Hypersonic

Taken the course twice in the last 3 years, ya probably need refresher yearly

should be easier with aed than without

U sound very pro ð

i google one
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

(edited)

I have been taking the first aider course since 1997. Every time I go for the course, they changed or rather improved on the CPR procedure.

Last time before chest compression commence, must give two breaths first. The last course I attended, they say no need liao. Immediately start chest compressions after the ABC checks. And nowadays, must find AED to assist.

Using the AED = must stop chest compression to prepare the body for AED patch. Esp if the person has a hairy chest. Must help him shave his chest where the AED pad is supposed to be sticked. [laugh]

Thou been trained since 1997, never performed CPR on any person before. Give first aid assistance, yes. My license expired last year, dont intend to continue to be re-certified.

Oh ya, forgot to mention. If performing CPR on a female, it is loosen the bra only. Not remove the bra and expose the boobs!!! Will kena sue. For AED application, the instructors say move the bra strap aside only. Dont go and kay kiang expose the female breast. [laugh]

Edited by Adrianli

(edited)

I think the tricky part is to gauge how much strength to use for the compression to ppl like toddler, elderly and pregnant women(think swollen mammaries).

I recall during my NSF days we had a one day course to practice on dummies. So we get to ask silly questions like the above. LoL...

Last thing we want to do is to break a tailbone on the ribcage or hurt the ribcage coz it will be very painful.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 1

No time to think really. Got do is better than don't do. If nobody do then time ticks away. In a matter of minutes the victim dies and death is irreversible. But other injuries can fix.

No leh. Our instructor said it's important to think it thru and make sure it's done correctly rather dan further adding injury to the person you are trying to save.

To be honest I have no experience saving a person using cpr. I also think must remain calm to do it coz in panick mode it may do more harm dan good. Life and death is not up to me really. I trying to help is better dan stand there and no help.

I don't know if your instructor have met with a real situation or not. In my experience, I was first shocked, most other people just standing around, then I asked someone to call for help. I guess this is normal because everyone is not sure, like me also not sure. When I was about to start doing CPR, at this moment another person jumped in to help. Can't even remember how many compression or how deep, I think she did her version of CPR I did my version of CPR. We performed CPR for probably 10 minutes or likely more than that before a medical team arrives. They take over, ask a few questions then we leave. That's it. No time to check certificate or read notes. Life goes on, and don't know what happen after.

A few things I just remember like make sure (1) it's flat surface, (2) position your body upright towards the victim, (3) press about 2in down (4) 2 fingers above solar plexus. That's it. 

Had a woman fainted and fell to the ground right in front of me. Immediately I made sure she lay flat on the ground. And then commence checking ABC. She was still breathing and had weak pulse. So I just called my colleagues who were with me to call for help. Didnt need CPR.

Medic came, access her and realised she fainted due to heat exhaustion. So lucky me, my training kicked in and not any how perform CPR. Not everyone fainted on the ground needs CPR. [laugh]

• Praise 3

ya...dun anyhow do..skali alive, you kill the bugga hahah

Rescued 3 ppl in my years and yes, regardless of what or who, Lives come first.

More importantly, ensure your OWN SAFETY...

• Praise 2

Hypersonic

Recertified or not just do it in times of emergency. Most importantly don't just stand around, make sure someone call ambulance the very first moment. Then go ahead with the CPR that you know. Matter of life and death, nobody will ask to check your certificate.

if the victim got visible cold sores on the lips, will you hesitate to commence cpr?

[:p]  :D

I have been taking the first aider course since 1997. Every time I go for the course, they changed or rather improved on the CPR procedure.

Last time before chest compression commence, must give two breaths first. The last course I attended, they say no need liao. Immediately start chest compressions after the ABC checks. And nowadays, must find AED to assist.

Using the AED = must stop chest compression to prepare the body for AED patch. Esp if the person has a hairy chest. Must help him shave his chest where the AED pad is supposed to be sticked. [laugh]

Thou been trained since 1997, never performed CPR on any person before. Give first aid assistance, yes. My license expired last year, dont intend to continue to be re-certified.

Oh ya, forgot to mention. If performing CPR on a female, it is loosen the bra only. Not remove the bra and expose the boobs!!! Will kena sue. For AED application, the instructors say move the bra strap aside only. Dont go and kay kiang expose the female breast. [laugh]

instructor of course must tell you cannot remove bra, cannot cup breast, yadda yadda during training

if you really cannot find the spot for chest compression, you wont remove the bra meh?

if your wrist not strong enough, you wont cup the breast meh?

[sly]  :D

(edited)

if the victim got visible cold sores on the lips, will you hesitate to commence cpr?

Nowadays, they teach, just do chest compressions. No need kiss liao if you dont feel like doing it.

The AED box will come with such protective sheets for mouth to mouth.  [laugh]

Edited by Adrianli

instructor of course must tell you cannot remove bra, cannot cup breast, yadda yadda during training

if you really cannot find the spot for chest compression, you wont remove the bra meh?

if your wrist not strong enough, you wont cup the breast meh?

[sly]  :D

think like you ah limpWrist....aka limpbizkit

Hypersonic

I think the tricky part is to gauge how much strength to use for the compression to ppl like toddler, elderly and pregnant women(think swollen mammaries).

I recall during my NSF days we had a one day course to practice on dummies. So we get to ask silly questions like the above. LoL...

Last thing we want to do is to break a tailbone on the ribcage or hurt the ribcage coz it will be very painful.

agree the compression is the most worrisome part of the process

break ribcage still not so bad

later lead to punctured lungs worse

2 in depth compressions are no joke

[sweatdrop]

Nowadays, they teach, just do chest compressions. No need kiss liao if you dont feel like doing it.

The AED box will come with such protective sheets for mouth to mouth.  [laugh]

err....not everywhere got AED box leh

:mellow:

err....not everywhere got AED box leh

:mellow:

If u not comfortable, then dont do mouth to mouth lah just do chest compression.

Anyway, before chest compression, you must do Airway check. Head tilt chin lift, use finger and sweep inside the mouth to check.

Hypersonic

If u not comfortable, then dont do mouth to mouth lah just do chest compression.

Anyway, before chest compression, you must do Airway check. Head tilt chin lift, use finger and sweep inside the mouth to check.

didn't know now no need to do mouth to mouth already

must be those old youtube videos misled me....  :mellow:

what about those cases with heartbeat but no breathing? still no need mouth to mouth?

[confused]  

• Praise 1

didn't know now no need to do mouth to mouth already

must be those old youtube videos misled me....  :mellow:

what about those cases with heartbeat but no breathing? still no need mouth to mouth?

[confused]  

Got heartbeat and no breathing, of course must do mouth to mouth. Its called rescue breathing. Give two breaths and check.

Can use tissue to clean the mouth then do.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1