Hub replacement anyone?

Scoots

Hi,

I've been hearing a deep humming sound from my ride recently. I had highlighted this during my last servicing a few weeks back and the AD said something about bearings in the wheel hub being deformed / worn out. Any experts here can help me understand more what that means?

Also, I was quite >$500 for replacement. Anyone here can advise what the cost will be if I go to external workshop for such a job? Any workshop to recommend?

Thanks in advance ... that humming sound is driving me nuts

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Hi,

I've been hearing a deep humming sound from my ride recently. I had highlighted this during my last servicing a few weeks back and the AD said something about bearings in the wheel hub being deformed / worn out. Any experts here can help me understand more what that means?

Also, I was quite >$500 for replacement. Anyone here can advise what the cost will be if I go to external workshop for such a job? Any workshop to recommend?

Most likely only yr wheel bearings worn n need to replace.

Usually abt <$100 per pair or <$50 if only one side worn.

I think workshop is trying to [knife] u.

Go to a couple more honest n reliable workshops n ask them to chk yr wheel bearings n get a quote.

I prefer to specify good quality bearings like SKF, FAG, NTN, etc n never use low quality china made bearings.

Also get bearing seals to ensure they r protected during lifespan.

Hi,

If your car still under warranty, they will replace it foc. i have done mine last month.

• Praise 1

(edited)

Is it a 'Wong-Wong-Wong' sound?

It's the wheel bearings worn out, need to replace.

YES!!! :D

Edited by Scoots

If your car still under warranty, they will replace it foc. i have done mine last month.

Sadly ... mine's a 7 yr old ride already =)

Most likely only yr wheel bearings worn n need to replace.

Usually abt <$100 per pair or <$50 if only one side worn.

I think workshop is trying to [knife] u.

Go to a couple more honest n reliable workshops n ask them to chk yr wheel bearings n get a quote.

I prefer to specify good quality bearings like SKF, FAG, NTN, etc n never use low quality china made bearings.

Also get bearing seals to ensure they r protected during lifespan.

Thanks for the advice. Any tired and tested workshop to recommend?

Thanks for the advice. Any tired and tested workshop to recommend?

Spore I used to use a ws in Yishun Indl Pk A.

If its convenient fr u, let me know. There r also a few good ws recommended by kaki here. Do a search n ty wil pop up.

I usually buy all my own parts from the spareparts shop nearby n get my mechanic to fix n pay him labour only. U can ask mech to supply all parts if u not sure how to buy yr own parts. But it wil cost u slightly more.

One more thing... If u really want a good job, get your bearings well greased b4 installing.

Is it a 'Wong-Wong-Wong' sound?

It's the wheel bearings worn out, need to replace.

Only incompetent lousy mechanics confirms wheel bearings worn by listening to 'Wong Won't Wong' sounds. [laugh]

Spore I used to use a ws in Yishun Indl Pk A.

If its convenient fr u, let me know. There r also a few good ws recommended by kaki here. Do a search n ty wil pop up.

I usually buy all my own parts from the spareparts shop nearby n get my mechanic to fix n pay him labour only. U can ask mech to supply all parts if u not sure how to buy yr own parts. But it wil cost u slightly more.

One more thing... If u really want a good job, get your bearings well greased b4 installing.

Possible ... I work in Woodlands. Can PM me the contact? Thanks

(edited)

Hi,

Just worn wheel bearings. Just regular wear and tear stuff. What you were quoted is about normal for AD prices. It's about $100 + labour outside. Fairly simple (though tedious without a press) job.

Edited by Elfenstar

You can verify yourself, jack up ea wheel n spin the wheel one by one

You will know will bearing worn

And pls change both left n right, u buy from stockist oso come in a pair

For my Subaru the part cost 20+, labour 100

For my bil fit part cost 100, labour 20

I scratch head

• Praise 1

Hi,

Bearings worn like the bros mentioned. Not sure about your Altis, but for my kimchi ride, the bearing for the rear wheels are not sold as a "standalone" part. It is sold together with the hub as a single part number. So you need to know if the price you have been quoted is for 1 wheel or 2, for the bearings only or together with the hub.

fyi, my kimchi ride's front bearing is about $30 a pc...rear bearing with hub is about $130 each. So you do the math [thumbsup]

• Praise 1

(edited)

You can verify yourself, jack up ea wheel n spin the wheel one by one

You will know will bearing worn

And pls change both left n right, u buy from stockist oso come in a pair

For my Subaru the part cost 20+, labour 100

For my bil fit part cost 100, labour 20

I scratch head

Haha... I think for the "part" that's $20+ that's the ball bearing alone. For the "part" that cost $100 it comes as an assembly, the ball bearing housing and the ball bearing.

Some mechanics buy the ball bearing from shops that sell them not from stockists. They use back the bearing housing, use a hydraulic press to press out the old bearing and replace it with a new one. More man hours put into the job hence higher labour cost.

There are ppl who insist on using original parts, they will cost more as it comes with the housing asembly. Easier & shorter time to replace, less labour cost.

It depends. Some ppl feel that original parts they know it is reliable and roughly know how long it will last. Buying from ball bearing shops...there are many brands to choose from. Some Japanese brand ball bearings are made in M'sia. And they are generally cheaper. Up to car owner to choose.

FYI The front wheel ball bearings will generally last longer dan the rear wheel's. I think the quality is better. In this case you might want to use original parts.

Edited by Watwheels

I only buy parts myself from stockist only trust original jeepun parts

Subaru yup it's bearing only cos need to take out wheel n change from rear of wheel hub

Labour intensive

For that fit, it comes with the hub yup u r rite n simple changing jys from front side of wheel so labour 20 cheeap cheap

Fair n sq change both sides any ride oso 100+ only

500 [knife]

I only buy parts myself from stockist only trust original jeepun parts

Subaru yup it's bearing only cos need to take out wheel n change from rear of wheel hub

Labour intensive

For that fit, it comes with the hub yup u r rite n simple changing jys from front side of wheel so labour 20 cheeap cheap

Fair n sq change both sides any ride oso 100+ only

500 [knife]

He's driving a Jag. :D

↡ Advertisement