Army regular found dead in SAF training area

Little_prince

I know. I am from MTR.

In his case, he lan lan has to take the ride prob bec someone with more chocolate bars told him to mount up. So to make the best of a crappy situation, belt up and helmet on. Or else, throw the TSR at the higher up and refuse to get in.

I mean if that was an actual operational scenario, kpkb and refuse to get in, even if that was your only ride out?

I know you AP guys damn siong (esp the OVM stuff and AP tools) when attached to your AI combat teams. Was doing OVM during my NSF and it's a pain when issuing store to AP platoon.

In my vehicle, helmets must be on when vehicle is in motion. Seat belts, I know at least 2 of my guys buy into my message about safety.

Timing wise, I always make allowances for safety. I am an NSF and so are the rest of my crew, my job firstly is to make sure they come home alive and kicking and training comes in a close second. As long as the gist of the training sinks in, it's good enough for me.

After that incident in the mid-late 90s during Wallaby involving an M113 and a personnel of another vehicle, I don't know why but that incident had a rather big impact on me and how I viewed training safety.

wah, so you are 51, i 52... which unit were you in?

talk about our stores... really dunno what to say, all the pick axe, AT mine, mine signs, demo charges, sandbags, and the list goes on and on. Can you imagine that we sometimes went flanking with the AI teams with monkey ramps and 1.8m iron pickets? Curse the OC for planning it that way  [smash]

For the timing, we also want to buffer. But sometimes cannot leh. E.g. ops orders said friendly troops doing retrograde, my platoon supposed to station at point A, the open ground of a junction surrounded by thick vegetation (so vehicles cannot bypass). Our mission is supposed to build a mine cluster covering the whole area, and planned to start at 1500 hr after the second last platoon of our friendly troop cross the junction when withdrawing. There will be support fire to cover us (bluff us that we're safe) when building the mine cluster... We are supposed to keep a vehicular lane open for the last platoon to retreat at 1600 hr, then we arm the mines and seal the fence, then withdraw...

Plan good, but for whatever reason, the 2nd last platoon delayed 30 min, leaving us with only 30 min to do one hour's job as the last platoon cannot hold out much longer... enemy troops closing in... 

Like this cannot go and tell the enemy give chance, dun advance and pressure us so much so slow down leh...  [grin]

Under such circumstances, the PC, OC and maybe CO all pressure pressure. Wah lao, si mi pattern also chut liao lor...  :XD:

What Wallaby incident was it, and when did it happen?

Agreed.

AI never wear seatbelts... the M113 is cramped enough inside, everyone need to stretch here and there to get comfortable... and usually seatbeat is taped up or muddy.

But helmet sometimes yes, if they know they may have to dismount anytime.

ha ha ha... we only start wearing when driver starts to ramp down  [:p]

↡ Advertisement

You armour folks are really  [thumbsup]  [thumbsup]  [thumbsup] . RESPECT!!!

Imagine fighting in a claustrophobic environment and facing enemies equipped with all sorts of AT weapons against your vehicle. Heck even a lowly private soldier armed with LAW can take out lightly armoured AFVs such as dinosaur M113s. 

Not to mention also kena from APDS shots from MBTs or AT-missiles from choppers/fixed wing assets. 

Watched many war movies and seems dying in a burning AFV is the worst way to go...Fury is a good though gross movie for those who want to know more about this aspect.

Only time folks envy you guys is probably during an arty attack. All that thick slab of steel or other protective materials surrounding the crew sure beats the heck of the open environment facing infantry blokes out there.  

Of course tracked or wheeled platform is a good way to move around as compared to walking with heavy loads in the sun/rain.

That said, I would rather take my chances as a riflemen (which I was trained) then to be a tankee.

[wave]

Dun remind me leh... last time innocent, never worried about danger. There are many many things that can make us mati if real fight lah...

But you're right that it has its advantage. Before i went armour conversion, was carrying all our engineer stores walking kilometres for MTC in Thailand, sometimes had to double-up when trainer said we're behind time... Then when went armour, late liao just said 'Driver, speed up'!  [laugh]

Turbocharged

You armour folks are really  [thumbsup]  [thumbsup]  [thumbsup] . RESPECT!!!

