• Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
68 replies to this topic | 5 praises

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:51 PM

Ahseng
  • Premium member
    Ahseng
    5th Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Hi guys, heard from an old friend that says new car once on the road already -20% liao. So i take it that he meant 20% depreciation in the first year.

Maybe is this why people always say the first 2 to 3 years the first owner bears the brunt of the steep depreciation?

Is this assumption near reality?
1st yr : 20% depreciation

2nd year: 10% dep

3rd year : 10% dep

rest of the 7 years divide equally the remaining value.

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:55 PM

Angcheek
  • Premium member
    Angcheek
    2Fast2Furious
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

some will be 30% for first yr.

Most dealer will not take in your car if they cant get good discount from owner and high penalty for selling off car during 1st year. Most buyer will prefer to buy new instead of 2nd hand if the price is not attractive

Edited by Angcheek, 12 June 2013 - 10:56 PM.

樹多總有枯枝,人多總有白痴

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:55 PM

BlueOldMan
  • BlueOldMan
    6th Gear
    Author Image

Not really black n white 20% ba but cfm is first owner most shiong la
But this is history
Now car pricing so crazy
Some used car owner now maybe higher dep per year than that car first owner
Hahaha Sg boleh too

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:09 PM

Roadrunner2029
  • Roadrunner2029
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Just like buying gold and diamonds, the moment you walk out of the shop, you lose the value equivalent to the dealer's profits. In SG, the profit margin has a wide range between makes, ...

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:11 PM

Ahseng
  • Premium member
    Ahseng
    5th Gear
    Author Image

so can use this formula to get current used car pricing? oneSXXXX.com has pricing history of cars.

Edited by Ahseng, 12 June 2013 - 11:11 PM.

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:20 PM

Budgetice
  • Budgetice
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

Got one grp make.. Those coe very low ones
be thankful... and life will be beautiful

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:17 AM

Chucky2007
  • Premium member
    Chucky2007
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Hi guys, heard from an old friend that says new car once on the road already -20% liao. So i take it that he meant 20% depreciation in the first year.

Maybe is this why people always say the first 2 to 3 years the first owner bears the brunt of the steep depreciation?

mainly due to dealers profit.. When u buy a car, it's omv+ARF+GST+COE+dealer profit..

When sell the car after one year, it's scrap value at that point in time+some additional value..

有❤️就好👌
多做少说,多听👂少讲
做人吃点亏,莫占人便宜

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:26 AM

Hydrocarbon
  • Hydrocarbon
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

mainly due to dealers profit.. When u buy a car, it's omv+ARF+GST+COE+dealer profit..

When sell the car after one year, it's scrap value at that point in time+some additional value..

Ya! Always wondered why the initial depre so high, but forgot to count dealer profit. Which can be quite a lot.. huh.gif
吃别人所不能吃的苦,忍别人所不能忍的气,做别人所不能做的事,
就能享受别人所不能享受的一切.

Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:38 AM

Pisces69
  • Premium member
    Pisces69
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

It also depends now with COE.

If u buy car today at COE $80K and next month COE drop to $20K....U can b sure yr 1st MONTH depreciation is going to b more than 20% let alone 1st YEAR.
Tigershark1976 praised this

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:14 AM

Ixus75
  • Premium member
    Ixus75
    1st Gear
    Author Image

Also depends brand of car. Some brands have poor resale value.

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:24 AM

Solar
  • Premium member
    Solar
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

imo, it depends the timing (eg. coe price)

i bought my 1 year old car 2nd-hand. coe was around 35k.
1 year later (2yr plus old), coe around 6xk, the resale price actually stayed.
if i try to sell, i won't make a loss, ie. i get to drive my car free for a year.

similar for new cars.
if after you bought the car, the coe chiong up the roof, your depreciation for that year (the time you sell) won't be that high.

Edited by Solar, 13 June 2013 - 08:25 AM.

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:28 AM

RadX
  • Premium member
    RadX
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

for me i made when i sold the porsche....$15k....cos of the creeping COE. Good dah, drive for free n make profit summore

oni in sg laugh.gif laugh.gif

RESPECT is only for the DEAD!

