Infant milk powder recommendation

Panerex77

4th Gear

U sweet tooth good life.. One can of Ang Gi Gu Ni everyday ah.. Haha.. Lucky you, plumb plumb

Not one can lah......liddat I prob kena diabetes liao.....normally morning hot milk made from it, afternoon kopi with it than at night horlicks with it....... [:p]

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

Breastmilk is the best for children. Nothing comes close, not even the best infant formula. Kudos for going for that cos it takes a lot of time and effort.

For your info, only about 1-2% of mothers do not have enough breast milk due to medical reasons. The rest are either using wrong technique or finding excuses to quit. If you are truly determined to give the best to your child, do not give up. It saves a lot of money too. Babies on breast milk do not need anything else until 5-6 months when they try solid food.

Both my boys were breastfed. Both are taller than others boys of the same age. Smarter too. It's a matter of choice between breast milk or formula.

most importantly, their body resistance are better against sickness and viruses

(edited)

just brought my newborn home today...

when he was fed formula milk in hospital, nurses said if on formula, only need a feed every 4 hrs.

just now, i fed baby formula milk (similac) at 915am for 40ml, but now at 11+, baby wants to drink again.

got me a scare as he was really crying non-stop, and wife and i never expect him to get hungry easily.

is there something wrong? shd i cheong down to hospital?

or a difference betwen hospital formula milk and off-the-shelves infant milk? somehow hospital formula milk is more concentrate hence can last longer?

oh btw, is it ok to put the baby in 25 deg aircon room + swaddle, or shoudl i just use fan + swaddle?

sorry for being an ignorant dad here...

many thanks for advice..

Edited by Panerex77

Neutral Newbie

Swaddle + air con is fine. Just feed him with milk if he keeps crying else (there is no hard and fast rule that he can only drink every 4 hrs) just stuff a pacifier into his mouth!! Hehe!!

when he was fed formula milk in hospital, nurses said if on formula, only need a feed every 4 hrs.

just now, i fed baby formula milk (similac) at 915am for 40ml, but now at 11+, baby wants to drink again.

got me a scare as he was really crying non-stop, and wife and i never expect him to get hungry easily.

or a difference betwen hospital formula milk and off-the-shelves infant milk? somehow hospital formula milk is more concentrate hence can last longer?

oh btw, is it ok to put the baby in 25 deg aircon room + swaddle, or shoudl i just use fan + swaddle?

many thanks for advice..

Turbocharged

many thanks for advice..

If you are unsure, you can prepare another feed if you're worried abt your infant being hungry. If he's not hungry, he won't drink and if he's hungry, he will.

But the 4 hr guide is not a hard and fast rule. But you can tweak a little using that as a rule of thumb.

No diff between hospital formula and the one you get off the shelf, assuming the same brand and sub type.

One thing abt infant is their needs are pretty simple, drink milk/ sleep/ change diaper.

Do swaddle. As for fan or aircon, if he's not sweating if you use a fan, then you can stick with a fan. If not, can use aircon for a couple of hours to cool the room.

Aircon air drier, do take note. Some baby have dry skin so aircon may not help their dry skin.

Unless your boy is running a temperature or looks unwell or not feeding normally, then to the hospital. Keep a thermometer handy as using hand to measure body temp is subjective.

So far I haven't come across a baby can 1 feed last 4 hrs one.

Don't worry, anything just call up your mum and she should be more than enough to help.

If you are unsure, you can prepare another feed if you're worried abt your infant being hungry. If he's not hungry, he won't drink and if he's hungry, he will.

But the 4 hr guide is not a hard and fast rule. But you can tweak a little using that as a rule of thumb.

No diff between hospital formula and the one you get off the shelf, assuming the same brand and sub type.

One thing abt infant is their needs are pretty simple, drink milk/ sleep/ change diaper.

Do swaddle. As for fan or aircon, if he's not sweating if you use a fan, then you can stick with a fan. If not, can use aircon for a couple of hours to cool the room.

Aircon air drier, do take note. Some baby have dry skin so aircon may not help their dry skin.

Unless your boy is running a temperature or looks unwell or not feeding normally, then to the hospital. Keep a thermometer handy as using hand to measure body temp is subjective.

thanks you guys are fantastic and prompt..

even faster than me trying to call the hospital hotline for enquiry

very scary when baby cries and when baby does something ususual like sneezing...

btw for the temp,i am using an ear thermometer...if the ear temp is above 38 deg celsius, that means baby got fever?

i know i shd be asking such questions in motherhood forums, but their responses there are not so prompt.