Imagine fighting in a claustrophobic environment and facing enemies equipped with all sorts of AT weapons against your vehicle. Heck even a lowly private soldier armed with LAW can take out lightly armoured AFVs such as dinosaur M113s

Not to mention also kena from APDS shots from MBTs or AT-missiles from choppers/fixed wing assets. 

Watched many war movies and seems dying in a burning AFV is the worst way to go...Fury is a good though gross movie for those who want to know more about this aspect.

Only time folks envy you guys is probably during an arty attack. All that thick slab of steel or other protective materials surrounding the crew sure beats the heck of the open environment facing infantry blokes out there.  

Of course tracked or wheeled platform is a good way to move around as compared to walking with heavy loads in the sun/rain.

That said, I would rather take my chances as a riflemen (which I was trained) then to be a tankee.

[wave]

I rather be AI than the usual infantry. Your knees will thank you for it.

M113 doesn't offer much in terms of protection. A 7.62 GPMG supposedly can penetrate the aluminum skin of the M113 if the gunner whacks the same spot.

I heard from trainer about how the GIs line the floorboard of their M113 with sandbags because of mines during the VN war.

Turbocharged

wah, so you are 51, i 52... which unit were you in?

talk about our stores... really dunno what to say, all the pick axe, AT mine, mine signs, demo charges, sandbags, and the list goes on and on. Can you imagine that we sometimes went flanking with the AI teams with monkey ramps and 1.8m iron pickets? Curse the OC for planning it that way  [smash]

For the timing, we also want to buffer. But sometimes cannot leh. E.g. ops orders said friendly troops doing retrograde, my platoon supposed to station at point A, the open ground of a junction surrounded by thick vegetation (so vehicles cannot bypass). Our mission is supposed to build a mine cluster covering the whole area, and planned to start at 1500 hr after the second last platoon of our friendly troop cross the junction when withdrawing. There will be support fire to cover us (bluff us that we're safe) when building the mine cluster... We are supposed to keep a vehicular lane open for the last platoon to retreat at 1600 hr, then we arm the mines and seal the fence, then withdraw...

Plan good, but for whatever reason, the 2nd last platoon delayed 30 min, leaving us with only 30 min to do one hour's job as the last platoon cannot hold out much longer... enemy troops closing in... 

Like this cannot go and tell the enemy give chance, dun advance and pressure us so much so slow down leh...  [grin]

Under such circumstances, the PC, OC and maybe CO all pressure pressure. Wah lao, si mi pattern also chut liao lor...  :XD:

What Wallaby incident was it, and when did it happen?

ha ha ha... we only start wearing when driver starts to ramp down  [:p]

40SAR. Keat Hong Camp.

I ever ask my AP platoon specs. Can mindf**k with the enemy forces?

Dig but don't lay mines but to the enemy looks  like got signs of mine laying. Then further away dig and lay randomly such that the advancing party miss the mines but the main body kena. Then lay a few decoy ones again. Lull them into complacency. Then after the 7th field is the real mine field. After that, no one from the enemy dare to make the call to advance without a thorough sweep liao.   :XD:

40SAR. Keat Hong Camp.

Dig but don't lay mines but to the enemy looks like got signs of mine laying. Then further away dig and lay randomly such that the advancing party miss the mines but the main body kena. Then lay a few decoy ones again. Lull them into complacency. Then after the 7th field is the real mine field. After that, no one from the enemy dare to make the call to advance without a thorough sweep liao. :XD:

Hey hey, i also from 40. 3rd mono intake 1995

Turbocharged

Hey hey, i also from 40. 3rd mono intake 1995

I think we did ascertain this some time back. Time to up your gingko pills dosage...

40SAR. Keat Hong Camp.

Dig but don't lay mines but to the enemy looks  like got signs of mine laying. Then further away dig and lay randomly such that the advancing party miss the mines but the main body kena. Then lay a few decoy ones again. Lull them into complacency. Then after the 7th field is the real mine field. After that, no one from the enemy dare to make the call to advance without a thorough sweep liao.   :XD:

i one day dun dare reply, as got pple complained we OT from the thread  [smash]

But to your question/suggestion, cannot lah...

