GPS Running watch to recommend

D3badge

Happy for you.

Kindly provide some write up for your new toy as I may need to replace mine.

------

I am using Garmin 405 since Dec 2010,

Pro - Garmin Connect - Keep all running data at Garmin site.

Touch screen - easy to use once all detail set.

Rubber WristBand give way 2 months ago. (replace with vergo - provided)

Con - Short Battery life,

Screen too small

Unable to see clearly at night.

Me another FR405 user. In fact, my current unit is a replacement unit. I am going to move to Ambit 2 with the bigger screen & longer battery life.

↡ Advertisement

hmm, ok I will try it next time I go overseas.....but I also log my swims n I don't think my phone will take to the water well...

I think many tria-athletes still op fer a GPS watch coz it feels natural on the wrist and they can easily see the speed, pace and distance. The only hybrid so far that trys to combine phone, MP3 and GPS watch is the Motorola Motoactv....n that's not a watch I can wear as a daily dress watch.....

Actually you shouldn't need data roaming on your phone for the GPS recorder to work. At least with Google Tracks, it will record your tracks even without the online maps, or you can browse the area using WIFI beforehand and it will cache it. GPS lock-in may take longer w/o AGPS - 1 or 2 minutes.

hmm, ok I will try it next time I go overseas.....but I also log my swims n I don't think my phone will take to the water well...

I think many tria-athletes still op fer a GPS watch coz it feels natural on the wrist and they can easily see the speed, pace and distance. The only hybrid so far that trys to combine phone, MP3 and GPS watch is the Motorola Motoactv....n that's not a watch I can wear as a daily dress watch.....

I think MP3 + running can be a deadly combo... many times see runners on MP3 never check for traffic and clueless to surrounding.

of course not all people who listen to MP3 so kock but most of the time they tend to immerse in their own world [whip]

Hypersonic

Am using the Garmin forerunner 410. In term of looks, still ok. GPS lock on is rather fast too. Only annoying part is the touch bazel gets unpredictable when it gets wet with sweat. Good battery too, drove to genting with GPS lock on, after more roughly 5 hrs, still got 30% juice..

Any smart watch to recommend ? One that pairs with phone so you have all the GPS and ANT+ monitoring ?

Why not stick to phone? Pointless to use smart watch.

Juz like some polar watch. Polar watch + GPS pod + HRM.

Using phone, but cannot see the screen when running. [laugh] More fancy than necessity.

Phone will tell you all those information. No need to see.

If you are serious about running, might as well get a real GPS watch.

Try it its quite interesting. BUT BE SURE TO TURN OFF THE 1KM SPLIT chime....otherwise the watch will sound off every 3 secs per km and drive the rest of the passengers crazy...lol

My GPS watch will loose the GPS signal as the aircraft climbs, or descends. But once the plane hits sufficient altitude (above 5000 - 7000m) there is a good GPS lock and later u can see the route taken by the air plane when you download the data.

Can on your GPS watch during flight wor? hmm..

Turbocharged

3 years since the last post on here.

Any new recommendations for gps running watch? Garmin is too ex. Looking for cheaper reliable chinese equivalents

Any new recommendations for gps running watch? Garmin is too ex. Looking for cheaper reliable chinese equivalents

If you like, look for this watch call tic 2. The earlier version is available now in singapore or else go to kickstarter as they have a new lower cost version.
  • Praise 1

Juz use your phone.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Juz use your phone.

Ergonomics-wise phones suck... Need a proper holder, buttons get accidentally pressed through the plastic cover, not sensitive enough etc etc

Ergonomics-wise phones suck... Need a proper holder, buttons get accidentally pressed through the plastic cover, not sensitive enough etc etc

Currently, there is limited choice.  Namely:

Garmin

Suunto

Tom Tom

I will not move away from these brands if i need seamless integration into Strava.

Maybe Garmin Forerunner 25 might suit you.

Turbocharged

Why don't you advise your Budget and features you want? Ie do you need constant Heartbeat tracking, must be be accurate enough for elevation, Do you need it to sync with a data provider etc etc

Turbocharged

Why don't you advise your Budget and features you want? Ie do you need constant Heartbeat tracking, must be be accurate enough for elevation, Do you need it to sync with a data provider etc etc

below $100

primarily need an accurate gps to track distance, no need for heartbeat.

↡ Advertisement