GPS Running watch to recommend

D3badge

Neutral Newbie

Avoid touch screen if possible, it's not easy to press when you are running.

lol, that is quite true. i can't even touch the "answer call" button on my phone properly while running. :)

↡ Advertisement

Timex have an issue locating signal in the morning in Singapore and it's very fast to locate signal in the evening, rather strange....

Bought a Timex Ironman Run Trainer with HRM online in Jan and found the GPS function not functioning. Sent it to RSH and finally collected the replacement watch after waiting for 3 months as they claim to have sent the watch back to the US for diagnosis and repair.

Have used the watch for about a month now and am quite happy with it. It takes quite some time locating the signal for the first run (about 3-5 mins) but the subsequent oones were fast (less than a min).

Hi to all serious runners PLEASE DO NOT BUY THE TIMEX GPS WATCHES. The GPS signal is terrible and I get lost GPS signal 9 out of every 10 runs. Please avoid in particular the Timex Ironman Run Trainer "GPS" watches.

see below reviews;

http://www.amazon.com/Timex-Full-Size-T5K5...howViewpoints=0

This is a terrible product and if you are a serious runner please DO NOT BUY THIS WATCH. The charging clip broke on unboxing so I could not even start up the watch. As I was in Singapore it TOOK TIMEX 6 MONTHS to get a replacement clip.

When the clip arrived, I DISCOVERED THE WATCH WOULD NOT CHARGE. This was confirmed by Timex Singapore and it took another 6 weeks to get a replacement watch.

IN ALL, A TOTAL OF 7-8 MONTHS ELAPSED BEFORE I COULD EVEN CHARGE UP THE WATCH.

After 5 months of us The GPS degrades. The watch takes ages to get a GPS lock. Sometimes the signal is lost in the middle of the run, or some times, it stops working in the middle of the run. Out of my last 10 runs in the past fortnight, the watch has never been able to get a 100% unbroken GPS lock.

DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT. THE BUILD QUALITY ABSOLUTELY SUXS. FOR THE SERIOUS RUNNERS, STAY WITH THE GARMIN....I have reverted to using my old Garmin forerunner.

If you read the comments from other users you will see that many customers experienced the same problems with this watch. CHARGING CLIP BREAKS, WATCH CANNOT CHARGE UP, WATCH CANNOT SECURE GPS LOCK.

DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT. TIMEX YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELVES!!!

By

Doreen Ng - See all my reviews

Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)

This review is from: Timex Full-Size T5K549 Ironman Run Trainer GPS Watch (Sports)

I received a defective product - no display; not charging. But the attitude of staff who handled the case was commendable.

Help other customers find the most helpful reviews

Was this review helpful to you? Yes No

Report abuse | Permalink

Comment Comment

1.0 out of 5 stars Junk, June 1, 2013

By

john a. gallagher - See all my reviews

This review is from: Timex Full-Size T5K549 Ironman Run Trainer GPS Watch (Sports)

Negative stars if I could. Would not take a charge at all, never woke up. Timex said that if they have been in the warehouse a while, they won't work. Just exchange it and you should get lucky and receive one that works! Glad they have such confidence in their product.

Report abuse | Permalink

Comment Comment

1.0 out of 5 stars Charger is useless plastic, May 31, 2013

By

c - See all my reviews

Charger is made of very cheap weak clips. both clips broke. One was broken in the box the other while trying to attach it. Very poorly constructed thin plastic. Ashamed of Timex allowing this after all their years selling the watch that" takes a lickin and keeps on tickin"

Report abuse | Permalink

Comment Comment

3 of 5 people found the following review helpful

1.0 out of 5 stars Not sure if I will ever buy one again, December 3, 2012

By

nalovar - See all my reviews

I couldn

Hi to all serious runners PLEASE DO NOT BUY THE TIMEX GPS WATCHES. The GPS signal is terrible and I get lost GPS signal 9 out of every 10 runs. Please avoid in particular the Timex Ironman Run Trainer "GPS" watches.

The one I got was delivered 'dead' and not charging as well. Had to do a reset by holding the watch, pressing all 4 shoulder buttons in at the same time for 5 seconds, then release before it 'woke up'. Anyway, can't really complain much as I paid around SGD $200 including shipping. However, I don't think I'll be getting a Timex again.

