Etiqa Insurance

Luvalive

As above, boleh?

Etiqa offered me the lowest premium at $1933.30 and excess at $350, followed by DirectAsia.com at $2126.64 with excess at $600 and lastly SHC Insurance at $2263.32 with excess at $500. I'll be taking over a 2005 Chevrolet Optra 1.6A as its 4th owner, OMV about $13k. I'm 27, married with 1 kid, never claim (or kanna claimed) before, NCD 0%.

The car is in mostly stock condition, although I'm not sure if its rims are original or aftermarket. My concern is that I will likely be changing the headlights to HID, as well as installing a pair of fog lights and changing the horn to sound that of marques from European/American companies. I understand these are not LTA-legal but please don't flame me, I just hope that these wouldn't be any issues when it comes to claims.

Please share your experiences with Etiqa mainly, because I think I should be going for the cheapest deal but would like to know more as to what I'm signing up for with Etiqa. Google did not unravel much information about this insurance company.

Any valuable inputs would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Benson Wong

↡ Advertisement

As above, boleh?

Etiqa offered me the lowest premium at $1933.30 and excess at $350, followed by DirectAsia.com at $2126.64 with excess at $600 and lastly SHC Insurance at $2263.32 with excess at $500. I'll be taking over a 2005 Chevrolet Optra 1.6A as its 4th owner, OMV about $13k. I'm 27, married with 1 kid, never claim (or kanna claimed) before, NCD 0%.

The car is in mostly stock condition, although I'm not sure if its rims are original or aftermarket. My concern is that I will likely be changing the headlights to HID, as well as installing a pair of fog lights and changing the horn to sound that of marques from European/American companies. I understand these are not LTA-legal but please don't flame me, I just hope that these wouldn't be any issues when it comes to claims.

Please share your experiences with Etiqa mainly, because I think I should be going for the cheapest deal but would like to know more as to what I'm signing up for with Etiqa. Google did not unravel much information about this insurance company.

Thank you,

Benson Wong

Suggest you to please check directly with Etiqa if they accept modifications or not. Better still if you can get a black-and-white from them. After all, they are the ones who will decide if claim is payable, not people who give their opinion in MCF.

What's your driving experience?

Paying such a huge premium for a normal sedan is hard to swallow.

When I was 29, I'm driving a 2.3l TC car which cost me $2200 ($3500 excess) & I have an opinion to pay $2800 ($500).

As above, boleh?

Thank you,

Benson Wong

you can try India International Insurance, the most cheap one in singapre,

my 2008 Chevrolet Optra 1.6M, after 50% NCD around S$700, cannot remamber exactly how much

(edited)

Any forms of modifications are all frowned upon by all insurers. If you looked into the contracts T&Cs, these are shaped towards their favor. For insurers, spend a few hundreds more to get from the reputable ones is money well spent (i.e. NTUC, aviva, tokio marine, axa, etc). Of course, some insurers tend to charge more for certain makes (esp. when they don't 'specialize' in then). I.e. from my experience, axa tends to provide better quote for more sporty makes and while others charge higher because they perhaps have less user base and has higher risk exposure..

And yes, to TS, you ought to be flamed for changing to HID lights, in particular to aftermarket HID lights and also when they are positioned inappropriately. They shine and glare the hell out of other drivers, and really a hazard and irritiant on the road. Factory lights are more tahn capable of showing the way forward...

Edited by Sforester

What's your driving experience?

Paying such a huge premium for a normal sedan is hard to swallow.

When I was 29, I'm driving a 2.3l TC car which cost me $2200 ($3500 excess) & I have an opinion to pay $2800 ($500).

I got my driving license back in 2005. In fact I'm thankful that I can get a quote that is sub-2k! I have been more or less accustomed to the idea that I will need to pay 3k to get my auto insurance lol.

you can try India International Insurance, the most cheap one in singapre,

my 2008 Chevrolet Optra 1.6M, after 50% NCD around S$700, cannot remamber exactly how much

None of the brokers that I went to recommended India Insurance to me. Can you refer me to your agent? I have PM-ed you. Thanks.

Eh after evaluating all the insurers, I went to confirm my intention to insure with Etiqa. For some reasons, their final quote becomes $2148.11. Is this normal? Can anyone advice why the increment?

So far I have not received any negative feedback regarding Etiqa, so I'm hoping that they are not smelly type like Aviva and Directasia.com (based on what I heard).

Eh after evaluating all the insurers, I went to confirm my intention to insure with Etiqa. For some reasons, their final quote becomes $2148.11. Is this normal? Can anyone advice why the increment?

So far I have not received any negative feedback regarding Etiqa, so I'm hoping that they are not smelly type like Aviva and Directasia.com (based on what I heard).

Probably additional cover for theft/fire? Maybe also replacement for loss of use.. better clarify with them.

I have been using Aviva even when I was working in the UK. Personal experience is that they are professional and helpful [nod] . Can't speak for others.

2 years later how was this insurance. As it was the cheapest that quoted me. 

A question to all for opinion

I am a foreigner with 25 years of driving experience in Europe, USA and Asia.