I not a dad yet but pardon me ... normal person is 37 degree Celsius , ur boy is 38 degree already.. anything above 37.0 degree is consider slight fever..

better check with ur wifey and ur mum or the hospital if this is normal [:/]

Can the mum and dad here help TS?

thanks!

many thanks for advice..

2hrs cry most likely drink not enough... feed abit more like 60... for me i slowly add abit more to lengthen time so not so tiring

but rem to place him sideways, in case he vomit... if put face up later choke..

25 is ok but try not to blow direct at him... I also bought a type of pillow to place on his tummy, usually made of beansprouts.. makes him feel more secure

lastly buy hospitalization plan for him quickly..

mine 15months liao.. so still quite fresh in memory

So far I haven't come across a baby can 1 feed last 4 hrs one.

Don't worry, anything just call up your mum and she should be more than enough to help.

depends how big... mine about 2-3months, sleep through the night liao

thanks you guys are fantastic and prompt..

even faster than me trying to call the hospital hotline for enquiry

very scary when baby cries and when baby does something ususual like sneezing...

btw for the temp,i am using an ear thermometer...if the ear temp is above 38 deg celsius, that means baby got fever?

i know i shd be asking such questions in motherhood forums, but their responses there are not so prompt.

thermometer I got 3 types, infrared, ear and then the normal glass type... only very serious then I use the normal glass type to be more precise

I doubt hospital can do much... sponge the baby I think is better option... especially they tend to have fever after injection...

above 39.5 then see doc...

so far normal things like fever and cough is self medicated... because medicine can be bought over the counter

(edited)

Only a Few days old.. better be bring to hospital if suspect anything wrong...go to pte if u have means... cos kkh waiting time is long and many sick kids there... not sick later become sick...I usually head down to raffles hospital.

If I am not wrong, too young use ear thermometer not accurate. .

Edited by ShepherdPie

Hypersonic
(edited)

many thanks for advice..

2 hour a feed sounds about right esp when it is only drinking 40ml of formula.

if your wife is serious on breastfeeding, then just put on the breast everytime it cries for milk.

helps to build up supply in this early stage.

FYI my current baby now slightly more than 2 months, is drinking about 80 ml every 2-3 hours.

if baby has stuffy nose, don't use aircon or fan. remember newborns are used to mum's body temperature in her womb.

must swaddle even at normal room temp. don't use adult's expectations on a newborn

I believe TS must be tired out now since its the first night with baby. have fun!

[:)]

Edited by Enye

Hypersonic

wah, did breast milk gave your children superpower or not. Breast milk makes a person smarter, first time I hear leh. I must find sone nehneh to drink liao... [laugh]

Breastmilk too late to help you liao lah. Now, it can only give u erection not wisdom :D[:p]

depends how big... mine about 2-3months, sleep through the night liao

Mine 2 all slp thru after 2mths.

Its depends on how we train.

2hrs cry most likely drink not enough... feed abit more like 60... for me i slowly add abit more to lengthen time so not so tiring

but rem to place him sideways, in case he vomit... if put face up later choke..

25 is ok but try not to blow direct at him... I also bought a type of pillow to place on his tummy, usually made of beansprouts.. makes him feel more secure

lastly buy hospitalization plan for him quickly..

mine 15months liao.. so still quite fresh in memory

thanks all here..i finally got time to reply now...really really tiring for a first time dad here...

currently i already have free PLan 2 AvivaShield coverage because myself and wife are under Aviva Shield Plan 1. The bane abt the free plan 2 is that it does not cover PTE hospitals.

Shd i ask my PD whicch hospital she usually operates in?

And if it is a PTE one, then i go on with buying a separate shield plan for the baby?

I have the beansprout pillow too. But no matter how tight i swaddle him, he still eventually to free himself from the swaddle, with his 2 hands raised high high next to his ears. So the risk of placing the beansprout pillow is that he may somehow flip the pillow over and cover his face...

sianz...to swaddle or not to swaddle?

By swaddling, he could be wasting his precious sleeping time trying to struggle out from the swaddle.

By not swaddling, wonder what dangerous things he will do when our eyes are not him.

↡ Advertisement