University degree not VITAL for success!

RadX

I agree, i prembaree tree oni....... [laugh] [laugh]

University degree 'not vital for success': Khaw Boon Wan

Getting good jobs after leaving school more important: Khaw

Published on May 05, 2013 8:44 AM

By Toh Yong Chuan

Singaporeans do not need to be university graduates to be successful, said National Development Minister Khaw Boon Wan yesterday.

What is more important is that they get good jobs after leaving school, Mr Khaw told some 160 students and young adults in an Our Singapore Conversation dialogue.

"If they cannot find jobs, what is the point? You own a degree, but so what? That you can't eat it. If that cannot give you a good life, a good job, it is meaningless," he added.

Mr Khaw was responding to a participant who said the Government should set aside more university places for Institute of Technical Education (ITE) and polytechnic graduates.

↡ Advertisement

Supersonic
(edited)

b-------t !!!

it is only true if you do your own business ...

if you come out to work and climb the corporate ladder to gain capital and experience & contact to run business .... degree is everything

just look at the job application ... GOOD DEGREE .... MNC including GLC ... no good degree no talk (must have good marks too ... honours or with merit)

Edited by Wt_know

eh dunch tell me......tell Khaw...he send his daughters to uni too [laugh] [laugh]

degree might give u a career path but it also can hold u back to do other things in life..

how many wana give up a comfort zone (if there is) to risk ot do things

for poly n ite different, they no comfort zone in beginning so need to stay foolish,stay hungry to create their own path..so if heng (pple always say pple success is heng, dont know why) , they can achieve it big

Supercharged

this is very subjective, especially in SG context. our system can't accept and doesn't allow non-degree holders to excel. and we look down on blue collar jobs, and we are not entrepreurer-friendly.

Unlike in US or EU, creativity is more important over there; failure is accepted as part of success. In SG, if you fail, ppl will start laughing.

This Khaw is talking bull again.......

• Praise 1

degree might give u a career path but it also can hold u back to do other things in life..

for poly n ite different, they no comfort zone in beginning so need to stay foolish,stay hungry to create their own path..so if heng (pple always say pple success is heng, dont know why) , they can achieve it big

and once u have it, you not hungry anymore.......i am coming to that stage where i have achieved what i wanted aldy....no longer hungry... [bigcry] [bigcry]

what he say is not wrong... got degree no job also no use....

but who is the one placing the importance on a degree and must be a recognised degree.. it is themselves

and once u have it, you not hungry anymore.......i am coming to that stage where i have achieved what i wanted aldy....no longer hungry... [bigcry] [bigcry]

not hungry = eat too full nothing to do [:p]

Supersonic
(edited)

somewhat disagree ... how many got rich papa and rich mama to give them capital startup to setup company even for quick IT startup like developing internet portal or iphone apps.

non richies son/daughter need to go out to work to earn money ... save capital ... gain experience and contact in order to start business (giving up comfort zone is a different thing)

some time tv show that .... 20+ something already open shop selling designer goods or IT startup company ... but they failed to mention they got $200K funding from their rich papa/mama and they don't even have to pay pocket money to their parent monthly and worry about their aging parent livelihood. perhaps, their bmw/merc also provided by their daddy/mommy

Edited by Wt_know

what he say is not wrong... got degree no job also no use....

but who is the one placing the importance on a degree and must be a recognised degree.. it is themselves

correct bro....i tell you, the relevanc eof the degree is impt.

I see many folks who took on the biomed degres, now doing sales, and other non relevant jobs cos no jobs.....

i still say undertaker is never sunset industry

what he said is true.. good job is the most impt. He is a living example.

acherlee MBT more apt...he o level not as good as CST too [laugh] [laugh]

somewhat disagree ... how many got rich papa and rich mama to give them capital startup to setup company even for quick IT startup like developing internet portal or iphone apps.

non richies son/daughter need to go out to work to earn money ... save capital ... gain experience and contact in order to start business (giving up comfort zone is a different thing)

some time tv show that .... 20+ something already open shop selling designer goods or IT startup company ... but they failed to mention they got $200K funding from their rich papa/mama and they don't even have to pay pocket money to their parent monthly and worry about their aging parent livelihood. perhaps, their bmw/merc also provided by their daddy/mommy

this is the different thing already..and very important part..

Supersonic

i find their message sibei contradicting ....

in order for the country to become better ... education is the key

in order for people to move up and do better job ... education is the key

in order to earn higher salary ... education is the key

in order to compete with other countries ... education is the key

sounds like sibei VITAL leh ...

u can train another Pete Samprass out to make u hungrier [laugh]

Turbocharged

this is very subjective, especially in SG context. our system can't accept and doesn't allow non-degree holders to excel. and we look down on blue collar jobs, and we are not entrepreurer-friendly.

Unlike in US or EU, creativity is more important over there; failure is accepted as part of success. In SG, if you fail, ppl will start laughing.

This Khaw is talking bull again.......

And the root of this mentality is started by the govt themselves with the coveted "govt scholarships".. only straight As students may apply..

↡ Advertisement