Road tax and insurance - Renew or not?

Facing dilemma situation.

I will need to renew road tax and insurance for my car by 17 May for 9th year. My 6th bidding for new car will only be in 22 May.

What should I do?? Pls help to advise.......Thanks.

↡ Advertisement

Facing dilemma situation.

I will need to renew road tax and insurance for my car by 17 May for 9th year. My 6th bidding for new car will only be in 22 May.

What should I do?? Pls help to advise.......Thanks.

Your situation so tight, anyway just renew lah, can get refund of unused portion.

Your situation so tight, anyway just renew lah, can get refund of unused portion.

Thanks. My understanding is that road tax cannot be refunded right? Only insurance can.

Thanks. My understanding is that road tax cannot be refunded right? Only insurance can.

Should be can leh, maybe you can check on LTA website.

6th Gear

No refund as I have encountered this problem. Maybe get to the counter and discuss for pro-rota!!!!!

No refund as I have encountered this problem. Maybe get to the counter and discuss for pro-rota!!!!!

May I know what do you mean by get to the counter? You mean go to LTA?

Oh, but come to think of it, TS, how old is the car now? 8 yrs 11 mth? If you are late in scraping your car(meaning to say your car turn full 9 years old), you tend to lose alot on the parf rebate leh, do your maths again....

I suggest you scrap it first since already have intention to change. Did you trade in? If yes, talk to your AD again.

Oh, but come to think of it, TS, how old is the car now? 8 yrs 11 mth? If you are late in scraping your car(meaning to say your car turn full 9 years old), you tend to lose alot on the parf rebate leh, do your maths again....

I suggest you scrap it first since already have intention to change. Did you trade in? If yes, talk to your AD again.

Yes, my car is 8 yrs 11mth now. Assuming if I scrap it now, it is considered 60.5% of OMV. After 17 May, it will drop to 55% of OMV. I will lose $750+.

My AD will scrap my car upon successful bidding. How how how?? Sigh Sigh Sigh.

Is it true that road tax can be claimed thru' LTA upon car de-register?

Yes, my car is 8 yrs 11mth now. Assuming if I scrap it now, it is considered 60.5% of OMV. After 17 May, it will drop to 55% of OMV. I will lose $750+.

I think you talk to your AD first will be better, he will advise you on what to do. My car also scrap at 8yr 11mth, she keep reminding me to hurry scrap else will lose some parf rebate.

5th Gear

Road tax will be refunded pro-rated by LTA a few weeks after scrap (u will receive cheque). Insurance can refund but usually not full (they deduct some costs first).

Lose $750 better than you stranded with no car. Moreover no guarantee you will get in next bidding right?

Supercharged

If you are not selling your car to another person or car dealer, but intend to de-register, LTA will refund the unused portion of the road tax to the registered owner. However, if you are selling your car to another person or the car dealer, and you want to get back the road tax you have paid, then it should be done during the price negotiation, you will get the refund from dealers/buyer in the form of upping the offer price during negotiations.

↡ Advertisement