Joke siah....

I have never owned a Korean car before but I must say their outline really very swee after been to korea few years back. Especially their K7 and Equus or something. But how long they can last, this one really must observe. Though I'm a toyota owner, I'm not saying Toyota is really a good car. With it's dated technology, it only proves it is a reliable workhorse, pick up quite decent and cabinet is quiet for its class. I have driven Hyundai Avante when it is brand new. It interior is also quiet but the material use to build the car really make it low class. All the hard plastic feel and windows still using manual(Pull to wind up, press to wind down) for driver seat when Jap car already move on to one touch button.

Of course after saying the cons, it does have it pros. Hyundai car are linear when comes to power delivery. Unlike Toyota(08 model), it will move off quite decent but struggling at 2.8k RPM and after 3.2K RPM powers starts coming in again. There is like a black out period between 2.8k and 3.2k RPM.

I have not driven the new Hyundai Elantra but I would say the car just doesn't look good after it has been strip down by Komoco. Other than the engine and gearbox, the tail lamp still using bulb and headlight still using halogen. Interiorly I have not seen, so do not wish to comment much.

(edited)

Who died and made u the authority on the definition of "reliable"? Have to wait for 10years to ascertain whether a car is reliable? Joke siah....

Oh , since when am i the authority and since when are you the authority to give me names? Joke? If i am a joke i won't be owning 3 cars (of which all 3 a cheapo cars) while the one calling me a joke still tells the whole world how he is going to enjoy his MIK for 5 years. Aiyooo you wanna go personal it is your choice.

Edited by CH_CO

You should read my post. I say perceived reliability not actual reliability. It is more to perception.

Agreed. When cars are being brought in by Komoco, they always bring in the cheapest trim. Whereas C&C will bring in Kia cars with everything thrown in.

Supercharged

You should read my post. I say perceived reliability not actual reliability. It is more to perception.

Sorry, I am not sure where you are coming from. Did I comment on any of your posts? I can't find it.

Supercharged

Oh , since when am i the authority and since when are you the authority to give me names? Joke? If i am a joke i won't be owning 3 cars (of which all 3 a cheapo cars) while the one calling me a joke still tells the whole world how he is going to enjoy his MIK for 5 years. Aiyooo you wanna go personal it is your choice.

Precisely - you are not. But you dismissed other forumer's post by declaring that it was "pointless" to claim something is reliable when it has not "crossed the 10year mark" as if you are. The joke is that you are implying that one has to wait 10years before something can be deemed as reliable. I don't care how many cars, property or whatever you own - what has that got to do with anything? And what is wrong with enjoying my MIK for 5 years? Are you saying it cannot last 5 years? How much you willing to bet? Don't forget there are many Avantes, Matrixes, Getz, Vernas, Rios that will instantly prove you wrong.

good opportunity to let everyone know you have 3 cars! congrats, you have arrived! [:p]

(edited)

Precisely - you are not. But you dismissed other forumer's post by declaring that it was "pointless" to claim something is reliable when it has not "crossed the 10year mark" as if you are. The joke is that you are implying that one has to wait 10years before something can be deemed as reliable. I don't care how many cars, property or whatever you own - what has that got to do with anything? And what is wrong with enjoying my MIK for 5 years? Are you saying it cannot last 5 years? How much you willing to bet? Don't forget there are many Avantes, Matrixes, Getz, Vernas, Rios that will instantly prove you wrong.

As u said there are so many models , how many can claim he had no problems ? I ask for a ratio just to question the self claimed reliability which not many can claim they had no problems for 10 years so how the self confidence without any thing to back it up with ? I have seen Toyota in work for the past 20 years and not see problems is a proven fact while the other cant .

If a car cant even last through 5 years then it is a junk or a lemon. I didn't dismiss I am merely pointing out that one needs to pay a lot to maintain the car won't it be better if one gets a car which as compared to the ones claiming they are driving a toyota and there are problems I am pretty sure MIK would have more in ratio of its population . Please instantly prove me wrong. I am waiting.

Please make sure it is more than the complains here.

Edited by CH_CO

good opportunity to let everyone know you have 3 cars! congrats, you have arrived! [:p]

I am pretty sure many here knows. So what is new ?

Supercharged

If a car cant even last through 5 years then it is a junk or a lemon. I didn't dismiss I am merely pointing out that one needs to pay a lot to maintain the car won't it be better if one gets a car which as compared to the ones claiming they are driving a toyota and there are problems I am pretty sure MIK would have more in ratio of its population . Please instantly prove me wrong. I am waiting.

Please make sure it is more than the complains here.

Actually i never disputed toyota's reliability. I am even willing to concede it is more reliable than mik. Thats not to say mik is unreliable. My main point is there is more to buying a car than just reliability.