Magnifying glass
  • Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
29 replies to this topic | 103 praises

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:20 AM

Columbian78
  • Columbian78
    5th Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Just wondering. Is it because:

1. The new versions of that car model is coming soon?

2. They don't keep demo cars beyond certain mileage of test driving as they become "old cars". What would this mileage be? This question also got me thinking. Do they break in the new car before it goes on demo duties? We know usually the first 1000km of new cars is on mineral EO and not performing as normal.

3. They are replenishing with new cars for those particular models? This is related to when ADs sell the whole range of demo cars.

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:33 AM

2Fast2Furious
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

It is comon to find ADs selling their test drive and showroom cars after certain period. It is not consider a new practise in the industry. Usually ADs will give $2-5k discount when they sell off those cars.

Edited by 13177, 30 July 2013 - 09:33 AM.

Clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.
Life is very fragile. Nobody knows what's gonna happen next.

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:36 AM

Tianmo
  • Premium member
    Tianmo
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

It is comon to find ADs selling their test drive and showroom cars after certain period. It is not consider a new practise in the industry. Usually ADs will give $2-5k discount when they sell off those cars.

you go see skoda.........many models have one pc per color...............if the color you want happen to be in the showroom.............that is the car you get..............no showroom car discount............. laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
芸芸人海,罪孽深重,神佛不渡,唯我魔渡

with the spirit of the MCF tiko club..............We are................ TIKO RANGERS!!!

Posted 06 November 2016 - 06:40 PM

Sdf4786k
  • Premium member
    Sdf4786k
    5th Gear
    Author Image

there seems to be a fair bit of demo cars / test drive being sold at a 3 to 5 k discount unregistered.

Gone are the days where Demo cars were only sold to rental companys.

I suppose IF I were to get a demo car , minimum it would need to be at least 30 K for big brand contis looking at the  video

Still2016 praised this

Posted 06 November 2016 - 07:11 PM

Spring
  • Premium member
    Spring
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

there seems to be a fair bit of demo cars / test drive being sold at a 3 to 5 k discount unregistered.

Gone are the days where Demo cars were only sold to rental companys.

I suppose IF I were to get a demo car , minimum it would need to be at least 30 K for big brand contis looking at the video

No AD will sell u a demo car at $30k off cos that's a big chunk of their margin and some don't even earn that much. From what I know Jap bnb cars likely only few k off whilst for the premium brands, u might get more than $10k off but likely after it chalks up some mileage.

I won't get it but there is a good response from what I know at PML for their Mgmt cars so I suppose is to each his own?
Angcheek, Still2016, Pinobii, car50, Carbon82, Mercs, BanCoe and 1 other member praised this

Posted 06 November 2016 - 07:23 PM

AhChong
  • AhChong
    1st Gear
    Author Image

Demo cars are those in the showroom. They are different from cars for test drive. I would think demo cars are better than the latter as they are not driven.

What are management cars? Are the the same as event cars? I know some event cars lack the full features as they are just to drive some VIPs around during a specific event.

Posted 06 November 2016 - 07:46 PM

Eyke
  • Premium member
    Eyke
    Supercharged
    Author Image

Demo cars are those in the showroom.What are management cars? Are the the same as event cars? I know some event cars lack the full features as they are just to drive some VIPs around during a specific event.

Demo == Test Drive

Display is those on display in showroom

Mgmt cars is those given to dealership mgmt to use as perk of job

AhChong and car50 praised this

Posted 06 November 2016 - 08:04 PM

therock
  • therock
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Just wondering. Is it because:

1. The new versions of that car model is coming soon?

2. They don't keep demo cars beyond certain mileage of test driving as they become "old cars". What would this mileage be? This question also got me thinking. Do they break in the new car before it goes on demo duties? We know usually the first 1000km of new cars is on mineral EO and not performing as normal.

3. They are replenishing with new cars for those particular models? This is related to when ADs sell the whole range of demo cars.

IMHO

ADs need to keep some cars for demo, but you won't want to keep them there for too long, such that they show wear and tear - eg the HRV in the Leng Kee showroom has a torn leather gear shift - not very nice looking.

So you sell it, and keep them fresh. 

Break in? Nah, I doubt it..

The other reason I suspect, is so that they can run promotions.

See those ads, which say "FROM 100k"?

Then you read the fine print, and it's a demo car. The new car may cost a lot more, but that 100k tagline brings in a lot of readers and hopefully some buyers.

As for management units, well, again, eventually the dealers need to put cars on the road, and it's a win win. Offer some units for your staff to drive a bit or offer them at events, then sell them cheaper, get publicity and put cars on the road, and meet the annual quota.

Good for them, good for buyers who don't mind a slightly used car either. 

Posted 06 November 2016 - 09:06 PM

Davidtch
  • Premium member
    Davidtch
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

My Mini was 6mth old test drive car with 3k km when I bought it.

I got 30k off.

Has been driving since Jan 14 w/o issue.

