• Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
75 replies to this topic | 102 praises

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:24 PM

Singa
  • Singa
    3rd Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

As mentioned in the title, which bank is better for property loan?

A little new to buying new property, please share your views.
Thanks

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:37 PM

Viceroymenthol
  • Viceroymenthol
    Supercharged
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Why do you care which bank is better? You are borrowing, not investing.

Best is the bank closes down or messes up its records and you get your loan for free. Hahaha.

I mean if I borrow from ah long, I would pray every day that the ah long gets arrested or knocked down by car and die, right?

Edited by Viceroymenthol, 02 May 2013 - 11:40 PM.

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:00 AM

Timesup
  • Timesup
    Neutral Newbie
    Author Image

you can try ocbc or dbs

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:03 AM

Porker
  • Porker
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Cb lah. People wanna know cos some banks give free legal fee for documentation mah. Not all like you privileged client hor biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:11 AM

Cavver
  • Premium member
    Cavver
    5th Gear
    Author Image

TS is looking to reduce cost of loan lah why so CB ? angry.gif

Edited by Cavver, 03 May 2013 - 12:12 AM.

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:22 AM

Dafansu
  • Premium member
    Dafansu
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

you need to check out all the packages to see which one suits you

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:43 AM

Estrangable
  • Estrangable
    5th Gear
    Author Image

As mentioned in the title, which bank is better for property loan?

A little new to buying new property, please share your views.
Thanks

just took a loan recently so I can share a bit la...u have to call all the different banks from local to foreign such as citi, anz, stanchart, etc. Ask them for their rates. OCBC and some local banks like to propose you to take up their bank board rates...generally I avoid that.. you also need to decide if you want 1 month sibor, 3 months or 6 months...there are also sor rates packages as well.

for me, I took the anz bank loan as they offer legal rebates and some freebies vouchers...gotta to take note that most of the banks are no longer allowed to provide any freebies...so its really up to you to decide how many months and whether you want sibor or sor....and of cos the lock-in period.

BTW never take the bankers that are recommended by your agent....they get a cut in the commission...find your banker and you can ask for such rebates "under table"
----------------------------------------------------------

"Hatred isn't something you're born with. It gets taught. At school, they said segregation is what's said in the bible... Genesis 9, Verse 27. At 7 years of age, you get told it enough times, you believe it. You believe the hatred. You live it... you breathe it. You marry it."
Mississippi Burning, 1988

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:09 AM

Sabian
  • Sabian
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

New or resale?

Some banks offer a lower rate for some new projects.

If you intend to refinance every 3 yrs bec promo rates and lock-in usually apply for the first 3 yrs, citi/hsbc/ bank of china/ anz offering pretty competitive rates.

Citi and HSBC packages are Sibor+0.9.
BoC is SOR+0.85
ANZ is SOR+0.95 or SOR/SIBOR average+0.95

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:47 AM

Johnnylim
  • Premium member
    Johnnylim
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Can just visit here

http://www.smartloans.sg/
http://www.singaporehousingloan.sg/

they compile n let u choose, dun need to call up every banks.

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:38 AM

Singa
  • Singa
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

a bit blur as first time taking bank loan, so more questions:

- any view on whether it is better to based loan on sibor or sor?

- select law firm first or bank loan first?

- which law firm did you use?

just took a loan recently so I can share a bit la...u have to call all the different banks from local to foreign such as citi, anz, stanchart, etc. Ask them for their rates. OCBC and some local banks like to propose you to take up their bank board rates...generally I avoid that.. you also need to decide if you want 1 month sibor, 3 months or 6 months...there are also sor rates packages as well.

for me, I took the anz bank loan as they offer legal rebates and some freebies vouchers...gotta to take note that most of the banks are no longer allowed to provide any freebies...so its really up to you to decide how many months and whether you want sibor or sor....and of cos the lock-in period.

BTW never take the bankers that are recommended by your agent....they get a cut in the commission...find your banker and you can ask for such rebates "under table"

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:47 AM

Singa
  • Singa
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

is it safe to register your phone number with the site?
quite keen to keep my phone number safe from telemarketing.

Can just visit here

http://www.smartloans.sg/
http://www.singaporehousingloan.sg/

they compile n let u choose, dun need to call up every banks.

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:49 AM

Jamesc
  • Premium member
    Jamesc
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

If you believe rates will rise

then the best is a lock in fixed rate loan.

