Any opinion on park and ride scheme? Please share!

Student92

P&R has a dedicated ezlink card. So maybe some of these ezlink cards' value are not used ?  or usage not in sync with the P&R location ?

Should be the case.  Like the "civil servant" quoted in the article, she probably worked in HDB or something.  So, she parks in the P&R carpark, sells her ezlink card to her friend who probably does not live near there. 

I suspect a lot of people use the TPY carpark for cheap season parking - I once wanted to park there and take a train to Orchard, but the whole car park's visitors lots were full.  Not a single car park space left.  In the end, had to drive into town.

↡ Advertisement

aiyoh it has been abused for so long lor.. ppl working at bishan cpf building and hdb hub have been buying 'cheap season parking' at their workplace i.e. bishan & tpy mrt for so long..

It is very difficult to match a P&R to your workplace lor.

I only heard of 1 case in my circle of friends lor, he P&R and walk about 2km to workplace EVERY WORKDAY lor, 4km to and fro lor.

Good exercise for him.

He give the easilink car to wife who take MRT or bus to work.

It save some small money, he get to exercise.  It is a good idea.

I only heard of 1 case in my circle of friends lor, he P&R and walk about 2km to workplace EVERY WORKDAY lor, 4km to and fro lor.

Good exercise for him.

It is good for CBD with P&R car park from east to west and most of them within walking distant to mrt station or a quick bus ride.

Cheaper season parking outside cbd, then no need for P&R.

aiyoh it has been abused for so long lor.. ppl working at bishan cpf building and hdb hub have been buying 'cheap season parking' at their workplace i.e. bishan & tpy mrt for so long..

yeah.. so true. 

now pichar lobang liao. boh kangtao

its the same lah. When commercial vehicle was cheap, I remember poly and uni grad start to buy kangoo and VW Caddy for convenience

I think the fact that cars are still a convenient is what makes it difficult to give up. So the easier way to implement car lite is to make it super ex and super inconvenient to own a car 

Reduce the number of parking lot for a min office development

I believe for a while everyone was moving forward with the train system. I still find it a shame that one of the Junior college initiative to use the MRT to ferry the cohort from school to a sports day even became a talking point. I feel that it would have being a really good way to showcase the SMRT logistic powess.

I still cannot figure out how that was arranged. 

Good exercise for him.

Why he needs to walk 2km? Can jolly take a bus lo.

Anyway, if many people misuse the P&R scheme, also defeat the purpose of having such scheme which may deprive those who are really genuinely P&R user but could not get a lot.

actually the govt shd take the lead, relocate MND MOF CCS MCCY MCI MAS URA MOLaw and the rest of city ministry stat board to other non-city locations NOW..

2km bus is minimum charge ma ........ $40 incentive to exercise lor ??

Why he needs to walk 2km? Can jolly take a bus lo.

Anyway, if many people misuse the P&R scheme, also defeat the purpose of having such scheme which may deprive those who are really genuinely P&R user but could not get a lot.

They just want to collect more money since carpark rates are going up in Dec.
I used to park & ride before taking the bus to CBD.
Most of time, I could not get the season PnR at the carpark at Telok Blangah.
Definitely not under-utilised as the demand is more than supply.

During peak hours, there's the traffic jam. mrt, when it's working is probably much faster.

Unless he can't bear standing throughout the journey, then nothing to say.

As for families, you can always take taxi, when needed.

There are alternatives, but if you still insist on having and keeping a car, it's going to be costly.

Everyday you keep your car, whether it's moving or not, is costing you money in terms of depreciation, COE, etc.

Bus number 5 goes from Tampines to Novena. I took this bus during my licenseless period. [:p] It is double decker and travels on PIE. Sure got seat and enjoy the scenery.

They just want to collect more money since carpark rates are going up in Dec.

I used to park & ride before taking the bus to CBD.

Most of time, I could not get the season PnR at the carpark at Telok Blangah.

Definitely not under-utilised as the demand is more than supply.

Maybe majority of P&R are under-utilised, even though a few are popular is not sufficient to justify their cost? Lol. Now they have already took out those free parking after 5pm liao, think left not many. So now they are planning to axe the P&R scheme also?! Looks like they are slowly taking out all those cheap parking choices.

Edited by 13177
  • Praise 1

Maybe majority of P&R are under-utilised, even though a few are popular is not sufficient to justify their cost? Lol. Now they have already took out those free parking after 5pm liao, think left not many. So now they are planning to axe the P&R scheme also?! Looks like they are slowly taking out all those cheap parking choices.

My guess is that P&R is not in line with car lite strategy. They want 0 usage of car, not drive until city fringe then use MRT...

My guess is that P&R is not in line with car lite strategy. They want 0 usage of car, not drive until city fringe then use MRT...

0 car usage? Better off without a car. I see those OPC in the same parking lot from mon to Fri. Such a waste, with fixed costs like season parking, Rd tax, insurance taking up do much cost

Bus number 5 goes from Tampines to Novena. I took this bus during my licenseless period. [:p] It is double decker and travels on PIE. Sure got seat and enjoy the scenery.

That's even better.

Just go upstairs where those "entitled" priority seaters don't disturb you.

Get a seat, even a nap, and you wake up refreshed from the journey to start your work.

All cheap cheap without worrying about parking, payment, etc.

• Praise 1

It depends on how much they believe in their own statement.

"The Park and Ride scheme provides a cheaper and faster way for motorists to get to the city, by offering season parking rates at selected HDB/URA car parks."

By scrapping it entirely, they will hurt those who are using it correctly.

If they scrap it, it only means they are looking for more ways to maximise their revenue.

If they have that supposed mission in their head, the reasonable outcome is to study which carparks are the one being abused the most and stop PnR there.

In any case, I have stopped using it and just buy a season parking outright.

That's even better.

Just go upstairs where those "entitled" priority seaters don't disturb you.

Get a seat, even a nap, and you wake up refreshed from the journey to start your work.

All cheap cheap without worrying about parking, payment, etc.

Nowadays bus seats no longer comfortable... too hard on the new buses. The cushion is so thin. Good old SBS buses were more comfortable

Three years back when my office was in Tanjong Pagar, i was staying at Springleaf Estate.

My parents house was very ulu and must walk like 15mins up a hill to get home. I always drove the car to Blk 925 Yishun and take a train down to work. It really helped me saved quite a fair bit and also i dont have to climb that little hill to get home.

At $70, the package was good for me. Also the carpark was sheltered.

I just feel that authorities should not scrap it.

If they are afraid people will abuse the system, i think just either make the scheme daytime parking or raise the season parking to $50 for day time parking from 7am till 9pm.

Three years back when my office was in Tanjong Pagar, i was staying at Springleaf Estate.

My parents house was very ulu and must walk like 15mins up a hill to get home. I always drove the car to Blk 925 Yishun and take a train down to work. It really helped me saved quite a fair bit and also i dont have to climb that little hill to get home.

At $70, the package was good for me. Also the carpark was sheltered.

I just feel that authorities should not scrap it.

If they are afraid people will abuse the system, i think just either make the scheme daytime parking or raise the season parking to $50 for day time parking from 7am till 9pm.

I think the scheme is already daytime parking. Funny how they suddenly mention the P&R abuse, seems like it's been going on for ages.

↡ Advertisement