Its a pity the Timex watch is so crappy because the Run Trainer does look quite nice unlike many of the GPS watches. I suppose there is a trade off between pleasing form and actual functionality. In the case of Timex, there is almost no functionality as a GPS watch....

The other GPS watch which looks very nice is the Polar RC3 Tour De France edition...see : http://www.polar.com/en/products/improve_f..._Tour_de_France

a very pretty GPS watch and very slim too but I duno about its reliability as a actual GPS watch....I don't need another lemon watch in addition to the Timex Run Trainer..lol

The one I got was delivered 'dead' and not charging as well. Had to do a reset by holding the watch, pressing all 4 shoulder buttons in at the same time for 5 seconds, then release before it 'woke up'. Anyway, can't really complain much as I paid around SGD $200 including shipping. However, I don't think I'll be getting a Timex again.

bought my Suunto Ambit 2S today :D

finally Ambit 2 arrive to SG [thumbsup]

Happy for you.

Kindly provide some write up for your new toy as I may need to replace mine.

------

I am using Garmin 405 since Dec 2010,

Pro - Garmin Connect - Keep all running data at Garmin site.

Touch screen - easy to use once all detail set.

Rubber WristBand give way 2 months ago. (replace with vergo - provided)

Con - Short Battery life,

Screen too small

Unable to see clearly at night.

Happy for you.

Kindly provide some write up for your new toy as I may need to replace mine.

------

I am using Garmin 405 since Dec 2010,

Pro - Garmin Connect - Keep all running data at Garmin site.

Touch screen - easy to use once all detail set.

Rubber WristBand give way 2 months ago. (replace with vergo - provided)

Con - Short Battery life,

Screen too small

Unable to see clearly at night.

sure [;)] but due to haze, cant really go out and test been running on trackmill. but I tested out the GPS, AMAZING!!! take only 2s to log on GPS signal!!! no joke YES 2 SECONDS only!!!

Neutral Newbie

What's significantly better than say, tracking with iPhone or Android ?

Biggest issue is battery life, Personally, i am "obsessed" with recording and mapping my run so whatever i use needs to last the run or race that i am doing. Iphone or android wont last a marathon with apps like runkeeper because i am not fast enough [:p] [:p] . And it doesnt make sense to run with battery pack.

Aslo, gps on phone is assisted so it loses signal often and accuracy becomes problem. I remember running on changi airfield once - gps got confused and mapped me into the runway. :)

The advantage of using the phones is that you get a mp3 player and songs while you run. Other than the Motorolla Motoactv no other GPS watch can do this.

But I still favour a GPS watch coz I can do runs overseas and I can map the runs using the watch GPS. Using a phone to record runs outside of Singapore would rack up crazy roaming charges.

I also record my drives to KL and flights overseas using my GPS watch...lol....and I also record my swim in the pool using the watch....u cant do that with a phone..lol

Still prefer to use GPS watches..Phones are too bulky and heavy. Strap it around the arm always slip down.

Neutral Newbie

The advantage of using the phones is that you get a mp3 player and songs while you run. Other than the Motorolla Motoactv no other GPS watch can do this.

But I still favour a GPS watch coz I can do runs overseas and I can map the runs using the watch GPS. Using a phone to record runs outside of Singapore would rack up crazy roaming charges.

I also record my drives to KL and flights overseas using my GPS watch...lol....and I also record my swim in the pool using the watch....u cant do that with a phone..lol

True that. Lol, interesting idea! Shall try recording flight routes with GPS someday [laugh]

Try it its quite interesting. BUT BE SURE TO TURN OFF THE 1KM SPLIT chime....otherwise the watch will sound off every 3 secs per km and drive the rest of the passengers crazy...lol

My GPS watch will loose the GPS signal as the aircraft climbs, or descends. But once the plane hits sufficient altitude (above 5000 - 7000m) there is a good GPS lock and later u can see the route taken by the air plane when you download the data.

True that. Lol, interesting idea! Shall try recording flight routes with GPS someday [laugh]

↡ Advertisement