Please ensure your head+tail+brake lights are working!

Sg2303

Dear fellow drivers,

As our vehicles age, due to high COE + due to 40% DP required + etc, please ensure that your tail lights and at least 2 of your your brake lights are working!

Just these few days alone, I have come across more than 10 cars with 2 or ALL brake lights not working. I have already tried my best to inform these drivers when we stopped along side at junctions. But there is only so much I can do.

Please, check your brake lights.

This is how you can check your tail lights and brake lights by yourself if you have no one else to check for you.

1) When reverse-parked in front of a wall, off your lights and observe the wall behind. Switch on your headlights and check your side mirrors. The 2 corners of your car rear should have red light casted on the wall. To check your brake lights, switch off your headlights. Step on the brake and check the side mirrors to see there is red light casted on the wall.

2) When stopped in front of buses (and some big lorries/truck), check your rearview mirror and look at the reflection of your car rear on the windscreen of the bus behind. You can see if your brake lights are working.

Please ensure your tail lights and brake lights are working.

This is for your safety and for others safety as well!

Good advice. For me, I always check my brake lights whenever I'm in front of those shiny SBS buses. If not, can always press the pedal with an umbrella and see for yourself.

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

hais, some people out there is really just have the heck-care attitude. Because they really know nuts about cars, to them its just a transport from point a to b.... hence whatever light failure or rusty breaks dented body works and such, they really dont bother at all... seen a lot of these cars on the road before...

anyway, i always do the same things like what the ts said! reverse-parked and check the red light on wall [thumbsup]

Hi guys,

the altis optitron meter does get brighter when lights completely off. It gets duller when lights on. Quite obvious.

ya seen many big trucks and lorries and pickups without rear lights at all, even at night.

some cars have one headlight only, must be new design. :-)

quite a number, scary during heavy haze a while back.

thanks for the pointers sg2303. Helpful chap.

wonder if cops not allowed to disrupt heavy construction?

cement mixer with rear lights that do not work. Seen a few too often recently at fort road ecp.

Neutral Newbie

Encounter 1 white Hyundai Avante on CTE with all brake lights not working. Lucky there was a safe distance if not I will have bang into it when it brake hard on highway without brake lights !!!

Now car is expensive. .. insurance also expensive.

Life is too precious to be trade with the value of 2 brake lights...

Keep your car in good condition. And drive within safe distance. [thumbsup]

Like those who turns on their useless-in-sg foglights but only 1 side working. [laugh]

you mean rear fogs? some cars only got one

Neutral Newbie

This morning saw a Black Carens, with curtains hanging at the rear windscreen, but all brake lights not working. Thankfully, the traffic was slow moving.

[wave]

Not so long one, i owned e class before so i know that follow me home light.

But this one for overnight still on one side. If follow me home light both light on

Ermm.. the one side light is the parking lights that the driver can choose to on either left or right. This is a feature where when u are parallel parked, you can on that light either left or right so that in dark areas.. cars know that there is a car parked there. If really forgot to turn off headlamp.. the hold dashboard will flash red warning you once u open the driver door to get out.

And also for e-class.. and most conti make. Any lights that is not working.. the car computer will tell u... e.g Check Left license plate light, check rear left indicator, inner left head lamp dim... etc. If you encounter a e class with blown lights.. this mean the driver bo chup, or just found out.

Edited by Bomby929

Ermm.. the one side light is the parking lights that the driver can choose to on either left or right. This is a feature where when u are parallel parked, you can on that light either left or right so that in dark areas.. cars know that there is a car parked there. If really forgot to turn off headlamp.. the hold dashboard will flash red warning you once u open the driver door to get out.

And also for e-class.. and most conti make. Any lights that is not working.. the car computer will tell u... e.g Check Left license plate light, check rear left indicator, inner left head lamp dim... etc. If you encounter a e class with blown lights.. this mean the driver bo chup, or just found out.

LOL

now everytime i enter my car the car will always remind me my front right parking lamp spoilt

Problem is, many singapore drivers think mechanic will check for them.

Mechanic bo chap thinking drivers should check themselve.

die lor.. no one check..

• Praise 1

die lor.. no one check..

ahhh... assumptions... mother of all failures~!

die lor.. no one check..

errr i think it is in our basic theory that we need to do a routine check for ourselves... nobody is following it?

Supercharged

errr i think it is in our basic theory that we need to do a routine check for ourselves... nobody is following it?

apparently no.

seen a lot of cars with faulty lights. and there is nothing we can do about it.

or is there? :huh:

Supersonic

The problem with brake light is that it's difficult to check by oneself.

You can turn on your hazard lights, walk around the car and check all the signal lights, but you can't do the same with brake lights.

What I do is to move the alarm flashing the signal light to flashing the brake lights. So you can just push your lock/unlock button and watch the brake lights.

(edited)

You can turn on your hazard lights, walk around the car and check all the signal lights, but you can't do the same with brake lights.

What I do is to move the alarm flashing the signal light to flashing the brake lights. So you can just push your lock/unlock button and watch the brake lights.

this is how i do... park close to a white wall, tap on foot brake... all 3 light reflect! all ok!

but now i ask me wife check wahaha :X

Edited by Devilcup
  • Praise 1

Not really, I shared how to check tail/brake lights in my post earlier

This is how you can check your tail lights and brake lights by yourself if you have no one else to check for you.

1) When reverse-parked in front of a wall, off your lights and observe the wall behind. Switch on your headlights and check your side mirrors. The 2 corners of your car rear should have red light casted on the wall. To check your brake lights, switch off your headlights. Step on the brake and check the side mirrors to see there is red light casted on the wall.

2) When stopped in front of buses (and some big lorries/truck), check your rearview mirror and look at the reflection of your car rear on the windscreen of the bus behind. You can see if your brake lights are working.

The other day, I stopped alongside a car at the traffic light and gestured for the driver to wind down the windows. Then I proceeded to inform her that 2 of her brake lights were not working.

She seemed to be in a daze and replied,"Oh.... which ones har?" [sweatdrop]

I just smiled at her and drove off as the lights turned green.

Does it really matter to her which lights were not working?? [hur]

Hypersonic

this is how i do... park close to a white wall, tap on foot brake... all 3 light reflect! all ok!

but now i ask me wife check wahaha :X

Sama sama here :)

Changed both brake lights bulbs, left and right, one week apart. $5/- each... heartpain.

But just felt that it is right to change, cos will affect and endanger myself as well as other users on road.

be safe, rather than sorry.

↡ Advertisement