MyCarForum Logo
Search
Signs Alternator battery failing Signs Alternator battery failing Signs Alternator battery failing Signs Alternator battery failing

• Search this thread
56 replies to this topic | 5 praises

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:10 PM

YEN96
  • YEN96
    4th Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Need to confirm the symptons.

Recently, after starting car, battery sign lights up. the battery sign will disappear after i move off and driving above 2500 RPM. Below 2500 rpm, the battery sign wil light up.

How do i do a quick check which is the failing part ( alternator or battery ?? ) or any loose connections ???

i read somewhere can use a screwdriver to do a quick test on the alternator ??

Edited by YEN96, 04 May 2013 - 12:11 PM.

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:49 PM

Fitvip
  • Fitvip
    5th Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Need to confirm the symptons.

Recently, after starting car, battery sign lights up. the battery sign will disappear after i move off and driving above 2500 RPM. Below 2500 rpm, the battery sign wil light up.

How do i do a quick check which is the failing part ( alternator or battery ?? ) or any loose connections ???

i read somewhere can use a screwdriver to do a quick test on the alternator ??

Is the belt loose? Or it nay be carbon warn out!

Edited by Fitvip, 04 May 2013 - 12:50 PM.

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:52 PM

Sky61
  • Sky61
    4th Gear

before crank if reads less than 12volts, batt kaputting. if after cranking, volt goes below 14, alernator kaputting soon.

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:09 PM

Yeobh
  • Yeobh
    Supercharged

Yes the fastest way to destroy yr alternator is to do a spark test with a screw driver. Just touch one end of the screwdriver to ground ( chasis) and the shank touching the the alternator + terminal. Try it and let us know wave.gif
Visit My Facebook for the latest automotive breaking news & innovative specialty tools.

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:21 PM

Kb27
  • Kb27
    Turbocharged

Sounds like alternator problem.
Maybe the voltage regulator is failing.

You should get a voltmeter to check, at idle and higher rpm.
If the voltage remains constant around 14V, then alternator is ok.

Otherwise, you should get it replaced asap.

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:51 PM

6th Gear

Is there changes to the sound and duration to start engine? i.e. longer crank time may mean a weak battery that is discharging.
How old is battery?
You can also confirm battery health with a battery load meter.

Alternator charging should be what other's have mentioned at be steady at 14-14.5 V.

Please dont try alternator with screw driver. You may even short main & alternator fuse and injure yourself with the high energy sparks.

If its alternator, it may not be totally down yet, you have the options to consider overhaul or replacement.

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:05 PM

Davidtkl
  • Davidtkl
    6th Gear

One of the tell tale sign of alternator is a burnt smell.

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:05 PM

6th Gear

One more question regarding battery health:

Charge light warning on dashboard prompt in the morning, after long hours beteen use, or everytime you started engine.

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:58 PM

YEN96
  • YEN96
    4th Gear

i am still monitoring....no issues cranking to start so far but battery indicator light up irregardless long or short time between starts.

current battery and alternator were changed about 1 year ago only...so fast go kapoot already ?!?!

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:58 PM

YEN96
  • YEN96
    4th Gear

pray is not alternator...damn expensive part...1 year ago i change recon alternator and new battery cost me close $4XX+ close to 500....then one month later, i went back again cos the alternator gave problem.....1 year no problem....now 1 year later....again? my car got no heavy ICE or any other electrical stuff

man celebrate birthday...car also got birthday...now alternator & battery also every year want me to celebrate birthday ?!?!haha...stress leh

any good lobang ( Electrical shop or go scrapyard find ?? ) or more economical solutions or not ?...cannot tah han every year change ...faintzzzzzz man !!

Edited by YEN96, 05 May 2013 - 12:11 AM.

Lurpsexx praised this

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:47 AM

6th Gear

With additional info, it's 99% alternator issue.

Agreed, One year is too soon. Alternators are quite rebust.

The recon alternator you installed one year ago may not be truly a rebuilt and may likely be just a second hand alternator.

For cheaper option send your car in to a alternator repair shop, not motor workshop.

Maybe Icyfreak can help to get it overhauled or recommend local repair shop.

I dont have direct contact for a SG workshop. But JB Tiong Bee tel is 63365008.
Compare price at CHop Hock Hong alternator shop. 332 king George Ave, 208570. www.chophockhong.com.sg

Search around MCF, there may be more on alternator repair address.

Its a one day job.

Take note of serial number of your alternator, to be sure you get it back overhauled, and not another second hand unit.

Posted 05 May 2013 - 03:47 AM

Gti26888
  • Premium member
    Gti26888
    Clutched

One of the way to check the alternator is working
After u start your car , disconnect the-ve of the batt terminal. Umscrew the -ve of the connector to the batt
If the alternator still working then is ok. If not the engine will stop running.

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:11 AM

Nicholas
  • Premium member
    Nicholas
    6th Gear

After u start your car , disconnect the-ve of the batt terminal. Umscrew the -ve of the connector to the batt
If the alternator still working then is ok. If not the engine will stop running.

Please don't do that, it'll fry your ecu.

http://www.mycarforu...o...86150&st=50

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:18 AM

Yeobh
  • Yeobh
    Supercharged

Where do you get this info ? It's your own idea or some mechanic taught you this. Hopefully you are not a trained mech biggrin.gif
Visit My Facebook for the latest automotive breaking news & innovative specialty tools.

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:55 AM

6th Gear

20 years ago this is not an issue.

You can do this to mechanical car but not on those current electronics packed car.

Dont even think of doing this to hybrid cars.

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:19 AM

Fcw75
  • Fcw75
    NOS-ed

Please stop giving s--t info here, you may put others in trouble.

Should get a yellow card for this.

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:27 AM

Yeobh
  • Yeobh
    Supercharged

Right we should try to discourage forumers from discing out BS info. If we pretend and accept thier BS , then this forum will be heading for monkeys.Serious forumers will not come here to seek technical adv/info for their car problems. That's is the simple reason why so many old timers had disappear form this forum. bigcry.gif

Edited by Yeobh, 05 May 2013 - 11:29 AM.

Posted 05 May 2013 - 03:26 PM

Gti26888
  • Premium member
    Gti26888
    Clutched

Recently , i have problem with starting my car. The workshop mechanic unscrewed the -ve teminal.attached to the battery to check whether the batt or the alternator problem. I just relayed what i saw. What is the worst consequence ?? Pls advise

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:27 PM

Yeobh
  • Yeobh
    Supercharged

It's high time for your mech to retire or invest some pocket money to purchase a simple battery /alternator tester. Doing business without proper tools is like trying to catch tuna without a good bit.

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:44 PM

YEN96
  • YEN96
    4th Gear

and, please keep 1 set of jumpstart cables or portable battery packs ...maybe it can save us someday

there is one shop in geylang ( lor 37 or 39 ) doing Alternator repair works..seem like a electrical shop...anyone tried before ?? can they do good repair work and how are their charges ?

Edited by YEN96, 05 May 2013 - 10:05 PM.

Back to Maintenance & Repairs  ·  Aftermarket Top
Dynamics Mechanic Pte Ltd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users