"Lee Way" van requesting for more leeway on road

Obscurest

last nite while having coffee at lokyang and overheard a driver in his 50s told his friends that he was given a court order for speeding over 150 in his truck....in my heart i was jumping with joy!!!!......this morning along jalan buroh...a truck (All Best

) with full loads of workers on lane one towards west coast went at about 90km/h...these drivers needed their vehicles checked for limiter tampering...

Put it in a nicer way, the acts of speeding by commercial vehicles are tolerated by both TP and LTA.

If not, why after so many years, they don't see the problem and solve it? Speeding by these vehicles continue.

On the other hand, CPF board is so proactive in upping the minimum sum again when no one is complaining it is too low.

↡ Advertisement

last nite while having coffee at lokyang and overheard a driver in his 50s told his friends that he was given a court order for speeding over 150 in his truck....in my heart i was jumping with joy!!!!......this morning along jalan buroh...a truck (All Best

) with full loads of workers on lane one towards west coast went at about 90km/h...these drivers needed their vehicles checked for limiter tampering...

What I saw is a truck carrying workers , two of them is fisting each other while the rest try to stop them :blink:

Just to share how daring commercial vehicles are nowadays...

not just fast but daringly travel on lane 1 and chiong all the way.

Cheers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWxWcpXLM8U

video is gone liao. but anyways, i don't really care if a van or lorry is travelling on lane 1 in front of me, as long as they are not road hogging. by hogging i mean, travelling slower than vehicles on lane 2, or traveling side by side same speed as the lane 2 vehicles like marching in the national day parade. i'd rather be behind a reasonably paced van than a road hogging sedan on lane 1. but i understand the typical singaporean ego that immediately curse any "lower-class" vehicles for having the audacity to occupy the privileged lane 1.

Put it in a nicer way, the acts of speeding by commercial vehicles are tolerated by both TP and LTA.

If not, why after so many years, they don't see the problem and solve it? Speeding by these vehicles continue.

On the other hand, CPF board is so proactive in upping the minimum sum again when no one is complaining it is too low.

If you read today's newpaper, there are actually ongoing curbs to prevent speeding for heavy vehicles.

Some companies even install hidden GPS, some give monetary rewards monthly if no summons.

Sadly, a lot of truckers tamper with speed limiters because they are paid based on number of trips.

If you read today's newpaper, there are actually ongoing curbs to prevent speeding for heavy vehicles.

Some companies even install hidden GPS, some give monetary rewards monthly if no summons.

Sadly, a lot of truckers tamper with speed limiters because they are paid based on number of trips.

To curb speeding, it takes 2 hands to clap. If TP ain't enforcing strictly, this thing will never end. Did someone at the top gave instructions to be laxed in enforcement or the TPs on the ground can't be bothered?

If they want the company to play a part, then fine the company as well for every ticket issued to the offending drivers. Companies ain't stupid enough to pay this fine and will ultimately recover from the driver. The driver bears twice the fine. Over some time, u see if they'll think twice about speeding again.

Another simplier solution is to force commercial vehicles to travel on lane 3 only in a 3 lane expressway and lanes 3 and 4 on a 4 lanes expressway. The slower moving vehicles will force these drivers to keep to their speed limits. Best, many cars are now equipped with cameras. If these vehicles stray out of their lanes, the footage can be submitted to TP. Every footage received earns $10, paid by the offending driver on top of his fine. If he's filmed by 20 drivers, then it's $200 + the fine. With this, TP can cut their presence on the roads and let other drivers do their jobs.

If the whatever associations representating makes noise, it is almost as good as admitting that these commercial drivers are speeding all these while.

Turbocharged

imo, enforcement is there, but manpower is not enough.. how often do you see a TP bike around?

yes, these guys do book speedsters, but for every one speedster he picks up, there will be at least 10 more gets to zoom pass 'safely'.

also, what about penalties? its time to review it up, since many don't care hoots about it?