By right, minefield also got international rules. The most impt is must fence up (to warn everyone it's a minefield) instead of just hide mines there and dun let pple know. 

Then, can anyhow dig and lay - remember that the minefield got strategic purpose, which is normally to slow enemy down, or force them to detour (also slowing them down).

If later on, either war over, or plans changed, and now our friendly troop need to use that junction/area, then problem lai liao. It could be years down the road. Then if you had anyhow laid, hor sei liao... how to clear it?

When laying minefield, actually need to draw out the exact plans (incl location of mines) and keep it, for use later when need to clear it. Else, friendly troop (or yourself, in fact) clearing sure got casualty  [knife]

I always think people in these vehicles don't get motion sickness one meh... Must feel like a boat in a storm.

Plus diesel smell

Not only those. Add to it the desert dust that will envelope the whole place (incl. inside the vehicle), and you surely respect us for being able to survive 2 yr+ (plus 13 yr reservist) that way...

i also dun know how we came through that  [cool]

i one day dun dare reply, as got pple complained we OT from the thread  [smash]

But to your question/suggestion, cannot lah...

By right, minefield also got international rules. The most impt is must fence up (to warn everyone it's a minefield) instead of just hide mines there and dun let pple know. 

Then, can anyhow dig and lay - remember that the minefield got strategic purpose, which is normally to slow enemy down, or force them to detour (also slowing them down).

If later on, either war over, or plans changed, and now our friendly troop need to use that junction/area, then problem lai liao. It could be years down the road. Then if you had anyhow laid, hor sei liao... how to clear it?

When laying minefield, actually need to draw out the exact plans (incl location of mines) and keep it, for use later when need to clear it. Else, friendly troop (or yourself, in fact) clearing sure got casualty  [knife]

Not only those. Add to it the desert dust that will envelope the whole place (incl. inside the vehicle), and you surely respect us for being able to survive 2 yr+ (plus 13 yr reservist) that way...

i also dun know how we came through that  [cool]

confess... how many times you ever throw up..:)

confess... how many times you ever throw up..:)

wah lao, we were so seasoned. never happened lah.

the closest we (and it was all of us) came near throwing up was the first (and only) time someone in the section brought sardines out for overnight field exercise when we were on combat ration - and followed law diligently by not disposing of rubbish any old how, and kept the empty cans inside the vehicle.

Next day, the smell  :sick:  :a-t9412:  [sweatdrop]

and i told them sardines forever banned in the vehicle...

Turbocharged

wah lao, we were so seasoned. never happened lah.

the closest we (and it was all of us) came near throwing up was the first (and only) time someone in the section brought sardines out for overnight field exercise when we were on combat ration - and followed law diligently by not disposing of rubbish any old how, and kept the empty cans inside the vehicle.

Next day, the smell  :sick:  :a-t9412:  [sweatdrop]

and i told them sardines forever banned in the vehicle...

Don't remind me. Sardines are banned from my M113.

While on ex at Tekong, this kotek first meal (lunch) outfield open sardine can...by 3.30pm, every time he prone next to someone sure kenna f upside down by that someone.

In the end, kenna arrow to be SAW gunner until end of ex. Bec SAW gunner always the furthest away when kenna contacted and the last man when patrolling in a file.  

Another army regular found dead at Chong Pang Camp ..... :a-rip:

Yahoo :  SAF serviceman pronounced dead after being found unconscious in Chong Pang camp 

A Singapore Armed Forces (SAF) regular serviceman was pronounced dead in hospital after he was found unconscious at the foot of a building in Chong Pang camp on Wednesday morning, the Ministry of Defence (Mindef) said in a media release.

Medics arrived on site at 11.26am and began resuscitative efforts. The serviceman was shortly evacuated via an SAF ambulance to Khoo Teck Puat Hospital (KTPH).  The serviceman was pronounced dead at 11.50am at KTPH.

Mindef and the SAF extend their deepest condolences to the family of the late serviceman.

The SAF is assisting the serviceman’s family and investigating the incident. A police investigation will be conducted.

