No more dining by the river's edge under new URA guidelines

Darthrevan

ST_20130711_PSQUAY11_3740739e.jpg

Romantic meals right at the edge of the Singapore River will soon become a thing of the past at Robertson Quay and Clarke Quay, when new rules on outdoor refreshment areas kick in this week.

Under new guidelines from the Urban Redevelopment Authority (URA), diners' tables cannot be placed right by the riverside. The aim, it said, is to "free up the riverfront for public access".

The new rules are effective immediately, but the URA said it would give operators "sufficient time" to clear the riverside tables.

Outdoor tables on the side of the walkway away from the river can stay, and restaurants can also apply to develop second-storey extensions from buildings to create dining areas there.

Source: http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-news/...elines-20130711

----------------------------------

no more Al fresco dining soon..

↡ Advertisement

Romantic meals right at the edge of the Singapore River will soon become a thing of the past at Robertson Quay and Clarke Quay, when new rules on outdoor refreshment areas kick in this week.

Under new guidelines from the Urban Redevelopment Authority (URA), diners' tables cannot be placed right by the riverside. The aim, it said, is to "free up the riverfront for public access".

The new rules are effective immediately, but the URA said it would give operators "sufficient time" to clear the riverside tables.

Outdoor tables on the side of the walkway away from the river can stay, and restaurants can also apply to develop second-storey extensions from buildings to create dining areas there.

Source: http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-news/...elines-20130711

----------------------------------

no more Al fresco dining soon..

The only attractive part at the two quays are the riverside dinner experience....take that away...i think the makan places can close shop liao....just a matter of time,...

The only attractive part at the two quays are the riverside dinner experience....take that away...i think the makan places can close shop liao....just a matter of time,...

But I think this is the right move - to allow normal people (i.e. non-diners) to enjoy the riverside instead of letting the restaurants use it for commercial purposes.

Turbocharged

But I think this is the right move - to allow normal people (i.e. non-diners) to enjoy the riverside instead of letting the restaurants use it for commercial purposes.

Agree. These restaurants mainly target the tourist and their prices are not cheap, why not make it more attractive for everyone ?

Supercharged

its a good move.

riverside area are built for public and meant for public.

Why are the restuarants allowed to put their tables there in the 1st place? Someone up there sleeping?

I do have this question in my mind for a long time.

to me no different, if the restaurant is still noisy and messy behind you, I doubt you would enjoy the walk along that stretch -_-

Give sufficient time to clear the tables? Yeah, it takes at least a month to clear these as the furniture are affixed to the ground by cables and hooks.

The chilli crab there nice. Public access? Not many ppl walking around there. URA can really throw wet blanket to dampen things.

its a good move.

riverside area are built for public and meant for public.

Why are the restuarants allowed to put their tables there in the 1st place? Someone up there sleeping?

I do have this question in my mind for a long time.

Does that extra bit of space really matter to you?

I think having tables there is really better utilisation for the space. At least the people seated can really enjoy being next to the river while dining.

Trust me, when the tables are gone, all you will have is empty walking space that no one really appreciates.

The crabs there sucks, the food there all ex??

Dun think so, Bella pizza my num 1 list reasonable priced for that quality

I go for the food n view n feel but nv really sit by the river

So doesn't bother me [laugh]

The crabs there sucks, the food there all ex??

Dun think so, Bella pizza my num 1 list reasonable priced for that quality

I go for the food n view n feel but nv really sit by the river

So doesn't bother me [laugh]

OT a bit.

You got your account back? [laugh]

Supercharged

Does that extra bit of space really matter to you?

I think having tables there is really better utilisation for the space. At least the people seated can really enjoy being next to the river while dining.

Trust me, when the tables are gone, all you will have is empty walking space that no one really appreciates.

of coz those bit of space does matter to the general public.

when we hit 6.9 million, u will see whether u need that extra space or not.

and what's wrong with leaving space empty? you wan to do what our shopping malls are doing? every empty walking area, they rent out to those booths and tables and the crowd has to rub shoulders and smell each other's armpits while walking?

Turbocharged

The intention is good. Actually I have no problems at the way it is now (clarke quay, boat quat, robertson quay). Dunno why the rules.

Some years back, there was also a similar government ruling on public access along the seaside. That's why we can walk along the sailing clubs at ECP and Changi. A good call from the government.

(edited)

the URA suka suka change, before they say the alfresco outdoor seating will give the paris bistro feel, want people to enjoy outdoor to create an ambiance.

the riverside was so dead few years ago and took the F&B business so many years of bleeding just about to see some light, now they want to change the rules again.

Edited by Jman888

I dun rem I know you leh [cool]

I so good boy, sure mcf will give me a space one [laugh]

yes, quarantine is also a space..... [laugh] [laugh]

but more apt for u is the black hole

↡ Advertisement