Opel Car Owners - Pls fall in

Ngjs

(edited)

Current version if I'm not wrong is using 6 speed auto. From my colleague whom have own 2 Opel till date, so far so good. But he avoided the 1.8 version due to the mta gearbox which many complain abt. Didn't really heard him complain abt much breakdown or wat.. Drives during NSHW is good, car feels planted to the ground n stable when I'm a passenger :)

2.2 & current 1.4 auto both are using 6 speed auto.. Dunno why the 1.8 appear with the mta which is a major turn off I think

Even the 1.8 MTA 2005 yr onwards one is ok. Major turn off isn't the engine or the car, it was the competence or rather lack of it from the workshop. Every single problem to them will take them relatively a long time to fix. They don't repair parts, they simply order the entire part/assy from Opel/GM to replace, that is why their repair cost and turn around time is forever so long.

Even a simple oil and filter change with car wash and some points check ( which I can assure you, not all are done properly), needs almost 1 working day. eg. turn car over at 9am, get car back at 4pm or later.

And they aren't many alternatives out there due to a lack of volume of this brand.

Edited by Sabretan
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Even the 1.8 MTA 2005 yr onwards one is ok. Major turn off isn't the engine or the car, it was the competence or rather lack of it from the workshop. Every single problem to them will take them relatively a long time to fix. They don't repair parts, they simply order the entire part/assy from Opel/GM to replace, that is why their repair cost and turn around time is forever so long.

Even a simple oil and filter change with car wash and some points check ( which I can assure you, not all are done properly), needs almost 1 working day. eg. turn car over at 9am, get car back at 4pm or later.

And they aren't many alternatives out there due to a lack of volume of this brand.

Ya i agreed. Hopefully after the launch of astra this year, things will turn around cos i feels they do make good cars. But its such a pity that its not widely accepted locally making it very under rated.

Supercharged

Do you all patronise outside workshop like ck, autofix ? I was looking for resale zaifra and couldnt find any. Went to lta site to check up and found the number of new opels registered really dismal.

Do you all patronise outside workshop like ck, autofix ? I was looking for resale zaifra and couldnt find any. Went to lta site to check up and found the number of new opels registered really dismal.

I feel that Opel really makes good cars just that lack of marketing which explains y. For example fastfood, we think of Macdonald, sports brand = Nike, Adidas. Its the magic of marketing. If they buck up on marketing as well as after sales support, surely sales will pick up. If VW can sell with the DSG, no reason Opel cmi...... lol

I think opel is more reliable than vw. Distributor plays a part as well

I agree on that. 6 speed auto, 5 years unlimited milleage warranty, sharing GM platform with other brand. Reliability is ok i suppose. But after sales i'm not so sure liao. Thats wat most Opel owners feels i guess. The aft sales support needs some bucking up.

Ya i agreed. Hopefully after the launch of astra this year, things will turn around cos i feels they do make good cars. But its such a pity that its not widely accepted locally making it very under rated.

very true !!!

Astra be launched end of this month...but I am no longer keen in Opel. ( 2016 car of the Year , winning over Volvo...wonder how they did it ?)

New opel owner here. Posted the below in Jaguar XE thread...

Test driven JAG XE - Didn't like the space, engine noise, vibrating steering and no knowledge female SE. Depre for Jag is 160k-16k = 14.4k/yr. However, love the badge, the atas feel. Imagine gg to office in a Jag, envious looks and talking point for many colleagues? I can live without that.

Mercs - Test driven the GLA 180 crossover - Looks beautiful. However, 121 HP, screaming engine and plasticky interior didn't attract me. Price was 160k which includes the overtrade of my car (they take in paper ONLY) and finance 2.68%. Depre is 160k - 13k = 14.7k/yr. Comes with 3k service credits. Possible equal to 3 yrs servicing.

Went to expo, spoke to SE on Opel Insignia. Decent car, average looks, fairly spacious interior. Test driven it. Sound insulation slightly above average, responsive engine and pick up (though 0-100km is 9.9s only, the feel is faster), most importantly, the cost make sense.

I was offered 5 yrs servicing, 5 yrs warranty, 1.99% loan interest and the usual freebies of car cam/gps/solar film etc. Depre = 120k-15k =10.5k/yr. Most people say I am siao, drive lexus now downgrade to Opel. For me, I remind myself I want a car that doesn't explicitly says I am uncle (camry, teana), or sebei huat professional (BMW/Jag/Mercs) or budget guy (pt A-B car).

The Opel Insignia happens to pitched at a level of Camry/Mazda 6 2L version level but as a continental option. Yes, I expect more problems after 5 years. Thats the issue with conti/lifestyle cars. Perhaps I will spend another 20k after that to drive till 10 years. But depre wise, it will be 12.5k/yr. I factored this in already. If I spend lesser than that, its a bonus.

For the sake of comparison, Opel Insignia imo drives better than Volvo S60, Camry 2.0 and quieter than Infinit Q50. It comes with only 6 speed gear box, all around sensors, memory seats (driver only), 4 doors (keyless entry), free maps updating at servicing, locally fitted seats and GPS, reverse cam, 18 inch sport rims (no spare tyres though!) and free 1 year insurance cap at 1.5k. I was given a verbal guarantee that I will get COE in June when car arrives.