My bank refused to renew my fixed rate loan

and said they don't have any more fixed rate

loans. My guess is that they expect rates to rise

and don't sell fixed rate loans any more.

biggrin.gif
Say no to harsh artificial chemicals

that pollute the earth

and go natural. [thumbsup]

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:52 AM

Sp4wn
  • Premium member
    Sp4wn
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

- sibor should be fine. more transparent imho (though the recent libor scandal should say otherwise). avoid loans using COF (cost of funds)

- both. you should already know where you want to exercise the option. but its always good to make sure the lawyer is on the bank's panel. have seen instances where they dont accept using a specific lawyer (though it's once in a blue moon)

i myself just took a home loan also - what you want to do is get a few quotes and pit the banks against each other. i can tell you right off the bat i got *slightly* lower than what sabian quoted (it also helps i work with banks almost daily too, i suppose). so there is room for negotiation.

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:53 AM

Galantspeedz
  • Premium member
    Galantspeedz
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

If you believe rates will rise

then the best is a lock in fixed rate loan.

My bank refused to renew my fixed rate loan

and said they don't have any more fixed rate

loans. My guess is that they expect rates to rise

and don't sell fixed rate loans any more.

biggrin.gif

i think uob still have 5yr fixed rate if i rem correctly
MCF PS3 Gang
MCF Hamsup Tiko Ranger

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:53 AM

Hexxor
  • Premium member
    Hexxor
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

i got a 0.7% + SIBOR 3m from HSBC 3 years ago. Last time got legal subsidy but now not sure. Started from 0.9%, then 0.8% and now 0.7% till loan clear. No sure if still have this package.

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:34 PM

Estrangable
  • Estrangable
    5th Gear
    Author Image

ANZ was the last bank that still offer legal subsidies during late last year as the result of MAS ruling. Legal fees is about 2.8k and ANZ threw in 500 dollars of vouchers. That is the reason why I took ANZ SIBOR/SOR Combo package. I select bank loan first. My law firm is Eldan Law LPP....I chose them cos they are among the cheapest at 2.5k...but later was told they just jack it to 2.8k
----------------------------------------------------------

"Hatred isn't something you're born with. It gets taught. At school, they said segregation is what's said in the bible... Genesis 9, Verse 27. At 7 years of age, you get told it enough times, you believe it. You believe the hatred. You live it... you breathe it. You marry it."
Mississippi Burning, 1988

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:41 PM

Tarquin
  • Premium member
    Tarquin
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

When I took my home loan 8 years ago...didn't source out long...just wanted to get same bank I was using as "salary savings account" so I have 1 view of everything...well because as far as I believe it's still hutang no matter what...even my car loan is with the same bank (talk about loan loyalty haha...)...but after the lock in period I try to source out as I did a lump sum payment and wanted to shorten the loan tenure (now 10 years)...but in the end still stay with the same bank hehehe...OCBC...but me and wifey don't have cc with OCBC...sent us once but we cancelled..so not really that loyal hehehe..

Now not sure of how the market goes...

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:43 PM

Dezouk
  • Dezouk
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

Ocbc home loan is gd too.

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:51 PM

Altivo
  • Premium member
    Altivo
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

1) I understand banks stopped marketing SOR based loans where SOR when into the negative territory. Not sure about now.

2) & 3) Most law firms charge roughly at the same rate. So I left it to the bank to decide for me. Most important is to find a loan package which suits your needs. So I would say settle the bank part first.

Fixed vs floating etc? Anyway, other than HDB loan which is fixed for the whole tenure, all "fixed" bank loans are only fixed for the first 3-5 yrs. After that, it will convert to a floating basis. By then, your lock-in period would have expired and you can either choose to re-price or refinance it with another bank.
Be responsible, practice safe driving, practice safe sex

Getz: May'04-Feb'08, Avante: Feb'08

Posted 03 May 2013 - 02:03 PM

Lincoln
  • Premium member
    Lincoln
    4th Gear
    Author Image

A supposedly good bank will not give the best deal all the times. Once the bank hit its quota, the best deals might be gone. So, it is best to ask all the banks and study all the options available. Choose the best loan offer, and not the bank. Be it fixed, sibor or whatever.

Back to Property Buzz  ·  Non-Car Related Top Reply to this topic

Quick Reply

Tags: Which, bank, better, property and 1 more...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users