Which 2nd hand car dealer is good?

CamholicX

ts had not posted in any threads for years.

and first post after so long is to to praise Alvin Neo from Motor-East for his apparent "good service".

sounds pretty fishy to me.

unless TS is alvin himself.  [speechless]

On a side note,

HELLO ALVIN NEO! 

↡ Advertisement

wa, this thread haven close?

ok, i'll share mine

i bought my ex-honda city from Kwan Chun at Toh Guan. they sell mostly cat C vehicles though. 

the car which i bought was claimed to be the boss's wife car. high mileage (more than 200 clicks for 8 year old car) but served me well especially when i was in the midst of going to ikea to buy furniture for my new house. managed to bargained a bit. the person even drove the car down to my house after the paper work was done. wow. 

the price discussed was final sans insurance. so considered no admin charge. the SE was a a nice old uncle. 

the only thing i can complain was the air con belt which gave me problems after more than 1 year of driving. but since it's going to the scrapyard soon, i decided not to repair it. 

so there you go. there are good SEs around, but not at the usual big used car centres. 

Sometimes even u can find a good dealer but u also must see the car condition.

Normally the law only cover 6 months warranty so its better to find mint condition car than reputable dealer.

hearsay, even dealer can be ripped off by another dealer ... lol

one mountain is higher than another mountain ...

It takes a very very experienced car buyer to not be ripped of by used car dealer. 

• Praise 1

Go to 1 man army!

I realised 1-man army dealer are more eager to sell and everything very negotiable. 1 boss tell me test the car first then we talk. 

majprity of dealers do not allow test drive. u go and test water before posting ok

The car is more important than the dealer

So it boils down to luck of the draw

Certainly there are some good honest dealers esp those companies that have been around for many years, case trust etc.

Generally no dealers in their right frame of mind will want to sell u a lemon and get themselves into problems with buyers. Many times they themselves probably wont know esp when they take over at near scrap prices or at a big discount

But in the end Businessmen means business.

When u are unlucky to get a lemon, even the most well intentioned dealers will change face if it means eating into their profits or they land up with a loss

If the car happens to be a hidden gem, even the most notorious dealers will look like Angels

Look at the bad dealers list, for every "bad" case they have, there are probably 5 others where nothing happens and customers are happy with them.

That's one of the reasons why some people will never get a used car bec they don't want to take the risk of the draw.

• Praise 5

If the car happens to be a hidden gem, even the most notorious dealers will look like Angels

Look at the bad dealers list, for every "bad" case they have, there are probably 5 others where nothing happens and customers are happy with them.

You're probably right, I must have lucked out and got a good car. Didn't have to worry about being pushed to take any loan or insurance either so that was a nice change from previous interactions with other dealers.

Indeed it is easy to say all dealers are rubbish, however the reality of it is that there are those among us who will turn to a pre-owned car for various reasons, be they fiscal or otherwise. Just thought my comment may come of use to those who are wondering which among these dealers may have the slightest chance of being anywhere decent. To each his own.

Edited by Slacker001
  • Praise 1

You're probably right, I must have lucked out and got a good car. Didn't have to worry about being pushed to take any loan or insurance either so that was a nice change from previous interactions with other dealers.

Indeed it is easy to say all dealers are rubbish, however the reality of it is that there are those among us who will turn to a pre-owned car for various reasons, be they fiscal or otherwise. Just thought my comment may come of use to those who are wondering which among these dealers may have the slightest chance of being anywhere decent. To each his own.

Its more of luck that you get a good car

just bought a 2nd hand 9 year old civic 2.0L from a relative.

lucky not to go thru dealer. mileage only 69,000km. 9 years servicing all from kah motors.

Neutral Newbie

Don't go for The Car Regency Pte Ltd, bought a car from them, on the second day of my collection, I call them regarding some faulty and spoilt part, they claim that this are wear and tear and not honoring the repair.

very simple.

Test drive the car. If you like, offer a price and

Tell the dealer you will only pay for

1. The car price (you will need to pay for the 1st instalment if you are taking loan)

2. The transfer fee ($11)

3. The insurance

no admin fee

no GST

no processing fee

I am driving my 5th second hand car till date.

I have asked so many dealers asking for admin fee at least $500

if dun allow test drive, then how to decide to buy the car?

How to have no test drive when we are talking 10 of the thousands dollar transection .

not going to market and buy vegetable //

Most dealers allow test drive la. No test drive how to confirm deal?

question ? Is there a warranty to come along with a 2nd hand car? 

I have heard some provide warranty but some don't 

i have had good experience with BM Grande Auto. they give warranty for gearbox and engine. 6 months

my previous dealer didnt.

anyway. like someone mentioned, the state of the car is more important than the reputation of the dealer. even blacklisted dealers can have good value for money cars in their inventory

I have asked so many dealers asking for admin fee at least $500

$500 is consider normal.

Got one in Ubi AML asking my in-law for $1k admin, just for selling the car to them.

Used-car industrial is getting out-of-hand, dealer can anyhow quote because there isn't any market policies/guideline.

Edited by Imac

U changed car again? :D

the pundek radx took my car to choa chu kang cemetery for a private tryst with poker 

then race my little 1.7litre car with TB4's M5 

end up the car exploded

luckily, it a shitty cheap car, didnt loose much  [laugh]

↡ Advertisement