McD Hello Kitty is back!!!

Adrianli

Turbocharged
(edited)

Reminds me many years ago people queued up overnight at mac to buy these toys. I know of some people whose house was full of these, but after some time, they gave them away.

Edited by Ingenius

Hypersonic

HOSEH LIAO! Sure got 2 grown men fight over the farking soft toy cat again. [:p]

The violence that these toys cause in our history during the year 2000, including riots and injuries. Need to standby Ang Chia.

Source: http://infopedia.nl.sg/articles/SIP_458_2005-01-11.html

Timeline

1 Jan : McDonald's began its 40-day promotion of Hello Kitty toys, dressed in wedding costumes of different cultures, with its Extra Value Meals. First fight between a doctor and three others erupted because of the promotion.

2 Jan : First report of long queues totalling about 250, 000 to 300, 000 customers, for the soft toys.

6 Jan : Release of Hello Kitty pair in Malay wedding dress.

13 Jan : Seven people in a queue at the Boon Keng Road outlet were injured when a glass door shattered. The glass door was unable to withstand the weight of those pushing against it. The toys in Korean wedding dress were released.

25 Jan : McDonald's announced that these outlets ceased selling the toys: Singapore Turf Club, Chinatown Point and Clementi, next to the NTUC FairPrice supermarket. Sales at its drive-thrus were already stopped.

More than 130 security personnel were hired by McDonald's to patrol its outlets.

27 Jan : Six people were arrested. Three men arrested at the Bangkit Road outlet for rioting. Three other men arrested for disorderly conduct at the Bedok Reservoir, Lion City Hotel and Lot 1 Shopper's Mall outlets. The toys in Japanese wedding dress were released.

28 Jan : 64 more Cisco guards were added to control unruly crowd behaviour at 24 McDonald's outlets.

1 Feb : McDonald's began a new voucher system for the toys. Vouchers were sold to those who wanted to buy the Chinese pair. Customers could buy as many vouchers and collect the dolls in July when announced by McDonald's. The announcement came with a public apology and a $1 redeemable voucher against any McDonald's purchase.

Supersonic

Reminds me many years ago people queued up overnight at mac to buy these toys. I know of some people whose house was full of these, but after some time, they gave them away.

I saw some of these toys at salvation army store! :blink:

Turbocharged
(edited)

I saw some of these toys at salvation army store! :blink:

during the craze then, one hello kitty toy can fetch like few hundred dollars even up to $888 (if i remember correctly), and last time money was big hor. [:)] i thnk nowadays with toys aplenty and whataver, i doubt hello kitty has any attraction liao la.

Edited by Ingenius

Lets just wait for the first fight news and post here. [laugh]

Damn, wifey just sms say tonight eat McD. <_< I will reject her suggestion and substitute with mine. :D

Turbocharged

So will we be expecting the craze again??? It starts today!!! [:p]

We, who are old enough to remember it (the first craze) [laugh]

Was it like more than 10 years ago??

I think it will be worse nowadays, the reaction of people collecting these items.

More than 10 years ago, when people were more courteous and polite, and less overcrowded than today - there were already fights over the kittys...

Fast-forward to today's more badly-behaved public... can we expect worse??

Lets just wait for the first fight news and post here. [laugh]

Damn, wifey just sms say tonight eat McD. <_< I will reject her suggestion and substitute with mine. :D

Haha..i just whatsapp my wife say no need bring dinner back..i gg buy McD..whole family eat McD for dinner once a week.. [laugh]

We, who are old enough to remember it (the first craze) [laugh]

Was it like more than 10 years ago??

I think it will be worse nowadays, the reaction of people collecting these items.

More than 10 years ago, when people were more courteous and polite, and less overcrowded than today - there were already fights over the kittys...

Fast-forward to today's more badly-behaved public... can we expect worse??

i can still remember back then my colleague snuck out from office to queue up for his gf. can you imagine if STOMP and Youtube are available back then? there definitely will be so much more reality drama!

Waste time, waste money, buy back also collect dust

ya lor. waste money, buy cos everyone buying...then just put one corner n become WHITE ELEPHANT.

I remember people threw the uneaten meals in the bins just for these Kitties. :blink:

Same size as the last time one? [:/] But i find the black hello kitty very weird, cause how come hello kitty got black colour? :blink:

Radiated.

ya lor. waste money, buy cos everyone buying...then just put one corner n become WHITE ELEPHANT.

Buy car better. At least can arrive in comfort and contribute to congestion. Buy cat, contribute to anger, food wastage. [:p]

↡ Advertisement