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/saf-serviceman-pronounced-dead-after-being-found-unconscious-in-chong-pang-camp-145600706.html

Army chin stress .. :a-confused:

Edited by Picnic06-Biante15

I've not gone into any AI vehicle during training...

but in my own, ha ha... spot on - seat belt might not even be wrapped (had to use masking tape to tape it up during inspection), so no need talk about buckled up...

As for helmet, well what happens is this:

- if just after flanking, whole body perspiring, confirmed, guaranteed, chopped, stamped helmet off.

- if vehicle moving, wind blowing (= conducive for coma session), then there is good chance will put on helmet, close eyes, and let the head shake here turn there, etc. This way, even if knock against the vehicle or any other stuff, also won't feel (much) pain. [laugh]

This show you are still newbies come to m113. Vehicle on the move..just hook one arm 90 degree..can rest your head and close eyes. As for other vocation..just find/squeeze some spot and lie down. The law tube act as pillow.

As for dismount...when shouting sounded ram door down..you has ample time to look for another/helmet and weapon. Of course must ask your driver to gently lower door.

Actually before the AI troopers can be operational, need to pass the required test, which include vehicle drills. So it's actually against TSR for someone not trained, to be stationed in the M113.

And yes, always start with by right, all swee swee one...

I'm not AI, but AP, so we deal with a lot of engineer stores. When rushed for time already, anything also can happen: if need to build mine field, vehicle can be loaded with lots of anti-tank mines. If need build wire obstacles, can have wires inside lor (and we're not talking about just 1 or 2 only that can be strapped to the front). Always wait for 3-tonners sure fail missions...

come to think of it, last time damn garang... if now, forget it... [shakehead]

TSR for book only. Whenever someone tire from standing up..we just kick our leg. The law will assume the gpmg role. I even has my saw as VC while I take a good short nap. Hahaha

I know. I am from MTR.

In his case, he lan lan has to take the ride prob bec someone with more chocolate bars told him to mount up. So to make the best of a crappy situation, belt up and helmet on. Or else, throw the TSR at the higher up and refuse to get in.

I mean if that was an actual operational scenario, kpkb and refuse to get in, even if that was your only ride out?

I know you AP guys damn siong (esp the OVM stuff and AP tools) when attached to your AI combat teams. Was doing OVM during my NSF and it's a pain when issuing store to AP platoon.

In my vehicle, helmets must be on when vehicle is in motion. Seat belts, I know at least 2 of my guys buy into my message about safety.

Timing wise, I always make allowances for safety. I am an NSF and so are the rest of my crew, my job firstly is to make sure they come home alive and kicking and training comes in a close second. As long as the gist of the training sinks in, it's good enough for me.

After that incident in the mid-late 90s during Wallaby involving an M113 and a personnel of another vehicle, I don't know why but that incident had a rather big impact on me and how I viewed training safety.

You must be A Level batch read business time and strait time. Me and mates all read sin Ming and wan bao.

Poor guy must be so depressed as reported to resort to suicide as the ultimate option.

R.I.P. soldier :a-rip: 

SAF regular found at Sembawang Camp died of gunshot wound: Coroner’s inquiry

Pravinraj Selvaraj, 20, was found dead in a toilet at Sembawang Camp in 2015.

By Vanessa Paige Chelvan

Posted 19 Jan 2017 13:32

Updated 19 Jan 2017 13:40

SINGAPORE:

An SAF regular serviceman found dead in Sembawang Camp in 2015 had died of a gunshot wound, a coroner’s inquiry heard on Thursday (Jan 19).

An autopsy showed that 20-year-old Pravinraj Selvaraj had likely placed his rifle in his mouth before pulling the trigger.

The inquiry heard Pravinraj was diagnosed with depression and acute stress reaction by psychiatrists from the Institute of Mental Health in August and September 2011. Both times, he cited family issues as the reason.

Pravinraj, whose parents are divorced and has two younger brothers, had a strained relationship with his family, the court heard. After his death, his mother admitted that Pravinraj had “yearned for family affection but neither received it from her nor (his father)”.

During an interview in 2013, Pravinraj’s supervisor said the teen had expressed interest in signing on as a regular serviceman, and had asked if accommodation could be provided for him. Pravinraj’s friends told investigators he sometimes slept at void decks and staircase landings, due to family troubles.

