Personal experience on trip to Nurburgring

Gorjiam

Supercharged

Waiting for more updates. I hope to bring my slowpok scoobie go run track one day. Like bringing my dog go Dogpark at Bishan like that.

Too bad, not like UK, when I watched Top Gear, they can have track day for 100pds/head.

Waiting for more updates. I hope to bring my slowpok scoobie go run track one day. Like bringing my dog go Dogpark at Bishan like that.

Too bad, not like UK, when I watched Top Gear, they can have track day for 100pds/head.

As an FOC alternative to track, you can find some fairly quiet and seldom used, broad and partially winding country roads in the hills in MY. Some are fairly long from one end to the other, do it a few rounds and you will be satisfied. Be careful of blind spots though, and keep your ego at home, just enjoy your car and the roads. [:)]

You can rent some awesome cars at sliverstone, at an affordable price. Thats why I always think Sepang is over price.

http://www.silverstone.co.uk/

Part 4

As I was saying before things doesn't always happen the way you intend to. After the paper work at about 4pm, the briefing is suppose to begin and the next thing we know, a 911 GT2 managed to leap into the air and landed on its roof. The track is temporarily closed. So the briefing is delayed while the R4R staff went to check out the situation. While my wife was complaining about being hungry and munching on the banana left for hungry guests such as her, Dale came back with picturesque photos of the 911 GT2 upside down and began the horror movie about possibly getting you or your car or your bank account killed the briefing.

The danger is very real. One with driving experience will know from one simple lap on PS3. I realize it's a very difficult circuit when Dale explained to us things I would have never notice on PS3. Maybe some of you guys know about it but frankly its news to me.

Here as some things I remember/shudder at

1) Extremely high curbs: A lot of the curbs here are literally RAMPS. I think they are what? 20-30cm tall? If you hit it, you have to prepare to either fly or lose some part of your car or both. You can't happily ride the curbs as you do in Sepang.

2) Mud outside of curbs. If you happen to go out of the curbs (especially if it is just ONE wheel), you are screwed too. The weather here, I was told is that it rains most of the time, so the ground outside the curbs are extremely muddy and I have unfortunately managed to witness other cars sliding on it 1st hand later on.

P1050499.jpg

3) Only one line through the karussells: The karusells are shaped in a way that if you don't take the recommended line, prepare to let the concrete scrape the s*** out of your undercarriage.

This is another interesting part to me as I never understood what they meant by "German Public road rules applies", until that day

Rules:

1) Basically the "track" is a TWO LANE public road (this confused me greatly for 3 laps)

2) You KEEP RIGHT to give way

3) You ONLY OVERTAKE on the LEFT (a rule which gave me much pain)

4) On the Yellow Light slow down to 50kph, beware of yellow FLAG

5) On Yellow FLAG slow down to 30kph (no overtaking of course.. DUH!)

6) If an accident occurs, you have to stop and REPORT to the German Police, so you can file it to your insurance claim.

If you have been in motorsports or watch them, I believe you know what the Yellow Flag means. IF somehow you broke the above rules and a marshal spots you. Be prepared to be pulled over when you complete a lap at the gantries and be banned from the Ring. I've seen a Sirocco being asked to pull over on one of my laps when I exited the gantries, don't ask me what happened to him cause I've no idea what he did in the 1st place.

After scaring the crap out of my wife and I (the other 6 drivers look unfazed), we proceed to the car for a familiarization session with the mechanic.

The 1st thing I noticed is.. I must buy a Recaro Pole Position bucket seat. The Japanese brands are crap. Any other brands are crap. Recaros are still the best. I almost wanted to hop out and dash to Kirchheim and buy it straight off the Recaro production line. Anyway, for the mechanic, his 1st priority is to get my wife and I belted up tight. And I mean TIGHT. Like you know you are damn fat and old when you tried on the jeans you bought when you were 21 that type of tight. Later on, we'll realize it's really required.

After that, a message from the mechanics and the staff that the Ring is again once open for business, we trotted off in the ZC32. After a short drive thru a 50kph speed limit road brings you to the toll gate of the Ring.

What are your view on driving on the ring, on the country roads (the road leading there is quite nice right), & driving in Germany in general (other than the silly amount of speed cams in town areas). Hope to hear opinion of a fellow Singaporean.

What are your view on driving on the ring, on the country roads (the road leading there is quite nice right), & driving in Germany in general (other than the silly amount of speed cams in town areas). Hope to hear opinion of a fellow Singaporean.

I've been to Germany I think 3-4 times but this is the 1st time I've driven in Germany.

This trip is Cologne to Nurburg -> Heidelburg -> Rothenburg -> Stuttgart -> Frankfurt

I feel that they are quite disciplined. Disciplined in a human kind of way.

Yes there are those who speeds like no tomorrow and there are those who obey every single sign there is. Just like us.

Yes, truckers are the same all over the world and just like in M'sia, they just change lanes as and when they like.. no f***s given to the guys coming in the next lane behind.

But what I like about them, is the way they behave on the Autobahn. They know their limits.

