How many cars would you go out and buy today if COE scrapped

Extremesour

Forget about needs how many would you actually buy?  

131 members have voted

1. 1. How many cars for your family?

• 0 - because i do not need one
    • 1 - just for myself
    • 2 - because my wife and me are professionals
    • 3 or more - because i can afford it
  2. 2. If you and your neighbors all start buying can you find parking?

• Yes
    • No

COE prices have made a lot of people unhappy.

We all want a car and think that COE does not work and controlling usage works better than ownership.

I think we can have a simple poll to see how many people will buy multiple cars and whether they see problem finding parking for their cars. [laugh]

Remember that the OMV of a Jap car is only around $20k.

I'm very happy for existing COE system, at least it makes car still can move on the road, withou COE I will get rid off car, because driving will be slower than "BMW" [:p]

↡ Advertisement

I'm very happy for existing COE system, at least it makes car still can move on the road, withou COE I will get rid off car, because driving will be slower than "BMW" [:p]

Agree with you bro.

Actually I also support the COE quota system but wanted to do a poll since I'm reading that a lot of people are unhappy and wanted it scraped.

I believe controlling ownership is just as important as controlling usage because of the obvious parking and traffic jam problems.

Just cocked up on writing the poll.

Virgin doing polling. [:p]

Turbocharged

There was suggestions to do away with coe and make driving cost solely base on mileage, i.e. dollar per km. Without the coe component, the $ per km wil lhave to be substantially high to make up for the lost revenue form the coe. cars will become much cheaper, e.g. $20k for a b&b car, and many more people will buy cars and some will buy their second or third car for whatever reasons. now, if that drive to orchard road is going to cost like $30 or $50 per trip, will you want to drive your cheap car ? mostl likely not. so it become prohibitive while owning a car. also, car parks will be full to the brim and in the long term, parking cost will definately increase. and people will also take taxi, and taxi charges will also increase due to spike in demand. another problem is, with coe one can take a loan for car including coe, but without coe, one has to pay cash for the mileage cost. and this can be substantial per month. so the bottom line is, a total mileage based car pricing scheme doesnt work, and believe me, people will kpkb after it is implemented (which they initially yearn for it so much).

There was suggestions to do away with coe and make driving cost solely base on mileage, i.e. dollar per km. Without the coe component, the $ per km wil lhave to be substantially high to make up for the lost revenue form the coe. cars will become much cheaper, e.g. $20k for a b&b car, and many more people will buy cars and some will buy their second or third car for whatever reasons. now, if that drive to orchard road is going to cost like $30 or $50 per trip, will you want to drive your cheap car ? mostl likely not. so it become prohibitive while owning a car. also, car parks will be full to the brim and in the long term, parking cost will definately increase. and people will also take taxi, and taxi charges will also increase due to spike in demand. another problem is, with coe one can take a loan for car including coe, but without coe, one has to pay cash for the mileage cost. and this can be substantial per month. so the bottom line is, a total mileage based car pricing scheme doesnt work, and believe me, people will kpkb after it is implemented (which they initially yearn for it so much).

If ERP ever replaces COE, some smart scholars in LTA will get drivers to bid for ERP rate annually like COE bidding with quotas etc etc.... The goose which lays golden eggs is just too good to be given up. :D

"How many cars would you go out and buy today if COE scrapped"

Question is not how many cars I would buy, It's what car I would want to buy. Actually scrap that. A 458 italia would be pointless in 20kmh traffic..

"How many cars would you go out and buy today if COE scrapped"

Question is not how many cars I would buy, It's what car I would want to buy. Actually scrap that. A 458 italia would be pointless in 20kmh traffic..

at least u can bring it to NSHW Vrooooom

at least u can bring it to NSHW Vrooooom

Hahah can imagine the traffic jam at the causeway? Machiam christmas everyday [laugh]

(edited)

COE is the necessary evil. without COE, car ownership will be very high.

carpark will be a huge problem. everyone will be fighting in hdb carpark, condo and even landed house unless your house can park 3-4 cars inside. then you come out, someone blocked your entrance or double park.

weekend, public holiday, festive season, entire singapore will be jammed like jakarta

yes, you can charge sky high like $100, $200, $300 for driving for that day to deter but during that period $300 is a very small fees to paid in order to drive. beside, already got the car what.

we got 2 problems due to small land size.

car population and car utilisation (erp ... no effective in my opinion)

car population need to be curbed using coe.

coe cannot be for life because then you have no control on the numbers (aka population)

the best way is to ensure coe is bidded in the most effective way and without "manipulation"

manipulation is the key point ... which means it favour the person who has a "profit" on the person who paid for the coe

next is the categorisation of the coe to distribute the coe as "equal" as possible to separate B&B and Luxury. there is no perfection but at least to the best option available.

Edited by Wt_know
↡ Advertisement