Posted 07 November 2016 - 12:36 PM

Sdf4786k
  • Premium member
    Sdf4786k
    5th Gear
    Author Image

My Mini was 6mth old test drive car with 3k km when I bought it.

I got 30k off.

Has been driving since Jan 14 w/o issue.

Yeah. That's what I thot. The factory would have being given one off prices for demo n training, product awareness and marketing campaign that is written off.

Posted 07 November 2016 - 12:51 PM

2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

How often does AD change their test drive cars and sell them off? Noticed they seems to change their test drive cars quite fast, cause as you can see the different colour of the car used?!

Posted 07 November 2016 - 01:05 PM

therock
  • therock
    5th Gear
    Author Image

That means the demo cars have no blemish and are easier to sell.

Posted 07 November 2016 - 04:30 PM

Columbian78
  • Columbian78
    5th Gear
    Author Image

I am the threadstarter but I forgot why I started this thread?

Anyway, I suddenly thought of asking about those test drive cars that don't have std number plate and need to put the temporary trade plates. Are they registered and with coe? Or they are allowed for test drive purposes, AD just need to pay factory for them (omv) and if end of the day nobody wants they can just scrap it or export.

Posted 07 November 2016 - 04:35 PM

2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Anyway, I suddenly thought of asking about those test drive cars that don't have std number plate and need to put the temporary trade plates. Are they registered and with coe? Or they are allowed for test drive purposes, AD just need to pay factory for them (omv) and if end of the day nobody wants they can just scrap it or export.

You mean AD might scrap and export those test drive cars if nobody buy?

Posted 07 November 2016 - 04:37 PM

Loki
  • Premium member
    Loki
    Supercharged
    Author Image

IMHO

ADs need to keep some cars for demo, but you won't want to keep them there for too long, such that they show wear and tear - eg the HRV in the Leng Kee showroom has a torn leather gear shift - not very nice looking.

So you sell it, and keep them fresh. 

Break in? Nah, I doubt it..

The other reason I suspect, is so that they can run promotions.

See those ads, which say "FROM 100k"?

Then you read the fine print, and it's a demo car. The new car may cost a lot more, but that 100k tagline brings in a lot of readers and hopefully some buyers.

As for management units, well, again, eventually the dealers need to put cars on the road, and it's a win win. Offer some units for your staff to drive a bit or offer them at events, then sell them cheaper, get publicity and put cars on the road, and meet the annual quota.

Good for them, good for buyers who don't mind a slightly used car either. 

Cars all break in by car jockeys when they offload from ships. 

I used to live in West Coast area and lots of times, I would see the cars being driven by the car jockeys from the ports to wherever.  If you've every seen the way the car jockeys drive those brand new cars, you won't ever be wondering about whether there is a proper "break in" for new cars.

Posted 07 November 2016 - 04:40 PM

Apple-Tree
  • Premium member
    Apple-Tree
    5th Gear
    Author Image

I think the test drive car have not paid any duty/OMV/GST for approved merchant lor.

LTA give them up to 6 months of grace period to register ba ......  The penalty of these car become phantom car also very high lor.

Get your SE to confirm.

As for seller selling these demo car ....... Mazda EVERY WEEK sell demo car lor ......  I think it is a gimmick lor...

Aaronlkl and Columbian78 praised this

Posted 07 November 2016 - 04:46 PM

Benarsenal
  • Benarsenal
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

My understanding is that generally, the period is usually 6 months before they sell. Some might be sooner.

Edited by Benarsenal, 07 November 2016 - 04:47 PM.

Mercs praised this

Posted 07 November 2016 - 04:47 PM

Spring
  • Premium member
    Spring
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Cars all break in by car jockeys when they offload from ships. 

I used to live in West Coast area and lots of times, I would see the cars being driven by the car jockeys from the ports to wherever.  If you've every seen the way the car jockeys drive those brand new cars, you won't ever be wondering about whether there is a proper "break in" for new cars.

These days, I think they use car trailers to bring the car from the ship to wherever. I don't think they get car jockeys to do this anymore cos it's labour intensive and there could be mishaps along the way, not to mention these car jockeys whack the car.

Think there is still someone who will drive the car onto the trailers and downloading from it but that would be minimal I guess and in a tight environment so I guess more controlled?

Angcheek and Mercs praised this

Posted 07 November 2016 - 04:59 PM

Adrianli
  • Premium member
    Adrianli
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

I bought a two year old 29.5k km management car. Still looks and smells like new car. [:p] It comes with a brand new car plate number too.

Edited by Adrianli, 07 November 2016 - 05:02 PM.

Uncle2 praised this

Posted 07 November 2016 - 05:06 PM

Eyke
  • Premium member
    Eyke
    Supercharged
    Author Image

These days, I think they use car trailers to bring the car from the ship to wherever. 

is unload from ship time, that is still by drivers

Back to General Car Discussion  ·  Cars Top Reply to this topic
SgCarMart Quotz

Quick Reply

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users