Supercharged

What I saw is a truck carrying workers , two of them is fisting each other while the rest try to stop them :blink:

What type of fisting? [:p]

video is gone liao. but anyways, i don't really care if a van or lorry is travelling on lane 1 in front of me, as long as they are not road hogging. by hogging i mean, travelling slower than vehicles on lane 2, or traveling side by side same speed as the lane 2 vehicles like marching in the national day parade. i'd rather be behind a reasonably paced van than a road hogging sedan on lane 1. but i understand the typical singaporean ego that immediately curse any "lower-class" vehicles for having the audacity to occupy the privileged lane 1.

dun agree fully with u....there's a good reason why vans/lorries cannot be on lane 1....they can't brake as well as cars, so if u r the car in front of them, high chance tat they will rear end u if got emergency brake in front.... [:(]

dun agree fully with u....there's a good reason why vans/lorries cannot be on lane 1....they can't brake as well as cars, so if u r the car in front of them, high chance tat they will rear end u if got emergency brake in front.... [:(]

and higher chances that you will rear end them if they e-brake coz you can't see the traffic infront of them and cannot judge as well compare to a clear view. so my take is trucks, lorries, and which ever vehicles which are not suppose to be in lane one, pls FXXK OFF! i dun care you travel at 100 or 200kph, cause its not abt speed, there are lots of reasons, maybe you nuts cannot comprehend, why you are not suppose in lane one.

5th Gear

another issue....there are many heavy truck drivers frequently drink beer during their break and then drove their vehicles very fast.... i saw at jurong bowl food court....

Hypersonic

[laugh][laugh][laugh]

there are no lower-class vehicles , every car is damm expensive to own in singapore.

i believe in by slowing down the traffic no matter road hogging or traffic jam, these inconsiderate people are slowing the country economy down which consists of many trades.

and higher chances that you will rear end them if they e-brake coz you can't see the traffic infront of them and cannot judge as well compare to a clear view. so my take is trucks, lorries, and which ever vehicles which are not suppose to be in lane one, pls FXXK OFF! i dun care you travel at 100 or 200kph, cause its not abt speed, there are lots of reasons, maybe you nuts cannot comprehend, why you are not suppose in lane one.

Lane one is law is not enforce well in SG. No one use it as a overtake lane. HK police very on against veh cruising on lane 1. SG lane 1 to 4 no diff. Morning jam you can see tipper truck in lane 1 too. Causing the jam to lagi worse

imo, enforcement is there, but manpower is not enough.. how often do you see a TP bike around?

yes, these guys do book speedsters, but for every one speedster he picks up, there will be at least 10 more gets to zoom pass 'safely'.

also, what about penalties? its time to review it up, since many don't care hoots about it?

Like the suggestions I made earlier, rewarding drivers to submit video recordings of traffic violations is almost as good as having TP on the roads. Currently TP insists that whoever submitted the video evidence must be prepared to stand as a witness if the offending driver denies responsibility. This move is enough to deter many from reporting, and if the video recording is clear enough in proving the offence, why the need to stand as witness?

Even booking 1 and allowing the other 10 to get away, if TPs are nabbing these drivers non-stop, how long can they hide? If they insist on their speeding ways, sooner or later they'll be caught. When 1 driver is caught and given demerit points and caught again, how many times can the licence tahan before being suspended after accumulating 24 points if he is a die hard speedster?

Another group of drivers are overlooked. These are the school bus drivers. Would you feel safe to let your kids sit inside such a bus that goes at 70-80km/h on normal roads?

Simply put, the entire traffic enforcement has been neglected and rotton to the core that it is no longer enforceable. I won't be surprised that one day we'll be told to accept it as it is part and parcel of driving in SG. If some new enforecements are introduced that affects commercial vehicle drivers, some associations will stand up against it, then others will chip in to say will increase cost of delivery ... blah blah blah ... and ask for more leeway ... and it's back to square one. Only here the rules can be negotiated by the stakeholders.

↡ Advertisement