Maths problem

Sosaria

1... its not math qn

2.. ans is july 16

''but I know that Bernard does not know too'' means may june is out.. coz if its 18 or 19 .. its a specific month.

''At first I don't know when Cheryl's birthday is, but I know now''

based on the remaining dates.. the only common date is 16july

amended below

Why is May and June eliminated? only the 2 dates should be eliminated and not the 2 months?

↡ Advertisement

Why is May and June eliminated? only the 2 dates should be eliminated and not the 2 months?

exact phrasing.. '' i dont know when cheryl's birthday is, but i know bernard does not know also''

from the guy who knows the month... for him to be able to say that ... he HAS to know that it CANNOT be in MAY and JUNE

kapish?

Turbocharged

d england grammar sucks arse how to answer when cannot understand wat its asking?

Yes, at first I was confused by the word "day" that they used in the question. They actually meant "date".

I was confused how to solve the question if Bernard only knows the "day".

Yes, at first I was confused by the word "day" that they used in the question. They actually meant "date".

I was confused how to solve the question if Bernard only knows the "day".

was chatting wif some frens n they said nowadays the maths questions are abt understanding the english question phrase instead of a straightforward question.

Has teaching standards come to the point that teachers have to twist maths question by using colorful or confusing english grammar? that is ridiculous IMO

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

was chatting wif some frens n they said nowadays the maths questions are abt understanding the english question phrase instead of a straightforward question.

Has teaching standards come to the point that teachers have to twist maths question by using colorful or confusing english grammar? that is ridiculous IMO

Even in my day (25 or more years ago) math has ALWAYS been about interpreting the question - just as is science, history, geography...

If nothing else - the ONE thing you want your kid to graduate with is good english reading and comprehension skills.

And frankly - it's something I largely agree with - with computers, and readily available apps etc to do "calculations", understanding what is needed and formulating the equation / inputs is the skill - not doing long division, finding the square root, lowest common multiple or whatever else....

Edited by Darryn

Seriously, I really don't know the answer even after reading the Q so many times....

For a P5 maths, it must be damned freaking difficult ...

I think the teacher who set this Q, must be one of the 3 ppl indicated in the Q... catch no balls, so have to ask everyone :D

Even in my day (25 or more years ago) math has ALWAYS been about interpreting the question - just as is science, history, geography...

If nothing else - the ONE thing you want your kid to graduate with is good english reading and comprehension skills.

And frankly - it's something I largely agree with - with computers, and readily available apps etc to do "calculations", understanding what is needed and formulating the equation / inputs is the skill - not doing long division, finding the square root, lowest common multiple or whatever else....

how can kids have good engrand glammar when their teachers set maths questions with grammatical errorz? lolz

Turbocharged

how can kids have good engrand glammar when their teachers set maths questions with grammatical errorz? lolz

:wub:[grouphug][sunny]

Cannot praizes you so fast ----

But agree lor,

And besides the grammar - the question is poorly phrased as well...

:wub:[grouphug][sunny]

Cannot praizes you so fast ----

But agree lor,

And besides the grammar - the question is poorly phrased as well...

also the question setting is nonsensical n doesnt relate to real work problems...

Seriously, I really don't know the answer even after reading the Q so many times....

For a P5 maths, it must be damned freaking difficult ...

I think the teacher who set this Q, must be one of the 3 ppl indicated in the Q... catch no balls, so have to ask everyone :D

Maybe can ask "Famous Amos" for answer ... [sly]

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

also the question setting is nonsensical n doesnt relate to real work problems...

In troubleshooting technical problems, we sometimes have to employ the same logic, i.e. eliminating impossible combinations, to isolate the actual cause of the fault.

The thinking is the same. But largely only for technical issues. Maybe for CSI also, in law enforcement [laugh]

In troubleshooting technical problems, we sometimes have to employ the same logic, i.e. eliminating impossible combinations, to isolate the actual cause of the fault.

The thinking is the same. But largely only for technical issues. Maybe for CSI also, in law enforcement [laugh]

The difference is that we are adults, and have undergone years of education; whereas they are children of age 10 or 11yo ....

We cannot set questions based on our adults' mind, on 10/11yo kids....

Turbocharged

The difference is that we are adults, and have undergone years of education; whereas they are children of age 10 or 11yo ....

That education has to start somewhere though right?

Whether P5 is the "right" place is a different issue....

I still couldn't get pass the 1st statement, why the whole month of May and June are eliminated just becoz of the 1st statement. Can only eliminate the two unique date May 19 and June 18.

but thats likely how education standards have been progressing, so the question of whether famous amos shld be charged as a minor or adult shld b questioned...?

Edited by Duckduck

I still couldn't get pass the 1st statement, why the whole month of May and June are eliminated just becoz of the 1st statement. Can only eliminate the two unique date May 19 and June 18.

exact phrasing.. '' i dont know when cheryl's birthday is, but i know bernard does not know also''

from the guy who knows the month...

for him to be able to say that ... he HAS to know that it CANNOT be in MAY and JUNE

if the guy who knows the month is may OR june... he cannot say that bernard does not know..

• Praise 1

I don't even know what she was saying .... [sweatdrop]

I did not understand it as well...maybe too engrossed by her hand actions. Will be hard for students (esp those in sec school) to concentrate in class with such a teacher lol.

↡ Advertisement