3 lane Autobahn, the 1st lane are the 90kph Trucks. 2nd lane are the normal guys doing 150kph, 3rd lanes are the crazies doing god knows what speed.

And when the 3 lane autobahn is empty -> the "crazies" just keep to the 2nd lane.. over take on the 3rd left most when necesary. The 'normal' guys keep to the right most at times. They really keep the left most lane clear when possible.

I almost cried when I see that. Unlike here in SG, there will be some c*** in a Camry, doing 70 on the right most lane, thinking he/she owns the ducking road.

No one in Germany overtakes on the right in my short 7 days there. Here? We over take everywhere.

Cameras?

I only noticed them in Stuttgart and this 130kph zone on the A6 where the camera flashed while I was blindly following a Merc doing 150kph [:(]

I was thinking Germany have a GOOD absence of cameras compared to Norway. Looks like I didn't drive enough in Germany. [laugh]

Supercharged

Part 4

As I was saying before things doesn't always happen the way you intend to. After the paper work at about 4pm, the briefing is suppose to begin and the next thing we know, a 911 GT2 managed to leap into the air and landed on its roof. The track is temporarily closed. So the briefing is delayed while the R4R staff went to check out the situation. While my wife was complaining about being hungry and munching on the banana left for hungry guests such as her, Dale came back with picturesque photos of the 911 GT2 upside down and began the horror movie about possibly getting you or your car or your bank account killed the briefing.

The danger is very real. One with driving experience will know from one simple lap on PS3. I realize it's a very difficult circuit when Dale explained to us things I would have never notice on PS3. Maybe some of you guys know about it but frankly its news to me.

Here as some things I remember/shudder at

1) Extremely high curbs: A lot of the curbs here are literally RAMPS. I think they are what? 20-30cm tall? If you hit it, you have to prepare to either fly or lose some part of your car or both. You can't happily ride the curbs as you do in Sepang.

2) Mud outside of curbs. If you happen to go out of the curbs (especially if it is just ONE wheel), you are screwed too. The weather here, I was told is that it rains most of the time, so the ground outside the curbs are extremely muddy and I have unfortunately managed to witness other cars sliding on it 1st hand later on.

3) Only one line through the karussells: The karusells are shaped in a way that if you don't take the recommended line, prepare to let the concrete scrape the s*** out of your undercarriage.

This is another interesting part to me as I never understood what they meant by "German Public road rules applies", until that day

Rules:

1) Basically the "track" is a TWO LANE public road (this confused me greatly for 3 laps)

2) You KEEP RIGHT to give way

3) You ONLY OVERTAKE on the LEFT (a rule which gave me much pain)

4) On the Yellow Light slow down to 50kph, beware of yellow FLAG

5) On Yellow FLAG slow down to 30kph (no overtaking of course.. DUH!)

6) If an accident occurs, you have to stop and REPORT to the German Police, so you can file it to your insurance claim.

If you have been in motorsports or watch them, I believe you know what the Yellow Flag means. IF somehow you broke the above rules and a marshal spots you. Be prepared to be pulled over when you complete a lap at the gantries and be banned from the Ring. I've seen a Sirocco being asked to pull over on one of my laps when I exited the gantries, don't ask me what happened to him cause I've no idea what he did in the 1st place.

After scaring the crap out of my wife and I (the other 6 drivers look unfazed), we proceed to the car for a familiarization session with the mechanic.

The 1st thing I noticed is.. I must buy a Recaro Pole Position bucket seat. The Japanese brands are crap. Any other brands are crap. Recaros are still the best. I almost wanted to hop out and dash to Kirchheim and buy it straight off the Recaro production line. Anyway, for the mechanic, his 1st priority is to get my wife and I belted up tight. And I mean TIGHT. Like you know you are damn fat and old when you tried on the jeans you bought when you were 21 that type of tight. Later on, we'll realize it's really required.

After that, a message from the mechanics and the staff that the Ring is again once open for business, we trotted off in the ZC32. After a short drive thru a 50kph speed limit road brings you to the toll gate of the Ring.

good write up bro. Make me so sexcited!

From the photo, can see the curb is really high up. No wonder the Porsche can flip. :ph34r:

Supercharged

As an FOC alternative to track, you can find some fairly quiet and seldom used, broad and partially winding country roads in the hills in MY. Some are fairly long from one end to the other, do it a few rounds and you will be satisfied. Be careful of blind spots though, and keep your ego at home, just enjoy your car and the roads. [:)]

I don't dare to drive into MY cos I don't think my skills are that good [laugh] and I have a bit of an ego.

That's why I think driving on track is better, cos regardless of the dangers involved, I not endangering other roadusers (especially bikers).

I don't dare to drive into MY cos I don't think my skills are that good [laugh] and I have a bit of an ego.

That's why I think driving on track is better, cos regardless of the dangers involved, I not endangering other roadusers (especially bikers).

Yes, track is still safeer than public roads. [:)] enjoy [thumbsup]

↡ Advertisement