On the morning of Nov 21, 2015, Pravinraj and his partner were issued rifles upon reporting for guard duty at Sembawang Camp. The pair were also given two magazines, one loaded and one empty.

At 2.30pm, Pravinraj said he had to use the toilet. His partner waited outside for about 10 minutes before calling out to Pravinraj, who said he needed more time.

Two minutes later, the partner heard “a loud explosion” and ran into the toilet, shouting for Pravinraj. There was no response. He saw bloodstains on the ceiling and immediately alerted his superiors.

The police and Singapore Civil Defence Force were called in, and they unlocked the cubicle door to find Pravinraj slumped on the floor with his rifle and a crumpled piece of paper between his legs.

The note said Pravinraj had left a message on an app on his mobile phone. Officers found on his phone a lengthy suicide note in which he left his belongings to his best friend and told his girlfriend he loved her.

Investigations revealed Pravinraj had sent a picture of five bullets to five of his closest friends hours before he died, Assistant Superintendent Arun Guruswamy said. A forensic examination of his mobile phone also found he had browsed suicide-related websites.

State Coroner Marvin Bay will deliver his findings on Thursday afternoon.  

- CNA/cy

(Source: http://www.mycarforum.com/index.php?app=forums&module=post&section=post&do=reply_post&f=15&t=2689886 )

Poor guy must be so depressed as reported to resort to suicide as the ultimate option.

R.I.P. soldier :a-rip: 

SAF regular found at Sembawang Camp died of gunshot wound: Coroner’s inquiry

Pravinraj Selvaraj, 20, was found dead in a toilet at Sembawang Camp in 2015.

By Vanessa Paige Chelvan

Posted 19 Jan 2017 13:32

Updated 19 Jan 2017 13:40

SINGAPORE:

An SAF regular serviceman found dead in Sembawang Camp in 2015 had died of a gunshot wound, a coroner’s inquiry heard on Thursday (Jan 19).

An autopsy showed that 20-year-old Pravinraj Selvaraj had likely placed his rifle in his mouth before pulling the trigger.

The inquiry heard Pravinraj was diagnosed with depression and acute stress reaction by psychiatrists from the Institute of Mental Health in August and September 2011. Both times, he cited family issues as the reason.

Pravinraj, whose parents are divorced and has two younger brothers, had a strained relationship with his family, the court heard. After his death, his mother admitted that Pravinraj had “yearned for family affection but neither received it from her nor (his father)”.

During an interview in 2013, Pravinraj’s supervisor said the teen had expressed interest in signing on as a regular serviceman, and had asked if accommodation could be provided for him. Pravinraj’s friends told investigators he sometimes slept at void decks and staircase landings, due to family troubles.

On the morning of Nov 21, 2015, Pravinraj and his partner were issued rifles upon reporting for guard duty at Sembawang Camp. The pair were also given two magazines, one loaded and one empty.

At 2.30pm, Pravinraj said he had to use the toilet. His partner waited outside for about 10 minutes before calling out to Pravinraj, who said he needed more time.

Two minutes later, the partner heard “a loud explosion” and ran into the toilet, shouting for Pravinraj. There was no response. He saw bloodstains on the ceiling and immediately alerted his superiors.

The police and Singapore Civil Defence Force were called in, and they unlocked the cubicle door to find Pravinraj slumped on the floor with his rifle and a crumpled piece of paper between his legs.

The note said Pravinraj had left a message on an app on his mobile phone. Officers found on his phone a lengthy suicide note in which he left his belongings to his best friend and told his girlfriend he loved her.

Investigations revealed Pravinraj had sent a picture of five bullets to five of his closest friends hours before he died, Assistant Superintendent Arun Guruswamy said. A forensic examination of his mobile phone also found he had browsed suicide-related websites.

State Coroner Marvin Bay will deliver his findings on Thursday afternoon.  

- CNA/cy

(Source: http://www.mycarforum.com/index.php?app=forums&module=post&section=post&do=reply_post&f=15&t=2689886 )

The description of how he did it sounds exactly like the suicide scene in the movie Full Metal jacket. 

Edited by Loki
↡ Advertisement