How much is too much power for street?

Strudel-

How much is too much power for street?  

198 members have voted

1. 1. How much is too much power for street?

• < 100whp
    • 100whp to 199whp
    • 200whp to 299whp
    • 300whp to 399whp
    • 400whp to 499whp
    • 500whp to 600whp
    • > 600whp

Looks like a lot of people are in the opinion of the more the better even though its for street.

And as asked before, its quite interesting to see how many of those voted actually knows how a 500hp car feels like. Either that or MCF forumers are all rich! [laugh]

For me, it is definitely more better than less. Nowadays, cars are very heavy.

In addition, i can anytime smoke all those bloody road hogger.

↡ Advertisement

(edited)

as long as enough power to smoke the blue and yellow cabs...is sufficient

Ha ha yes I agree. But again.... I saw a taxi with spoiler yesterday. My wife was commenting: "Look so ugly. Do they need that?" :blink:

Edited by Fourth

The purpose is to know whats does everyone else think. As I said ON the street. Yes if you're rich you can buy a Zonda for all I care but if you dont think theres a limit for street, just vote >600 or dont even bother voting?

However I do agree in ever aspect of the driver being in control of the car. That said I personally think its pointless to have something that powerful on the street. Dedicated track car on the other hand is another story.

Assuming the driver has average skill and a sensible mind:- how about 200hp unless he drives regularly on long trips using open roads, or has to tow something, or take winding uphill roads in a hurry?

If he is skillfully and also sensible, maybe up to 500hp? Anything more maybe the guy has to be a pro racer, or a maniac?! :blink:

That's an outdated thought. Nowadays, it is all about aerodynamic. Otherwise, what's the need of spoiler & rear diffuser?

These things only become useful above 199kmh or there about? [confused]

Another thing regarding the weight of the car:-

Given the same power to weight ratio, and similar suspensions setups etc, a lighter car has the advantage of being more nimble thru the corners, and quicker in shedding its speed before entering them without over-working the brakes ----> these advantages help it cover the distance faster and maybe even less stressful for the driver.

actually i agree with you...its just some ppl take it to simply and assume a few things like heavy is good. i am just pointing out how they are correct that heavy is "better" because of the setup they are facing (non optimized car).

Simply

for a properly optimized car, a lighter car is better (ala F1 cars).

for a ah beng optimized car, a heavier car will probably turn out "better"...cause any of their ah beng modification will not adversely affect the car.

few ppl in singapore would have the proper knowledge to properly mod a light performance car (you have heard a lot of ah beng mods like remove rear seat, remove spare tyre, change bonnet to carbon fibre etc...however the car probably never reach the speeds that would be dangerous for a improperly mod car..eg ever try travelling at 160 and have a speeding bus traveling at 120 zoom pass you in the opposite direction, only inches away.....or coming down a mountain road at a steep incline, taking a tight corner at 100km/hr IN THE RAIN!!!.....in a Merc, as a passenger, i did not even flinch (probably also because its so quiet inside)...but if it was a Vios i would have pee in my pants... this was in Aus btw)

So in some context, heavier car is "better".

..for a car with the Similar power to weight ratio....and one is a lighter car and the other is a heavier car...which is better overall, including handling, shiok factor, comfort, space .......that y heavier conti powerful cars are more popular with the masses.....a lighter car makes too much sacrifice in a lot of comfort things...

as for heavy passengers....you mention optimally setup, i assume firm suspension.....in a 'normal' car, with soft suspensions a heavy guys makes a lot of difference. 3 of us big guys actually managed to 'push' a mate's car so low (forgot the model, was a small hatch back), its hit the bottom when going over humps. Front of the car is visibly tilting up. Parking also scrap exhaust.

I once managed to pack 9 ppl in a Volvo 740 (it was late, nobody had $$ for taxi, this was Aus BTW)....the car drives with no issues at all.....

So different type cars is better in many ways...just some ppl was explaining in many terms. For your setup, its clear a lighter car is way better (its obvious cornering is a big car's weakness and small car strength). The ONLY time where a heavier/bigger car MAYBE better is cornering is the bigger rims (thus wider tyres) it can take... not all small cars can take larger or wider rim... HECK if you are unwilling to upsize ur 14 or 15 inch, you cant even get a Ultra Performance tyre. As of now, a best tyre for an Altis 15 inch is XM2 or CPC5!!!!!! a far cry from PSS or CSC5...