I recently bought a car in Singapore , insurance with AIG. 

I have asked them to consider my overseas driving record so as not to start me with 0% discount for NCD.  I am surprise they say NO.

I am not expecting them to start me with 50% the max like I have back home, but surely not to start me with zero as entry .... they would have consider starting me with 10% off NCD.

Any opinion that I have a case to appeal with AIG ?

A question to all for opinion

I am a foreigner with 25 years of driving experience in Europe, USA and Asia.

I recently bought a car in Singapore , insurance with AIG. 

I have asked them to consider my overseas driving record so as not to start me with 0% discount for NCD.  I am surprise they say NO.

I am not expecting them to start me with 50% the max like I have back home, but surely not to start me with zero as entry .... they would have consider starting me with 10% off NCD.

Any opinion that I have a case to appeal with AIG ?

try speaking to them, ask for someone more senior or change insurer next year...

https://www.aviva.com.sg/customer-care/faqs/

A: Please email your NCD letter from the previous insurer to [email protected] for our consideration.

Foreigners and expatriates living in Singapore may be entitled to a NCD, if you can provide a letter from your last insurance company stating that you've been insured over the last 12 months and the number of "claim-free" years.

Q: I am a foreigner working in Singapore. How can I transfer my NCD from the vehicle in my home country to the new vehicle I bought in Singapore? A:

You need to provide us an original letter from your motor insurer in your home country. The letter should state the number of accident-free years whilst insured with them.

We will evaluate and decide to accept / reject / grant the appropriate percentage of NCD. The maximum NCD we will grant is 50% for private car or 20% for commercial vehicle or motorcycle.

try speaking to them, ask for someone more senior or change insurer next year...

https://www.aviva.com.sg/customer-care/faqs/

A: Please email your NCD letter from the previous insurer to [email protected] for our consideration.

Foreigners and expatriates living in Singapore may be entitled to a NCD, if you can provide a letter from your last insurance company stating that you've been insured over the last 12 months and the number of "claim-free" years.

Q: I am a foreigner working in Singapore. How can I transfer my NCD from the vehicle in my home country to the new vehicle I bought in Singapore? A:

You need to provide us an original letter from your motor insurer in your home country. The letter should state the number of accident-free years whilst insured with them.

We will evaluate and decide to accept / reject / grant the appropriate percentage of NCD. The maximum NCD we will grant is 50% for private car or 20% for commercial vehicle or motorcycle.

Thank you very much. 

I share the same thinking like you and are now in talk with AIG

I blame my sales person at C&C for not trying hard enuff ...

Thank you very much. 

I share the same thinking like you and are now in talk with AIG

I blame my sales person at C&C for not trying hard enuff ...

oh you buy direct from C&C.. the ADs here usually have a tie up with insurers for their new cars... that is why they also give you some form of discount when you take up insurance with them..... if you don't take up insurance through the AD... you will have to forfeit the discount which means you will have to pay a couple of hundreds more....

so actually it is a zero sum game

An incident to share with all.

I appealed with AIG to take into consideration of my foreign driving record that I am enjoying 65% NCD in Europe.  This motor insurance is still active in Europe as we speak.

AIG ridiculous / rigid justifications were : 

1. NCD can only be earned

2. In order to consider my overseas clean driving record, I have to terminate it (in Europe)

I told them I cannot terminate it as I am still driving in Europe.

Driving without a valid insurance in an illegal offense.

I explained that I am not expecting AIG to start me with 50% NCD.  But to take into account the followings and start me with 10%

1. I have more than 20 years of driving experience

2. My Europe car insurance can prove that I am enjoy 65% NCD as clean record

3. Loyalty that I have been with AIG for the past 2 years

4. PLUS my car insurance bundle with home insurance

Their HARD POLICY that was "cast on stone" is NO.  It is either through earned or I terminate the Europe auto insurance and it can be considered !

My car insurance comes with my purchase with C&C.  I like this policy coz it enables me to have my car repair at  C&C.

I am thinking to terminate this policy but need to find out which other  company enables me to repair my car at C&C than at their DESIGNATED workshops.

Anyone to share ? 

Edited by Innocuous

I think Etiqa does not take a lot of cars and not many insurance brokers carry or do Etiqa unless on special circumstances ??

Base on my impression, it seems like they "choose & pick" cars & customers??

I tried Surf their website & many car models don't have. So, I do not know whether better to apply direct or through a insurance broker.

Haiz.. I guess same in life..need some contacts to get through...

Why must u die-die buy from Etiqa? There are so many choices out there for u and possibly even cheaper!

I think Etiqa does not take a lot of cars and not many insurance brokers carry or do Etiqa unless on special circumstances ??

Base on my impression, it seems like they "choose & pick" cars & customers??

I tried Surf their website & many car models don't have. So, I do not know whether better to apply direct or through a insurance broker.

Haiz.. I guess same in life..need some contacts to get through...

I ask my insurance broker to source for the lowest quote every year.

Last year, the lowest was Etiqa and we went with it. Honestly, i have not heard of them before that...

No claims, and hope no need to ever... so can't comment on their service/claims, etc.