Over 30 wild animals seized from HDB flat

Mcf777

Turbocharged

This guy tua ki liao.....sure kana fine very heavy.

10 years back, that person who got caught is my friend brother....also kana fine heavily by the AVA.

============================================

SINGAPORE - The Agri-Food and Veterinary Authority (AVA) seized over 30 wild animals from an individual living in an HDB flat on June 3, its largest inland seizure of wildlife since 2002.

The seized animals include highly endangered and threatened species like the slow loris, marmoset, Indian star tortoise and ball python. Other animals seized include three black-tailed prairie dogs, two sailfin dragons and five ornate horned frogs

These animals are not allowed to be kept as pets in Singapore.

The seized animals have been sent to the Wildlife Reserves Singapore for proper care and custody.

A man is currently assisting AVA in the investigations.

In Singapore, a permit is required for any import and export/re-export of animals. In addition, as Singapore is a signatory to the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES), it is an offence to be in possession or to trade in any illegally imported or acquired CITES species. If found guilty, the offender shall be liable, on conviction, to a maximum fine of $50,000 per specimen (not to exceed an aggregate of $500,000) and/or jail term of up to 2 years.

AVA would like to remind the public not to import or keep wild animals as pets as demand for such animals would fuel illegal wildlife trade.

Also, wild animals are not suitable pets as some may transmit zoonotic diseases to humans and can be a public safety risk if mishandled or if they escape into our dense urban environment.

Should members of the public have information on illegal wildlife activities, please contact AVA at 6325 7625 to make a report immediately. All information shared with AVA will be kept strictly confidential.

↡ Advertisement

This guy tua ki liao.....sure kana fine very heavy.

10 years back, that person who got caught is my friend brother....also kana fine heavily by the AVA.

============================================

SINGAPORE - The Agri-Food and Veterinary Authority (AVA) seized over 30 wild animals from an individual living in an HDB flat on June 3, its largest inland seizure of wildlife since 2002.

The seized animals include highly endangered and threatened species like the slow loris, marmoset, Indian star tortoise and ball python. Other animals seized include three black-tailed prairie dogs, two sailfin dragons and five ornate horned frogs

These animals are not allowed to be kept as pets in Singapore.

The seized animals have been sent to the Wildlife Reserves Singapore for proper care and custody.

A man is currently assisting AVA in the investigations.

In Singapore, a permit is required for any import and export/re-export of animals. In addition, as Singapore is a signatory to the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES), it is an offence to be in possession or to trade in any illegally imported or acquired CITES species. If found guilty, the offender shall be liable, on conviction, to a maximum fine of $50,000 per specimen (not to exceed an aggregate of $500,000) and/or jail term of up to 2 years.

AVA would like to remind the public not to import or keep wild animals as pets as demand for such animals would fuel illegal wildlife trade.

Also, wild animals are not suitable pets as some may transmit zoonotic diseases to humans and can be a public safety risk if mishandled or if they escape into our dense urban environment.

Should members of the public have information on illegal wildlife activities, please contact AVA at 6325 7625 to make a report immediately. All information shared with AVA will be kept strictly confidential.

how he smuggle in to SG <_<

Turbocharged

i'm not trying to defend this guy but singapore law can sometimes be ridiculously strict

this cannot and that cannot

some rules are also double standard

the only reptile allowed to be kept as pet is the red ear slider (terrapin).... this one also wild animal mah

wild animals are not suitable pets as some may transmit zoonotic diseases to humans and can be a public safety risk if mishandled or if they escape into our dense urban environment.

amphibians (frogs, toads, newts, etc) are not allowed but u can buy feeder frogs

i'm not trying to defend this guy but singapore law can sometimes be ridiculously strict

the only reptile allowed to be kept as pet is the red ear slider (terrapin).... this one also wild animal mah

wild animals are not suitable pets as some may transmit zoonotic diseases to humans and can be a public safety risk if mishandled or if they escape into our dense urban environment.

amphibians (frogs, toads, newts, etc) are not allowed but u can buy feeder frogs

if everyone can keep wild animals, then SG Zoo & Jurong Bird Park can close shop leow..... [laugh]

i agree we shd be more relaxed for a more interesting life is SG.

life is ridiculously boring here.

other aspects affecting harmony and security stays.

i agree we shd be more relaxed for a more interesting life is SG.

life is ridiculously boring here.

other aspects affecting harmony and security stays.

people already cannot tahan dog barking and cat moaning, if all animal make noise can hear an orchestra playing classic liao [laugh]

Turbocharged

if everyone can keep wild animals, then SG Zoo & Jurong Bird Park can close shop leow..... [laugh]

i'm not suggesting keeping dozens of wild animals lah

i mean some exotic ones like box turtles should be allowed (ok, i'm biased cos i want to keep one [laugh] )

i dun, however, support keeping dangerous animals like pythons, tarantulas, scorpions

i'm not suggesting keeping dozens of wild animals lahi mean some exotic ones like box turtles should be allowed (ok, i'm biased cos i want to keep one [laugh] )

agreed, I like to keep the Indian 'Star' tortoise as pet but AVA says cannot ... [:(]

If the concern is of safety and the possibility of the transmission of disease, I agree with AVA that keeping of those wild animals as pets should be prohibited.

Apart from that, maybe the rules can be relaxed slightly to allow the keeping of some of these exotic creatures.

Turbocharged

i kept fire bellied newts before

really cute amphibians which love to munch frozen blood worms

but also tio ban liao

0874.jpeg

Supercharged

how he smuggle in to SG <_<

Under baskets of vege/fruits in a lorry or container, from Indonesian Navy sailors on port call (remember the cigarette incident?), Indon ferry workers.

Something to note here: they are afraid of animals transmitting disease to humans, but the red eared slider is known to carry salmonella. In fact, sales of turtles under 4 inches in length is banned in the USA. Yet they are sold freely here as tiny hatchlings.

I believed it's a combination of a few concerns such as ability to provide suitable care for the animals concerned, transmission of diseases, treaty regarding the ban in trade endangered species just to name a few.

↡ Advertisement