Rat race starts for 18 mth old babies with formal guidelines

Subutai

What do you think?

Channelnewsasia article

--------------------

New learning guidelines to be introduced for young children

By the end of this year, there will be a formal set of developmental and curriculum guidelines for children aged between 18 months and six years.

Acting Minister for Social and Family Development Chan Chun Sing revealed this in an exclusive Singapore Tonight interview.

The guidelines will not only help parents get their children to learn at a pace suited to their age but also benchmark the childcare sector.

With different operators offering a diverse range of programmes, parents shopping for their child's development programmme are sometimes at a loss. Experts have said the key lies in choosing programmes that are

↡ Advertisement

What do you think?

Channelnewsasia article

--------------------

New learning guidelines to be introduced for young children

By the end of this year, there will be a formal set of developmental and curriculum guidelines for children aged between 18 months and six years.

Acting Minister for Social and Family Development Chan Chun Sing revealed this in an exclusive Singapore Tonight interview.

The guidelines will not only help parents get their children to learn at a pace suited to their age but also benchmark the childcare sector.

With different operators offering a diverse range of programmes, parents shopping for their child's development programmme are sometimes at a loss. Experts have said the key lies in choosing programmes that are

On the contrary I think it's better dan the kiasu parents trying stuff too much info that is not required into their children's brains. It also prevents child care centres from ripping parents off. At least some kinda of benchmark for learning is in place and some control over child care operators.

is like having normal and express stream from 18 months onwards......

next time join primary school... must take test like PSLE...

knn....

See lar, say one thing do another thing.

Say parents are the one stress their children. Say school never ask you guy go for tuition. Say no need tuition, school is enough.

Now ?????

See lar, say one thing do another thing.

Say parents are the one stress their children. Say school never ask you guy go for tuition. Say no need tuition, school is enough.

Now ?????

thought PM just told all the students to play more and do less homework this holiday? [laugh] [laugh]

thought PM just told all the students to play more and do less homework this holiday? [laugh] [laugh]

He also say to get off work early and spent time with family, Saturday spend time with family blah blah blah.....but I still find myself working late & working on Saturdays. What to do?

If we dun send our kids to those classes, we are afraid that they will not catch up with the classes once they are enrolled.

more to building their early childhood skills to cope with it. if not they will again import FT babies.

Neutral Newbie

Let us speculate, what will be next ?????

1. Start child mental development while in mother's womb ??

2. Start child athletics development when "it" is still in father's ball. ??

Brudder, all this is just to 'pian qian' one lah...all the prenatal music bullsheet and early development is just conjob. If your child suay suay tio low IQ nothing will help one what.

Brudder, all this is just to 'pian qian' one lah...all the prenatal music bullsheet and early development is just conjob. If your child suay suay tio low IQ nothing will help one what.

maybe next time they will have exam for 1 year old baby.

if you fail, you are demoted to become a slave, and if you pass, you are promoted to be part of the elite or MIW.

WAH SIAO LIAO. Lucky my kids no longer in this bloody crazy rat race for small kids...nowsadays damn stress for all the children man. But i went to Sweden once and the education system for kids there is damn good man. Dun overstress the child and let them imagine and create. Here in SG is chiong alphabet at 12 mths, chiong 10+10 by 2 yrs old, and then master multiplication by 6. farked up man. :wacko:

(edited)

The crux lies in getting qualified teachers/trainers to conduct the enrichment programs. Not some ah mao / ah kao people to teach. My boy is attending right brain training. Other than a 50 mins lesson per week, the rest of the training which is done at home is not more than 20 mins a day, 4 days a week. How taxing is that? Rest of the time, he is free to do anything he wants. Sat and Sun are family days so no school work. We will go to parks where he can scoot around or kick some balls.

The reason why kids are getting burnt out and tired is because parents do not perform due diligence when signing their kids up for enrichment. Heard from friend A this program is good, okay, go sign up. Heard from friend B that course is good, okay sign up again. Packing their free time with all these activities will not make him/her a genius. The emphasis should be quality instructions and most importantly, what's the motive for signing them up for classes.

eg: I have a few colleagues who complained that their kids (2-3 yos) have problem focusing on doing certain task. So they are thinking of signing them up for some courses to help them focus. When I probed further, I found out what was the cause.

During meal times, their kids are either watching TV while eating or playing with iphones/ipads. Some even run around and the caregiver had to chase after them with the food. And all of them feed their kid to save time and for convenience. It's no wonder they have problems focusing. I told them they should let the kid eat by themselves. Yes, it will be slow and messy but it helps them improve their motorskills. Practising to hold a spoon helps with writing. Also, take away the TV and other gadgets. How are the kids going to focus on eating when there are so much distractions.

They were surprised that little things like these are often overlooked and is usually the cause of behavioural problems in toddlers.

Too often, parents perceived these enrichment courses as a quick fix-it-all solution for the problems their kids are having.

Edited by Altivo

Let us speculate, what will be next ?????

2. Start child athletics development when "it" is still in father's ball. ??

I already did that last time

Got my wife to communicate with "it" while in the ball

she usually use the mike