FT ANG MO oso looking for DRIVER job

Yahgo22

When the time comes when we have serious shortage of people driving our taxi or nobody wants to become taxi driver, then trust me next time they will surely open to foreigners as taxi driver. The most valid reason they always give is, we need foreigners to do those job that no one wants to do. http://www.mycarforum.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/rolleyes.gif

Oh pls. We are already going towards driverless taxi, operated by AI. And our garment is serious abt this.

no one will argue who will steal rice bowl. Everyone will be screwed by robots.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Supersonic

What if AL fails?

There are already talks, arguments about laws to control AI and how to protect people against AI stealing people's jobs?

If AI takes over, do we still need so many people in this country then?

He's a singaporean citizen. Welcome to the country.

He's not stealing your job.

This is my personal take.

Stealing may be a harsh word but it is a simple and yet easy to understand word.

This is my observation.

Many Western including South Africa's (White in particular) of the not so high calibre type are making their way to Asia countries to look for work. Their work include drivers (bus and taxi), service industry (Waiters and waitresses) and including the construction industry (Labourers). I have seen them all. There is an upside to this. Many bosses like it. It may be because of our mind-set (colonisation) that Asian customers behave better when they are served by them and are also less demanding and less complain.

However, that said, there must be a difference in treatment between a citizen (new or old) and a non citizen in a country, otherwise, why do citizens sacrifice their lives to protect their country? A native or new citizen is a different issue altogether. Hence, not all jobs need to be protected (partially or wholly) because these jobs like drivers, labourers and the likes are unskilled jobs. There will always be a segment of society who cannot move up the social ladder and to be gainly employed needs these job. Otherwise a spike in crime may occur as individuals or families need to place food on their table.

Personally, I think it is a poor excuse that we can't find locals for the job. Let me put it this way, why are willing to raise the salary of Ministers and top civil servant's salary to be the highest in the world to presumably to attract people to the vocation (disproportionate to think how small our population/country versus salary). If we raised the salary of our drivers to $3000 and up (take home exclude CPF) per month and better working conditions, I am sure many will line up to apply.

In short, stealing in an obtuse manner, yes.

• Praise 1

Stealing may be a harsh word but it is a simple and yet easy to understand word.

This is my observation.

Many Western including South Africa's (White in particular) of the not so high calibre type are making their way to Asia countries to look for work. Their work include drivers (bus and taxi), service industry (Waiters and waitresses) and including the construction industry (Labourers). I have seen them all. There is an upside to this. Many bosses like it. It may be because of our mind-set (colonisation) that Asian customers behave better when they are served by them and are also less demanding and less complain.

However, that said, there must be a difference in treatment between a citizen (new or old) and a non citizen in a country, otherwise, why do citizens sacrifice their lives to protect their country? A native or new citizen is a different issue altogether. Hence, not all jobs need to be protected (partially or wholly) because these jobs like drivers, labourers and the likes are unskilled jobs. There will always be a segment of society who cannot move up the social ladder and to be gainly employed needs these job. Otherwise a spike in crime may occur as individuals or families need to place food on their table.

Personally, I think it is a poor excuse that we can't find locals for the job. Let me put it this way, why are willing to raise the salary of Ministers and top civil servant's salary to be the highest in the world to presumably to attract people to the vocation (disproportionate to think how small our population/country versus salary). If we raised the salary of our drivers to $3000 and up (take home exclude CPF) per month and better working conditions, I am sure many will line up to apply.

How can it be stealing if it was given to him? He came here, applied for citizenship, we gave it to him.

He applied for the bus driver job, it was given to him.

Did he really steal? Did any foreigner really steal our jobs?

I think our problem is that we don't really blame the right people. Instead of blaming the folks who gave the job to him, we blame the person who takes the job  [hur]

Edited by Kusje
  • Praise 4

just becoz CNA can showcase examples... (granted.. definitely much more nice new citizens around)...

what about all those FT here... taking up PR for benefits.. and leaving the country when they got the money? 

what about those that take up million dollar bonuses to play with a bat and a little white ball... and leave? 

how about doing a documentary on these mercenaries? 

sick of propaganda...

• Praise 4

just becoz CNA can showcase examples... (granted.. definitely much more nice new citizens around)...

what about all those FT here... taking up PR for benefits.. and leaving the country when they got the money? 

what about those that take up million dollar bonuses to play with a bat and a little white ball... and leave? 

how about doing a documentary on these mercenaries? 

sick of propaganda...

Mercenaries?

Singaporeans sell our votes for lift upgrading and because we are scared that our hawker centre ceiling will be dirty. We practice an every man for himself approach but when others do the same, you call them merc?

Edited by Kusje
  • Praise 2

This is my observation.

Under current bus contracting model, it is possible to raise bus captain basic pay.  It depends on the willingness of civll servant within relevant authority to push it.

Unfortunately, bus captain is long hour job.  Even with the increase in basic pay, i am not sure whether it will be easier to hire local. 

Ministar is too high up to see all these shits.

• Praise 1

Under current bus contracting model, it is possible to raise bus captain basic pay.  It depends on the willingness of civll servant within relevant authority to push it.

Unfortunately, bus captain is long hour job.  Even with the increase in basic pay, i am not sure whether it will be easier to hire local. 