(edited)

Hehehe.... To me sports cars are Ferraris, Lambo, NSX, SUPRA, GTR etc.

Well, in case you're not aware, the NSX has less than 300hp (at the crank), and the Supra has less than 350hp. Those are stock figures, mods don't count.

No offence, but refusing to call a car a sports car simply because it has less than 500hp is quite ridiculous. Almost no real car enthusiast would agree with you. I don't think you're really *that* much into cars, are you?

There are many performance sedans with even more than 500hp that don't deserve to be called sports cars (although they go like stink). But there are *tons* of sports car that have less than 500hp, yet are *universally* (minus you, apparently) acknowledged as sports cars.

Just saying is all...

Edited by Turboflat4

Well, in case you're not aware, the NSX has less than 300hp (at the crank), and the Supra has less than 350hp. Those are stock figures, mods don't count.

No offence, but refusing to call a car a sports car simply because it has less than 500hp is quite ridiculous. Almost no real car enthusiast would agree with you. I don't think you're really *that* much into cars, are you?

There are many performance sedans with even more than 500hp that don't deserve to be called sports cars (although they go like stink). But there are *tons* of sports car that have less than 500hp, yet are *universally* (minus you, apparently) acknowledged as sports cars.

Just saying is all...

NSX was designed to fight Ferrari. It has pwr/weight ratio of 1:5. It also has weight/weightbase ratio of 1:0.5. Somemore development input from Aryton Senna. It was the car to die for in the 90s.

I would still like to own 1 now.

With our kind of stop / go traffic, and strict speed limits, I think torque matters more than bhp. And torque has to be available at relatively low RPM, there's no point having the max torque only available above 4500 rpm, most of us do not rev up to that point most of the time. What we need more is the torque to come in at 1500 - 2000 rpm.

That's the key deciding factor when I bought my current ride. I won't be too concern about BHP, because we will not utilise all that power anyway.

NSX was designed to fight Ferrari. It has pwr/weight ratio of 1:5. It also has weight/weightbase ratio of 1:0.5. Somemore development input from Aryton Senna. It was the car to die for in the 90s.

I would still like to own 1 now.

My friend and colleague has one.

U r not wrong , majority of lancer owners r gng for the comestic look in Sg

6 yrs ago, I did a sale of the final drive in slc

70% got from me are gen2 rest cs3

Alot enquiries from cs3 but when they heard the price, they rather spend on intake, spoiler bodykit

Many on spoiler, do they touch that speed to use the spoiler???

My cs3 hit close to top speed with out any bodykit n spoiler

Even agent spoiler I too tear it off

I like empty look

Hahaha

Not only lancer I see going for cosmetic mods, but also impreza.. Mod til exos very loud. Sometimes, I hear loud cars, turn and see, is just normal bnb cars with modded exos. Well, long as the owner is happy.

Hmm, if come with spoiler as part of the car, then ok lor, but if spend money just for cosmetic.. Still don't understand, maybe next time then will..

No pun intended.

When i was in Sec sch, i already have deep technical discussion with my good friend. In those days, we don't have internet.

Different people different likes. Sec sch, mostly I had discussions about Star Wars, Animorphs, and pretty girls.. Haha..

give a safe driver a 600whp car and he wont crash.

give a reckless driver a chery qq and he will crash

Ha ha yes I agree. But again.... I saw a taxi with spoiler yesterday. My wife was commenting: "Look so ugly. Do they need that?" :blink:

imo, spoiler is a must in JDMs

no matter that size, its a must have

dun really like those high GT wings, last time SIR fixed one not so high also but going at 160 like the chicken wing wanna fly off liow.

no choice remove it for safety reasons.

Just saying is all...

Very true. To me I think its the styling and power to weight ratio. Styling from factory not aftermarket body kits....

dun really like those high GT wings, last time SIR fixed one not so high also but going at 160 like the chicken wing wanna fly off liow.

no choice remove it for safety reasons.

never install properly? If installed properly it should be pressing down rather than trying to fly off...

hmm..

Super car= Lambo, Ferrari, Bugatti, Zonda, etc

Sport car= AMG C63, BMW M series, Nissan GTR or any V8 super series (some may classified super car)

High Performance= EVO, REX, FOCUS ST or any WRC car

Normal Road- 200WHP 350NM

Singapore Expressway- 300WHP 500 NM

↡ Advertisement