Engine got switched off during cruising.

Versatile

Ok, it happens to me this morning at CTE expressway.

Was cruising at around 80km/hr and suddenly engine got switched off and all warning light's starts to pop (engine check light, steering lock etc).

I did not start to re-crank as the car is still moving and i worried if i re-crank it might damage the engine.

funny thing was it automatically "resume" my engine after 3-6sec without re-crank.

Anyone encountered before? I'm considered lucky as the the engine did not switch off at a bend...

I'm pretty worried and concern now as i still have night appointments later..

Edited by Versatile
↡ Advertisement

Was cruising at around 80km/hr and suddenly engine got switched off and all warning light's starts to pop (engine check light, steering lock etc).

I did not start to re-crank as the car is still moving and i worried if i re-crank it might damage the engine.

funny thing was it automatically "resume" my engine after 3-6sec without re-crank.

Anyone encountered before? I'm considered lucky as the the engine did not switch off at a bend...

Suzuki Swift? Think someone posted before that the engine auto off due to key & immobilizer contact thingy.

(edited)

Suzuki Swift? Think someone posted before that the engine auto off due to key & immobilizer contact thingy.

Yes. Swift sport.

Thanks for the heads up. Do you have the exact article about this issue?

I tried searching for it but no valid. Same in swift club forums.

Edited by Versatile

(edited)

Suddenly engine got switched off while driving?! So scary and dangerous. :blink:

Yes bro, Unfortunately it did happens.

Fortunate thing was the brake still working and switched off at a straight road instead of a bend.

Some friends said could be piggyback problem (yes i have piggback) and that few sec switched off could be stock ECU taking over from piggback but that doesn't make sense because it does not explain how the engine automatically switched on back after few sec without a re crank.

Edited by Versatile

just curious - could it be freeplay between immobilizer module in key n ignition switch side? last time tried to replicate my rsz orig key to flip type but when tried cannot detect causing engine to start n stop.

Neutral Newbie

Bro did tuning to cams timing also? Improper tuning of cams will have the problem. Experienced on my car previously. Not a SSS though.

Your gears are engage when engine stalled? If yes, the turning of your wheels will start the again again. Theory is the same as you push start your car when no battery.

Better send the car to WS while it still can move. Seems dangerous to me.

Maybe can try this method,go to a empty road,try 'shaking' the key,see will cause the engine switch off or not.?If the engine switch off,it comfirm the key or ignition switch got problem.

Turbocharged

Suddenly engine got switched off while driving?! So scary and dangerous. :blink:

Yah man, engine brake can kick in quite quickly and cause a drastic slowdown right? The car behind if cannot slow down in time will be hong gan liaoz.

Neutral Newbie

Happened to me before due to piggyback instsllation. Engine just shut off while driving, even steering is locked. Better remove yr piggyback to reconfirm.

Sounds like your alternator. Better get it checked and changed once confirmed. It's dangerous because it can fail at any point in time.

Engine off, no power steering, brakes last for at most a few pumps, sudden slowdown without brake lights...

You are a road hazard!

Recalled a woman was killed when her VW went into limp mode and sudden slowdown, the truck behind mowed into her.

I suggest TS have a look at his rid spark plugs, chances you may have use a wrong heat range plugs. Over heated plugs can cause spark failure.

Edited by Yeobh

Yah man, engine brake can kick in quite quickly and cause a drastic slowdown right? The car behind if cannot slow down in time will be hong gan liaoz.

If behind is a speeding tua loli den really hong gan.

Previously read abt VW suddenly lost of acceleration and driver got killed by a truck behind it. Happened in Australia iirc..

↡ Advertisement