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:33 AM

Ahseng
  • Premium member
    Ahseng
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Hmm so it means that whatever way we comeup with to findafair value it will not work because dealers peg the value to new coe prices (godamn high). Like that hard to bargain the price down.

imo, it depends the timing (eg. coe price)

i bought my 1 year old car 2nd-hand. coe was around 35k.
1 year later (2yr plus old), coe around 6xk, the resale price actually stayed.
if i try to sell, i won't make a loss, ie. i get to drive my car free for a year.

similar for new cars.
if after you bought the car, the coe chiong up the roof, your depreciation for that year (the time you sell) won't be that high.

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:45 AM

Wt_know
  • Wt_know
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

yeah, it's all depends on coe aka new car price

ie: new car price = $200K, if new car price drop to $170K or move up to $230K ... x/y/z also move in tandem
1yr old car = $x
2yr old car = $y
3yr old car = $z

owner with low coe will not sell/trade-in their car cheaply if new car price is sky high
owner with high coe is not able to sell their car because of low new car price will either cut loss or die die continue to drive the car

uniquely singapore. in the rest of the world, budget constraint go for used car.
in singapore, go for used car but the price is pegged with "current coe" aka the new car price

Hmm so it means that whatever way we comeup with to findafair value it will not work because dealers peg the value to new coe prices (godamn high). Like that hard to bargain the price down.

Edited by Wt_know, 13 June 2013 - 08:50 AM.

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:53 AM

Ixus75
  • Premium member
    Ixus75
    1st Gear
    Author Image

Nowadays, dealers take in car at near paper value. I believe there is room for negotiation.

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:04 AM

Solar
  • Premium member
    Solar
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

for me i made when i sold the porsche....$15k....cos of the creeping COE. Good dah, drive for free n make profit summore

oni in sg laugh.gif laugh.gif

ya.. must be lucky and able to time zun zun.. seems like buying property laugh.gif

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:04 AM

RadX
  • Premium member
    RadX
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

ya.. must be lucky and able to time zun zun.. seems like buying property laugh.gif

flipping. It worked for the next car and then after that CM lai liao...sian tongue.gif

RESPECT is only for the DEAD!

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:07 AM

Atrecord
  • Premium member
    Atrecord
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Just bear in mind that for new cars, price is made up from

OMV + ARF + reg fee + excise duty + COE + dealer mark-up

All used car prices are supported by a base line, which is the scrap value. Add to this the perceived value of the car by the market and you get the resale value/price. Once out of the showroom, what happens to this value is:

1) COE: ok, since it's pro-rated by govt, dependent on time used. Value won't drop disproportionately
2) PARF rebate (which is the equivalent of OMV + ARF + reg fee + excise duty when new): is attractive only from 5th year of ownership onwards. Any car newer than 5 yr, will get same PARF as a 5-yr old car
3) dealer mark-up: for sure gone, when you're selling

So once a car is bought, the big impact during the first few years is from #2-3. Loss of 20-30% should not be uncommon.

I bought a nissan sunny at $74K when new years ago. When i sold it off at market value abt 2.5 yr later, i lost 34% of the original price...

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:14 AM

Solar
  • Premium member
    Solar
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

not really fair value in sg...

not long ago, a 1yr old merc c180k was selling cheaper than a new honda civic.
how can it be fair? only compare the market value during the same period. ie. 2 civics what price, what condition, what year, then decide if you wanna buy or wait.

you can still bargain down..perhaps knock a couple of k down the advertised price.
it depends on how you do it.. one good way is like finding fault with the car loh... laugh.gif

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:21 AM

Zyklon
  • Premium member
    Zyklon
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Not true. Depends on brand and make plus discount you can get.

I bought a new car at 228k. After 6 months, a dealer wanted to take it in for 226k. No significant change in coe price in that period.

Back to General Car Discussion  ·  Cars Top Reply to this topic
SgCarMart Quotz

Quick Reply

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users