Copper Spark Plug @ 40k km Usage

Octopus

Hi all,

This is an update further to my post on NGK BKR6E-11 (a.k.a V-Power) condition at 30k km usage.

Ref: http://www.mycarforum.com/index.php?showto...spark*&st=0

Recently I just changed out this new sets of "Copper" spark plug (NGK BKR6E-11) with 40,000 km usage. Price for each spark plug is only S$3.50 and it can last 40km without symptom of mis-firing, difficulties in starting, etc. I only felt acceleration a bit sluggish at it approaches 40k km.

Below is the photos of the 4nos spark plugs.

post-5338-1373870263_thumb.jpg

I took the gap measurement using feeler gauge. According to specifiction, brand new NGK BKR6E-11 the gap should be 1.1 mm.

post-5338-1373870290_thumb.jpg

Photo of No.1 cylinder spark plug is below, and the gap measured is 1.18 mm

post-5338-1373870412_thumb.jpg

Photo of No.2 cylinder spark plug is below, and the gap measured is 1.19 mm

post-5338-1373870451_thumb.jpg

Photo of No.3 cylinder spark plug is below, and the gap measured is 1.18 mm

post-5338-1373870495_thumb.jpg

Photo of No.4 cylinder spark plug is below, and the gap measured is 1.20 mm

post-5338-1373870525_thumb.jpg

I visually inspected the tips using 10x magnifier, and noticed that No.1 ~ No.3 spark plugs the edge of the tips looks slightly rounded. No.4 spark plug tip looks the least rounded but gap is the biggest. Grounding condition looks less deteriorated than the tips for all the spark plugs.

Conclusion: normal "copper" spark plugs can go 30,000 km on my engine without any issues, but to take it to 40,000 km is a bit pushing it. I think 30k km is the limit for my car.

↡ Advertisement

i changed mine out last week at 30K.......after I felt acceleration sluggish....condition looks worse than yours and some even got rusty............ [:(]

i changed mine out last week at 30K.......after I felt acceleration sluggish....condition looks worse than yours and some even got rusty............ [:(]

You also using BKR6E-11? What type of engine?

How can rust set in on the spark plug if the vehicle is driven every day? [confused]

Your engine made of cast iron block?

I don't encounter rusts on aluminum engine block, but cast iron, yup rusts will set in even before 10K mileage.

Hi all,

This is an update further to my post on NGK BKR6E-11 (a.k.a V-Power) condition at 30k km usage.

Ref: http://www.mycarforum.com/index.php?showto...spark*&st=0

Recently I just changed out this new sets of "Copper" spark plug (NGK BKR6E-11) with 40,000 km usage. Price for each spark plug is only S$3.50 and it can last 40km without symptom of mis-firing, difficulties in starting, etc. I only felt acceleration a bit sluggish at it approaches 40k km.

Below is the photos of the 4nos spark plugs.

I took the gap measurement using feeler gauge. According to specifiction, brand new NGK BKR6E-11 the gap should be 1.1 mm.

Photo of No.1 cylinder spark plug is below, and the gap measured is 1.18 mm

Photo of No.2 cylinder spark plug is below, and the gap measured is 1.19 mm

Photo of No.3 cylinder spark plug is below, and the gap measured is 1.18 mm

Photo of No.4 cylinder spark plug is below, and the gap measured is 1.20 mm

I visually inspected the tips using 10x magnifier, and noticed that No.1 ~ No.3 spark plugs the edge of the tips looks slightly rounded. No.4 spark plug tip looks the least rounded but gap is the biggest. Grounding condition looks less deteriorated than the tips for all the spark plugs.

Conclusion: normal "copper" spark plugs can go 30,000 km on my engine without any issues, but to take it to 40,000 km is a bit pushing it. I think 30k km is the limit for my car.

I also using this plug fr my Optra. Manufacturer recommend to change at 20K km so I just dump n change every 20K km cos ty r cheap at $3.50 ea and a fresh set of plugs always feels like yr engine just had a tune-up. [thumbsup]

BTW I only use made in Japan or Korea plugs. I tried Thai n Indon plugs b4 but still feel safer with Jap n Korean. Never use Msia made plugs.

BTW Chevy stockist selling the same heat range Korea plugs fr abt $6.50 ea which is a rip off so I get from Fong Tat (Nissan) at only $3.50 for Jap made.

All Chevy owners take note. Items sold outside tru stockists (Song He, He Xing etc) that get supply from Alpine r mostly overpriced. Get from // importers or non-Chevy packaged.

How can rust set in on the spark plug if the vehicle is driven every day? [confused]

His car dun use petrol. It uses water. Hahaha. [laugh]

yup...I using the same plug.........is a chevrolet optra estate.........1.6A.... [:)]

yah I also surprise when I was removing them............it was so tight i had to dip in a few drop of engine oil to loosen them.......when I manage to take them out............all black and dry..........the upper treads brown and dusty..........I drive everyday and clock abt 30000km a year leh.... [:(]

first time this happens in the last 3 years......... :wacko: :wacko:

Your engine made of cast iron block?

I don't encounter rusts on aluminum engine block, but cast iron, yup rusts will set in even before 10K mileage.

yah...........google said the engine block is made of cast iron..........block head however is made of alloy..........but I never have this issue before in the last 3 years with the car..........mayb because i always changed the plugs out at 20000km.........this time I left them there till 30000K............ [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

His car dun use petrol. It uses water. Hahaha. [laugh]

must be the damn farking JB petrol...............knn they must have added water to the cheap petrol........... [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

If $3.50 per plug is the norm, but if we ask workshop to change : they charge normally $27 ?

14 for 4 plugs, the rest prob labour. Not too diff to change yourself if you have the tool.

I also using this plug fr my Optra. Manufacturer recommend to change at 20K km so I just dump n change every 20K km cos ty r cheap at $3.50 ea and a fresh set of plugs always feels like yr engine just had a tune-up. [thumbsup]

BTW I only use made in Japan or Korea plugs. I tried Thai n Indon plugs b4 but still feel safer with Jap n Korean. Never use Msia made plugs.

BTW Chevy stockist selling the same heat range Korea plugs fr abt $6.50 ea which is a rip off so I get from Fong Tat (Nissan) at only $3.50 for Jap made.

All Chevy owners take note. Items sold outside tru stockists (Song He, He Xing etc) that get supply from Alpine r mostly overpriced. Get from // importers or non-Chevy packaged.

Mine also comes in packaging with the word "Nissan" on it, despite its NGK spark plug.

Mine also comes in packaging with the word "Nissan" on it, despite its NGK spark plug.

same.............I bought from simon also......... :D

Condensation takes place once the heated engine cool down and some of the moisture will seep into the spark plug threaded space.

Yes many pple dun know.

As long as the plug is the same heat range it can b used.

Alpine sells their stuff at a super high mark-up [:|] . Those stockists who get stock from Alpine also hv to sell at higher prices. Abt 30-40% more ex then the // importers.

Now I dun buy my Optra stuff from Song He, He Xing etc. I get from // importers at a much lower price. [thumbsup]

must be the damn farking JB petrol...............knn they must have added water to the cheap petrol........... [laugh]

JB petrol station dun add water to their petrol.

Ty add petrol to their water n sell us at petrol prices. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Maybe thats why my car always sputter n jerk immediately after I pump petrol in JB? [:(]

↡ Advertisement