Eventually I bought it mainly for upfront savings and long term balanced reasons though in terms of equipment level, it falls behind the more well known conti cars

My 2 cents thought process.

• Praise 1

(edited)

Was driving the previous Meriva and like it. Sold it coz afraid mta will break down. Was considering the new meriva but the boot is unable to put golf bags. Now looking at 2009 Astra 1.8 sedan.

Buyers will compare opel to jap and other continue cars. Opel pricing could be an issue, aftersales is an issue. If Chevy can sell there should be no problem with Opel. They may not be positioning themselves correctly. Like Skoda, they are essentially vw but local distributor trying to position it as a high end brand

Edited by Weesern

Congrats on your new ride. [thumbsup]

Test driven JAG XE - Didn't like the space, engine noise, vibrating steering and no knowledge female SE. Depre for Jag is 160k-16k = 14.4k/yr. However, love the badge, the atas feel. Imagine gg to office in a Jag, envious looks and talking point for many colleagues? I can live without that.

Mercs - Test driven the GLA 180 crossover - Looks beautiful. However, 121 HP, screaming engine and plasticky interior didn't attract me. Price was 160k which includes the overtrade of my car (they take in paper ONLY) and finance 2.68%. Depre is 160k - 13k = 14.7k/yr. Comes with 3k service credits. Possible equal to 3 yrs servicing.

Went to expo, spoke to SE on Opel Insignia. Decent car, average looks, fairly spacious interior. Test driven it. Sound insulation slightly above average, responsive engine and pick up (though 0-100km is 9.9s only, the feel is faster), most importantly, the cost make sense.

I was offered 5 yrs servicing, 5 yrs warranty, 1.99% loan interest and the usual freebies of car cam/gps/solar film etc. Depre = 120k-15k =10.5k/yr. Most people say I am siao, drive lexus now downgrade to Opel. For me, I remind myself I want a car that doesn't explicitly says I am uncle (camry, teana), or sebei huat professional (BMW/Jag/Mercs) or budget guy (pt A-B car).

The Opel Insignia happens to pitched at a level of Camry/Mazda 6 2L version level but as a continental option. Yes, I expect more problems after 5 years. Thats the issue with conti/lifestyle cars. Perhaps I will spend another 20k after that to drive till 10 years. But depre wise, it will be 12.5k/yr. I factored this in already. If I spend lesser than that, its a bonus.

For the sake of comparison, Opel Insignia imo drives better than Volvo S60, Camry 2.0 and quieter than Infinit Q50. It comes with only 6 speed gear box, all around sensors, memory seats (driver only), 4 doors (keyless entry), free maps updating at servicing, locally fitted seats and GPS, reverse cam, 18 inch sport rims (no spare tyres though!) and free 1 year insurance cap at 1.5k. I was given a verbal guarantee that I will get COE in June when car arrives.

Eventually I bought it mainly for upfront savings and long term balanced reasons though in terms of equipment level, it falls behind the more well known conti cars

Congrats on ur new ride bro.. Insignia is a very under rated car I feel. With the technologies its providing vs the price it's asking. Really hard to get a match.

Congrats on ur new ride bro.. Insignia is a very under rated car I feel. With the technologies its providing vs the price it's asking. Really hard to get a match.

You mean its overpriced?  forgive me my English is not good.

You mean its overpriced? forgive me my English is not good.

Value for money I mean. Test driven it before.. The 170 horses are pretty lively. Built quality n gadgets are there, omv around 27k, as informed by the SE. Dep slightly over 10k, it's a good buy I feel. But I'm abit skeptical about the after sales service.. Trying to find out from my Opel owner friends where they sent their car for servicing n parts purchase other then going to AD

My dad used to drive Opel Omega.very comfortable and drive was great. Other than its weight and overheating issue, no other complaints! Maybe I should go check out the insignia. My quibble about the SE is that they don't seem to be as enthusiastic.

My dad used to drive Opel Omega.very comfortable and drive was great. Other than its weight and overheating issue, no other complaints! Maybe I should go check out the insignia. My quibble about the SE is that they don't seem to be as enthusiastic.

LOL, most of them are in a retiring mode... they have to be in that mode because of the no of sales they made each month.  damn vicious cycle. Young and ambitious SEs r rare if not extinct there.

go check it out. You will be impress unless u r tall and happen to be a rear passenger.

the last round when i was there, the SE by the name of Jasper served me. you can look for him. told him i not buying today but he still serve me with enthu. understand that they dont work like daily, but if you manage to go down, can check him out. definiately the better service SE around. if you need his no, can pm me.

the last round when i was there, the SE by the name of Jasper served me. you can look for him. told him i not buying today but he still serve me with enthu. understand that they dont work like daily, but if you manage to go down, can check him out. definiately the better service SE around. if you need his no, can pm me.

OPEL SE are typically bad in service......:(

Sales Executive are the least of worries . Aftersales is the real problem. Parts and service support determines the health of the car for the 10 years on the road.

↡ Advertisement