Magnifying glass
  • Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
62 replies to this topic | 95 praises

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:04 PM

Gildor8
  • Gildor8
    1st Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Hi all,

Thinking of getting an old S80 or S60 because the price seems reasonable.

Like your advise whether this move is a lousy one and the maintenance will kill.

thanks in advance.

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:17 PM

Hamburger
  • Premium member
    Hamburger
    2Fast2Furious
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Hi all,

Like your advise whether this move is a lousy one and the maintenance will kill.

thanks in advance.

how old is old....
do to others what you want others to do to you......

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:36 AM

Gildor8
  • Gildor8
    1st Gear
    Author Image

how old is old....

Should have been clearer....thinking of getting 2006/2007 Volvo because the price seems reasonable with the huge scrap value.

Posted 29 June 2013 - 03:30 PM

Djdp
  • Djdp
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

Can buy
I bought a 06 s60 6 months back
Because feel that it's more worth it
N there are wkshop outside which do
Volvo other then agent

Posted 29 June 2013 - 05:44 PM

Tarenn
  • Premium member
    Tarenn
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

Hi all,

thanks in advance.

Imo both are value for money, powerful engine and balance ride. Nothing in this class within $12k.
Shouldn't be costly to maintain if you find the right ws who is familiar with these models.

Posted 29 June 2013 - 06:30 PM

Toledo
  • Toledo
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

i'm still driving my 06 S60. parts are readily available from local stockists, or thru' ebay or US volvo websites. don't need to go back to agent unless it is electronics issue. but i think there a a few workshops that do have the test equipment.

u can check out the local volvo forums for more info :

http://vocsg.com/ind...5727dbf4929d710

or

http://volvosgclub.com

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:23 PM

LoverofCar
  • Premium member
    LoverofCar
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Which work shop specialized in Volvo?

''Don't take life too serious...learn to forgive and forget..after all.....no one get out of life......alive''

Posted 30 June 2013 - 12:20 AM

Mach23
  • Premium member
    Mach23
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

Owned a S60 2.0T loved the solid ride with tank like safety, fuel frugal at 10km per liter for the light pressure turbo. Downside: big turning radius and slow spooling turbo. Workshop familiar include Zenith and TJ auto at bukit merah

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:39 AM

Carer
  • Carer
    4th Gear
    Author Image

I am also looking to get an s80, probably 07 ot 08 model. Seems like the prices r reasonably priced considering both the high paper value and current coe climate.

Does anyone have an idea on its fc?

TS, there is a recent s80 ad. Nov 07 asking for 60k. Very good price. U may wan to have a look.

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:49 AM

Triston77
  • Premium member
    Triston77
    1st Gear
    Author Image

I have a 09 c70. Good car so far. Apart from wear and tear, servicing also manageable. Wearnes servicing interval is 15k or 1 year. But i still do it at 6 mths as i do 90% city and start-stop drivng.

Posted 30 June 2013 - 04:00 PM

Sugardaddy77
  • Sugardaddy77
    Neutral Newbie
    Author Image

Selling my 20 inch rims with 6 months old PZero tyres

Interested bros, please PM meimage.jpg

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:07 PM

Gildor8
  • Gildor8
    1st Gear
    Author Image

Can buy
I bought a 06 s60 6 months back
Because feel that it's more worth it
N there are wkshop outside which do
Volvo other then agent

assuring to hear from a 2nd hand Volvo owner.

How much is the normal servicing?. No problems with the timing belt, gear box?

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:43 PM

Ikennyg
  • Premium member
    Ikennyg
    1st Gear
    Author Image

My 2005 S60 T5 servicing cost at outside workshop brought own parts 2 bottle 4L engine oil use 5.8L $120, oil filter $18, labour $20=$158. Some workshop will charge $80 just to reset the service interval and I know how to reset the service interval myself so any workshop could do a simple oil change .Timing belt change is at every 90k interval including the water pump. Of all the conti car I had driven Volvo gear box is most reliable as it using Aisin gear box made by Toyota. Yes. Most of the Volvo model is using Toyota gear box. The ATF is using Toyota type 4 gear box oil costing $40 for 4L bottle.

The only problem with turbo charge engine is it consume some engine oil even without any leakage. I top up 1L for every 5k mileage. According to the service manual the reason for oil lost is due to the EO is use to lubricate the turbo and lost in the process. Fyi BMW, volkwagon and Audi engine also consume EO too. The other parts that fail quite often is the 5 engine mount and the parts is cheap. Buy from stock list 5 engine mount cost below $350. The turbo is very reliable and seldom fail due to running at low boost below 1 bar. Own the car for almost 3 years maintenance cost per year including servicing and replacing wear and tear part never over 1k. Now the car mileage is around 160k km.

Yes Volvo car drink due to the heavy body but with the performance, pick up and top speed fuel consumption is the last thing on my mind.
rocknroll praised this

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:19 AM

Gildor8
  • Gildor8
    1st Gear
    Author Image

My 2005 S60 T5 servicing cost at outside workshop brought own parts 2 bottle 4L engine oil use 5.8L $120, oil filter $18, labour $20=$158. Some workshop will charge $80 just to reset the service interval and I know how to reset the service interval myself so any workshop could do a simple oil change .Timing belt change is at every 90k interval including the water pump. Of all the conti car I had driven Volvo gear box is most reliable as it using Aisin gear box made by Toyota. Yes. Most of the Volvo model is using Toyota gear box. The ATF is using Toyota type 4 gear box oil costing $40 for 4L bottle.

