Traffic offences by heavy-vehicle drivers up 16%

Darthrevan

ST_20130717_JCHEAVY17Q4P9_3748807e.jpg

More heavy-vehicle drivers seem to be getting reckless on Singapore's roads.

Latest Traffic Police statistics revealed to The Straits Times show that the number of traffic violations committed by them has risen by 15.6 per cent in the past three years, from 10,882 in 2010 to 12,583 last year.

Common offences include failing to wear seat belts, speeding and failing to drive on the leftmost lane of the expressway, a spokesman said.

Accidents involving heavy vehicles accounted for about 9 per cent of the total number of accidents in the past three years.

Source: http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-news/...ers-16-20130717

↡ Advertisement

Really high time the authorities start doing something about this. I am seeing it occur on an a daily basis.

Agree with both hands and legs up.

But then, those businesses will start to kpkb again and you see the enforcement lax again and everything back to square one or worse. [bigcry]

Supersonic
Accidents involving heavy vehicles accounted for about 9 per cent of the total number of accidents in the past three years.

Perhaps, we should look at the 91 per cent of the accidents.

• Praise 1

(edited)

More heavy-vehicle drivers seem to be getting reckless on Singapore's roads.

Latest Traffic Police statistics revealed to The Straits Times show that the number of traffic violations committed by them has risen by 15.6 per cent in the past three years, from 10,882 in 2010 to 12,583 last year.

Common offences include failing to wear seat belts, speeding and failing to drive on the leftmost lane of the expressway, a spokesman said.

Source: http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-news/...ers-16-20130717

The ones highlighted in red. As if other drivers wear seat belts all the time, public bus is also a heavy vehicle, why bus drivers do not need to wear seat belts? Double standards. As if they are the only ones speeding. As if road hoggers of all pattern keep to the left.

As long as a human being is behind the wheel, the faults are pretty much the same. Why go point at the kettle and call it black?

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 1

How many of us have had heavy vehicles tailgating us or speeding past us at illegal speeds and shuddered at the thought of what could happen if one of them were to lose control...

How many of us have had heavy vehicles tailgating us or speeding past us at illegal speeds and shuddered at the thought of what could happen if one of them were to lose control...

Speeding will enable the truck drivers to make more trips and earn more coz the bosses pay them per trip.

There should be a cap on the allowable max number of trips per day for regular routes. The safety and lives of the public cannot be compromised just because some of these truckers drive recklessly to earn more.

Neutral Newbie

That is really a bad news in different part of the world there are also many driver that do traffic offenses.In Finland a simply parking is issue for most of the driver that's why most of the people there is going in a pys

Really high time the authorities start doing something about this. I am seeing it occur on an a daily basis.

Agreed. I recall that one time I saw a small lorry chionging on the PIE at least 100 when the speed label on the back says 70

Just on Wednesday afternoon, I was on the ECP and saw the notice that Changi Exit was closed. When I went past it, a tipper truck was on its side and all the soil had spilled out onto the grass patch beside. Driver turning too fast and lost control of vehicle?

We are overly congested in my honest opinion.

Given that, safety of fellow road users are of paramount importance and should not be compromised.

Speeding will enable the truck drivers to make more trips and earn more coz the bosses pay them per trip.

There should be a cap on the allowable max number of trips per day for regular routes. The safety and lives of the public cannot be compromised just because some of these truckers drive recklessly to earn more.

Then who and how should the enforcement authorities monitor such a cap on the max number of trips?

↡ Advertisement