Finally TP recognizes speedsters caught on car camera videos

Darthrevan

Notice the news article is specifically (intentionally?) talking about speeding offences only.

Is it possible to determine speeding by video alone?

As for other offences like reckless driving, I have yet to see anyone sharing any experience of TP taking concrete action against offenders after they sent in clear videos with offer to testify. They only seem to take action on those that make it to social media like the KPE racing recently.

The article and what was quoted were different. I'm guessing the reporter sensationalising things. I think someone here was probably fined for crossing double white lines via cam, but as long as we don't pay to see the evidence or contest the charge, we won't know how the police spotted the offence.

↡ Advertisement

File your police report online. Going down is a waste of time.

http://www.spf.gov.sg/epc/

You could do that, but the divisional side may not file it properly. Traffic violations use a different report form which is not on the epc site. You'll be better off just emailing TP with the video, an account of the violation (when, where, etc), and add in that you will be willing to testify in court.

The article and what was quoted were different. I'm guessing the reporter sensationalising things. I think someone here was probably fined for crossing double white lines via cam, but as long as we don't pay to see the evidence or contest the charge, we won't know how the police spotted the offence.

I ever kana summon for a weird offence. I wanted to see the picture but the officer said can but i have to pay $80 for the purchase of the pictures. I went all the way to maxwell just for him to say that. The summon says my bike was snapped for making an improper line up in a junction in AMK. I lan lan pay up. [:(]

Ya only those too free wil do.

Wait TP ask u go their office lim kopi 3 times a week to help in investigations till u sian. End up ty decide not to charge suspect cos info not reliable. Hahaha.

Yr VidCam has not been calibrated how to stand up in court? How accurate is yr displayed speed? Suspect just deny he speeding n just say the VidCam speed not accurate. [sly]

Why wud pple wan to kapo? Just drive n mind yr own business n life wil b so much easier.

most major junctions (including accident prone ones) have surveillance cameras.

even expressway also have cameras mounted on lamp posts.

if given the correct location, can easily measure the speed of a moving vehicle.

don't play play... ah gong looking from up there all the time -_-

It's not accurate at least not without knowing the height at the point on the vehicle they're targeting. So do they charge for speeding between 1 and 20kmh over the speed limit, 21 to 30kmh, 31 to 40, 41 to 50, 51 to 60 or 61kmh and more over the speed limit?

Speed can be gauged by noting how fast the car passes by two fixed features at the location captured, e.g. lamp posts, trees, etc.

Of course this is just a rough average and borderline cases will probably be given benefit of doubt.

Regarding this scheme, I doubt people want to take the trouble of being eye-witness. So I don't think it will be very effective.

Even worse than using fixed big brother cams. They need to know the exact point of the camera (height, where it was in relation to the speeding vehicle, etc), height of the point used to measure the speed, speed of the camera, etc.

Ya only those too free wil do.

Wait TP ask u go their office lim kopi 3 times a week to help in investigations till u sian. End up ty decide not to charge suspect cos info not reliable. Hahaha.

Yr VidCam has not been calibrated how to stand up in court? How accurate is yr displayed speed? Suspect just deny he speeding n just say the VidCam speed not accurate. [sly]

Why wud pple wan to kapo? Just drive n mind yr own business n life wil b so much easier.

You can never discount the possibilities of people having a 'righteous' and self appreciating public spirit!

Math!

Speed = Distance / time.

From video we can get the distance and time.

Of course if the video slightly blur it won't be exact but who's going to contest? [;)]

The problem is measuring the various distances. That is why, even with the ferrari case, there's only an estimate of speed.

I believe the time stamp function can be turned off in certain cameras.

also TP must also factor in possibility of people editing the video?

Thats ok. At most the witness kenna slapped with giving a false statement, or preferably perjury in court [laugh]

Sinkaporean are really born losers! Likes to sabo each other! well done! [lipsrsealed]

To those TP wannabe sabo kings: Make sure u signal every intentions, don't illegal park, don't cross double white line, don't beat amber lights and last but not least, Slip road to and from expressways are only 50km/h. Make sure u morons stick to that speed limit otherwise u may be sabo by ur own species! [rifle] [rifle] [rifle]

Get a life!

Ah hah! There's a mistake. The speed on slip roads is not 50kmh. Slip roads are for you to accelerate or decelerate from the road speed to expressway speed and vice versa.

Caught a speedster on camera? Send clip to cops

The next time your in-car surveillance camera captures a speeding motorist on the roads, don't just upload it online. Send it to the Traffic Police, too.

The authorities said video recordings of possible traffic violations are used in their investigations, and encouraged the public to send the clips if they lodge a police report against errant drivers.

"Members of the public who have original footage of such videos are advised to provide them at the earliest opportunity to the Traffic Police," it said in response to queries from The Straits Times.

Such investigations also require support from eyewitnesses with information to come forward, it added.

Source: http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-news/...p-cops-20130805

The last sentence is the most important.

until you accidentally do a few km/h over the speed limit, or cut across the double white line 50cm too early and some kay poh posts a video of you ><

seems more like video vigilantism to me ... every small thing also report ...

Actually TP is quite good most of the time. Other than the KPE, the speed tolerances are quite large, and they also don't both to summon unless its blatent i.e. chances are unless you have a history of crossing double white lines, they won't summon you if its at the edge of it. If you cross in the middle, then boh bian.

i know .. but there's a few nuts out there. if tp dont do the job, they will think its their right to tailgate you la, flash high beam la, horn like an idiot. vigilantism lo ...

idk. i know you are right that there's leeway, but this could be the tipping point if everyday people just submit video after video of every small issue. we are becoming an intolerant society already >< this just makes it worse.

Too many out there. Another sign of Singaporeans being overly stressed and tired.

You can never discount the possibilities of people having a 'righteous' and self appreciating public spirit!

Actually these r idiots cos ty end up working fr TP but got no salary.

Those earning the salary no need to go out n catch. Ty just sit canteen lim kopi n wait for these stupid idiots to come n act smart. Hahaha. [laugh]

I believe in SG there r actually pple stupid enough to come n submit videos against other motorists. [scholar]

TP wil b laughing all the way to the toilet. [laugh]

But I think this is more for those very obvious/serious offences la. Like beat red light or really speeding very fast just like that red car and black car recently. A few km/h above very hard to show in the video plus they usually give alittle bit of allowance for speeding ma.

Going by the trend, the likely targets are red light beaters, speeding lorries and trucks and buses/coaches and of course reckless driving.

Home Team short of man-power and comes up with free labour strategy and name it as " Youtube Officers " [idea]

Can always sub-out to Cisco or Aetos under the umbrella of "enforcement".

Actually TP is quite good most of the time. Other than the KPE, the speed tolerances are quite large, and they also don't both to summon unless its blatent i.e. chances are unless you have a history of crossing double white lines, they won't summon you if its at the edge of it. If you cross in the middle, then boh bian.

Ya XXX eway pple do 130kmh also never kenna. [lipsrsealed]

But seriously, some pple drive <90kmh also not safe so how? They special n can only drive 50kmh?

I guess speed is one factor but stupidity is a bigger factor. [nod]

yep somehow I also have the impression our TP has stoop to level of "daring" the offender to challenge them in court to look at video evidence.

I find it rather unbecoming. you want to charge someone for something you should show the evidence upfront to that someone. not keep it under wraps first and challenge that someone to challenge the evidence in court.

sounds more like gangster's piece of work.

Actually it's not. You are allowed to request for the evidence (whether its directly by the police or from someone else) after you receive the notice with no admission of guilt. Then you can decide if you want to contest it or pay the fine. This has always been the case.

↡ Advertisement