The only problem with turbo charge engine is it consume some engine oil even without any leakage. I top up 1L for every 5k mileage. According to the service manual the reason for oil lost is due to the EO is use to lubricate the turbo and lost in the process. Fyi BMW, volkwagon and Audi engine also consume EO too. The other parts that fail quite often is the 5 engine mount and the parts is cheap. Buy from stock list 5 engine mount cost below $350. The turbo is very reliable and seldom fail due to running at low boost below 1 bar. Own the car for almost 3 years maintenance cost per year including servicing and replacing wear and tear part never over 1k. Now the car mileage is around 160k km.

Yes Volvo car drink due to the heavy body but with the performance, pick up and top speed fuel consumption is the last thing on my mind.

Thanks. Very informative. You are right, with performance of Volvo, fuel consumption is the last thing to be on the drivers mind.

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:28 PM

Djdp
  • Djdp
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

normal service depend on grade and of cos brand use
I'm using FK and it cost around 150 there about depend on which grade u chosse.
my S60 timing belt already chg by previous owner so, anyway, that's like to be replace every 90-100k km
and the cost is like many other jap make.

Till date, these are what i'd done/replace:
1. respray whole car
2. replace all brake rotors to powersot slotted
3. Stoptech brake pad all round
4. Sparco 18" rims with Toyo T1Sport tires
5. replace front lower arm bushing
6. turbo repair kit changed
7. replace air cond condenser
8. install Hayden ATF cooler
9. replace steering rack oil ring x 2 pcs
10. right hand side outer drive shaft cover

Dun be alarm if u think this is a long list. Some of the items are not damage but
i decide to chg it . And majority are wear and tear which apply to other cars too.

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:31 PM

Djdp
  • Djdp
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

Thanks. Very informative. You are right, with performance of Volvo, fuel consumption is the last thing to be on the drivers mind.

if u get a 2.0 unit, consumption is quite ok at around 10km/L
2.4 T5 i get around 8+-9km/L

Posted 01 January 2015 - 11:24 PM

Happycar6768
  • Happycar6768
    Neutral Newbie
    Author Image

Dear Al, I'm thinking to get a S80 (Year 2008), any advice about the car? Good or bad? thx

Posted 02 January 2015 - 01:07 AM

Volvobrick
  • Volvobrick
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Dear Al, I'm thinking to get a S80 (Year 2008), any advice about the car? Good or bad? thx

Volvo's are generally reliable in my experience.  Between me and my siblings we have so far gone through 6 (I have one that is 9.5 yrs.... and in my family there is a new model V70 which share the chassis as the 08 S80.  That has no problem reported so far.)

My only issue is with the suspension which tends to make noises (probably the seats for the spring).  Engine started to leak some oil after reaching 9 yr, gear box, air con and others are rock solid.  I never service the air con (other than cabin filter) in all my Volvo's!

Try to find one 80K km or less as minor problem like oil leaks and ignition coils (simple replacement, order 1 or 2 spare from Amazon!) may creep in around 120K km.

Good luck!

Lightbringer praised this

Posted 02 January 2015 - 12:20 PM

Ahseng
  • Premium member
    Ahseng
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Volvo's are generally reliable in my experience.  Between me and my siblings we have so far gone through 6 (I have one that is 9.5 yrs.... and in my family there is a new model V70 which share the chassis as the 08 S80.  That has no problem reported so far.)

My only issue is with the suspension which tends to make noises (probably the seats for the spring).  Engine started to leak some oil after reaching 9 yr, gear box, air con and others are rock solid.  I never service the air con (other than cabin filter) in all my Volvo's!

Try to find one 80K km or less as minor problem like oil leaks and ignition coils (simple replacement, order 1 or 2 spare from Amazon!) may creep in around 120K km.

Good luck!

good to hear that, i'm too hunting for a s80, only gripes is ahpek looks to the max hahaha. Depreciation abit higher than camry but then it's a volvo mah. OMV alot higher than camry, so i think it's a no brainer choice for a used car. 

Only getting a 3 year old ride to tide over this crazy coe period (hopefully crazy coe will not last forever), at the same time get some songness over owning a "nicer" car, now driving altis. Cos after baby grow up in 2 or 3 years time, car should be "BIG" && "BUDGET".

Posted 02 January 2015 - 12:43 PM

Volvobrick
  • Volvobrick
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

good to hear that, i'm too hunting for a s80, only gripes is ahpek looks to the max hahaha. Depreciation abit higher than camry but then it's a volvo mah. OMV alot higher than camry, so i think it's a no brainer choice for a used car. 

Only getting a 3 year old ride to tide over this crazy coe period (hopefully crazy coe will not last forever), at the same time get some songness over owning a "nicer" car, now driving altis. Cos after baby grow up in 2 or 3 years time, car should be "BIG" && "BUDGET".

Get the 2.5T inline 5 and chip it up (for about $1K) to 270 HP, and you won't be bothered by the ah pek look anymore!

[laugh]

LoverofCar, Mason016 and Wyfitms praised this

Back to Conti Talk  ·  Car Brands Top Reply to this topic

Quick Reply

Tags: Volvo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users