In a way yes. The long hours on the road meant they have to be exposed to the possibilities of causing/get implicated in traffic accidents. The increase in pay will make the job more attractive to the locals. There must be a possibility of getting higher salaries than with existing roles more acceptable to locals. Indeed, the ministers might need to get down on the ground to see the picture.

How can it be stealing if it was given to him? He came here, applied for citizenship, we gave it to him.

I think our problem is that we don't really blame the right people. Instead of blaming the folks who gave the job to him, we blame the person who takes the job  [hur]

Bro you got a point.

You see in the eyes of the law, if you part of the process then you are charge as guilty.

If your reasoning is completely exclusive true, then how come ducklings like serene wee and the others are also convinced the crime. Shouldn't it be just the leader? The rest just doing their job and following orders like a good employee.

Everyone is important and everyone needs to report if it is wrong and don't follow even if it is wrong.

Just like our human body, if the intestinal and a r s e h o l e don't play ball, and they stop functioning, every part of the body is affect.

• Praise 8

Under current bus contracting model, it is possible to raise bus captain basic pay. It depends on the willingness of civll servant within relevant authority to push it.

Unfortunately, bus captain is long hour job. Even with the increase in basic pay, i am not sure whether it will be easier to hire local.

on top look down and see full of smiling faces :grin:

Under current bus contracting model, it is possible to raise bus captain basic pay. It depends on the willingness of civll servant within relevant authority to push it.

Unfortunately, bus captain is long hour job. Even with the increase in basic pay, i am not sure whether it will be easier to hire local.

on top look down and see full of :grin: faces
  • Praise 1

Twincharged

I think our problem is that we don't really blame the right people. Instead of blaming the folks who gave the job to him, we blame the person who takes the job [hur]

IMO, the blame is on the locals who don't want to take the job and then leave it to be given to others, then KPKB after the job is given to foreigners.
  • Praise 2

Honestly, this is the result of decades of education (or "brainwashing"). "Must study hard, get good jobs". The entire system has been designed to channel Singaporeans into white collar jobs, so obviously nobody that has gone through our education system here wants a job that involves actual physical work.

This is one of the greatest failings of Singapore's policies IMO, in that they have never really thought about who will do the so-called dirty jobs that in actual fact enables the country to run efficiently. If you make everyone bankers or lawyers, nobody will drive the buses, sweep the floors, build your buildings. Then there's a huge void there and you have to utilise measures such as cheap foreign labour, which brings about its own social problems which we are seeing now.

In other countries, people like garbage men, construction workers, bus drivers etc are all highly respected, and more importantly, well-paid (at least enough to make a decent living). Over here we've gone too far into the elitist route that I'm not sure there's any road back now, unless there's a massive fundamental change in the education system.

• Praise 3

Honestly, this is the result of decades of education (or "brainwashing"). "Must study hard, get good jobs". The entire system has been designed to channel Singaporeans into white collar jobs, so obviously nobody that has gone through our education system here wants a job that involves actual physical work.

This is one of the greatest failings of Singapore's policies IMO, in that they have never really thought about who will do the so-called dirty jobs that in actual fact enables the country to run efficiently. If you make everyone bankers or lawyers, nobody will drive the buses, sweep the floors, build your buildings. Then there's a huge void there and you have to utilise measures such as cheap foreign labour, which brings about its own social problems which we are seeing now.

In other countries, people like garbage men, construction workers, bus drivers etc are all highly respected, and more importantly, well-paid (at least enough to make a decent living). Over here we've gone too far into the elitist route that I'm not sure there's any road back now, unless there's a massive fundamental change in the education system.

Sorry bro.. wats worse is the open leg policy for overseas biz to set up.. and blatantly hire there own countrymen.. simi quota? Pay levy can liao..

In a way yes. The long hours on the road meant they have to be exposed to the possibilities of causing/get implicated in traffic accidents. The increase in pay will make the job more attractive to the locals. There must be a possibility of getting higher salaries than with existing roles more acceptable to locals. Indeed, the ministers might need to get down on the ground to see the picture.

They are too high up and will never get down..

Sorry bro.. wats worse is the open leg policy for overseas biz to set up.. and blatantly hire there own countrymen.. simi quota? Pay levy can liao..

That is the by-product of the education policy. Cos they realised too late, aiya, all our locals, we told them not to do these jobs, then now nobody do, what to do.

So they flood the country with all these foreigners, cos if not, nobody do, the country cannot function.

Oh pls. We are already going towards driverless taxi, operated by AI. And our garment is serious abt this.

no one will argue who will steal rice bowl. Everyone will be screwed by robots.

​Driverless taxi, bus still got a long way to go.

​Currently GPS still quite dumb and will not illigal U-turn, when there is a construction going on recently and there is a slight diversation of route, map still not updated, GPS will missed the exit and reculate and end up go longer route. There is also where in the Tunnel no GPS signal.

​So all these how to go driverless taxi and bus? Still long way man..

• Praise 1

Bus driver need to be citizen then can drive? i thought so many drivers were hired from malaysia and china.

Oh, you didn't know we have this clever 'quota' system to limit people who wish to work in Singapore where Singaporean do not want these jobs whilst we welcome FT that take away jobs Singaporeans want without quota? [smash]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1